• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Whirling

Reaction score

Sure, she had a portfolio - it sucked. Terrible aesthetics, terrible UI and UX, horrible CMS.  ime, most of these companies, and SEO companies, range from bad to terrible.

I'm a very big proponent on keeping things as easy and simple as they can be.  About 1% of businesses need a built from scratch website.  For most, things like WP or other commercially available software will do as well. of not better, as any "custom" site, at a fraction of the cost.

This is a thread for discussing artisanal footwear. Let's try to stay focused. :)

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sure, she had a portfolio - it sucked. Terrible aesthetics, terrible UI and UX, horrible CMS. ime, most of these companies, and SEO companies, range from bad to terrible. I'm a very big proponent on keeping things as easy and simple as they can be. About 1% of businesses need a built from scratch website. For most, things like WP or other commercially available software will do as well. of not better, as any "custom" site, at a fraction of the cost.
Damn man so why the heck did he go for this person? Regarding a custom website its all about the needs of the client. I have friends that make custom wodpress sites and if a simple 5 page site (landing, contact, about me, product info, etc) its usually easier/better to just go with wordpress/ and spare the hassle. But once something grows and becomes bigger you will be forced out of wordpress. Honestly, it just depends on the situation. I am a purist so i prefer from scratch, i also am not a fan of CMS because it limits what i can do. On the other hand i am also an ROI kinda guy and getting **** done quickly is sometimes more important. Now that should never ever compromise quality.

Whirling

Reaction score

telling that to the owner of the website :p

yea sure fok and I can pm on that if necessary.

It was merely a joke. Hence, the ":)"

I used to be in tech and remember interviewing people who claimed to have years of database experience and couldn't write the most simple of SQL code.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It was merely a joke. Hence, the ":)"

I used to be in tech and remember interviewing people who claimed to have years of database experience and couldn't write the most simple of SQL code.

i know making fun right back :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn man so why the heck did he go for this person?

Regarding a custom website its all about the needs of the client. I have friends that make custom wodpress sites and if a simple 5 page site (landing, contact, about me, product info, etc) its usually easier/better to just go with wordpress/ and spare the hassle. But once something grows and becomes bigger you will be forced out of wordpress. Honestly, it just depends on the situation. I am a purist so i prefer from scratch, i also am not a fan of CMS because it limits what i can do. On the other hand i am also an ROI kinda guy and getting **** done quickly is sometimes more important. Now that should never ever compromise quality.
I am all about expediency. Being neither a developer nor a designer, but having had to manage some projects, "from scratch" is only good if you need something that cannot be done otherwise, and only if the ROI is there. I prefer out of the box solutions for the most part not just because of the lower cost, but also because many times, the software is evolved to a point where it will fit most needs, including those you haven't thought about yet.

And he went to this person because he has no idea how to find a designer (no network), what a good website should look like, etc... As in all consumer choices, the more informed consumer tends to get a better return.

This is a thread for discussing artisanal footwear. Let's try to stay focused. :)
Er... okay. So, here's one for you. "Artisanal" footwear is probably misnamed. In terms of actual artisan work, there are tons of single makers or small factories that make typically more "classic menswear" styles, that merit this title much more. A lot of the companies here are held together by a black stitch, one of the most simple machine techniques out there. There are exceptions, but those are definitely NOT the general rule.

How about we change the name of this thread to "arte povera inspired footwear", which is more accurate.

Matsa

Reaction score

Fixed for truth.

Case in point - a friend of mine, who is essentially computer illiterate, hired a "web designer" to create a website.  She charged $55/developer hour to make something that sucked.  Total charge around 2K.  I took a look at it, and not only was it looking like something straight of 2002, but the whole thing could have been done on Wordpress in a few hours.  Total cost of $300.  So I just had it done for him.  Worst part - the developer was super pissed and condescending when we asked for things like repointing the domain name, getting the code so that we could move the domain register to the new host, etc...

re cobblers - even if you are super specific, they can do crap jobs.  Best to 1) Put it down on paper, and 2) Be willing to pay whatever is asked when you find someone reliable.                                                                                                        

I second the world being full of crap everything. I had a Viridi Anne canvas bag ruined instead of repaired recently. Sure, it was quite damaged and I fully expected the repairs to be visible but on that type of bag that can look pretty cool. I didn't expect the tailor to put huge leather patches on the frickin outside though, and there are traces of glue in five or so places. He acted so proud too, told me it would be much more durable that way. Partly my own fault for not being clear enough about what I wanted but ffs.

Edit: This is one of the worst things about moving. I used to have a great guy for both this kind of thing and shoes, had almost the exact same repair done two years ago and they did a great job.

Last edited:

Whirling

Reaction score

Er... okay.  So, here's one for you.  "Artisanal" footwear is probably misnamed.  In terms of actual artisan work, there are tons of single makers or small factories that make typically more "classic menswear" styles, that merit this title much more.  A lot of the companies here are held together by a black stitch, one of the most simple machine techniques out there.  There are exceptions, but those are definitely NOT the general rule.

How about we change the name of this thread to "arte povera inspired footwear", which is more accurate.

You make an excellent point about the use of the term "artisanal" here being a little inaccurate. I certainly wouldn't object to the name of this thread being changed, but I don't feel I have any standing here to contribute to such a decision...I don't even own any of the listed brands yet...though I feel some M_MoriaBC will be in my future, unless I find the right true bespoke maker to put something together for me.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am all about expediency.  Being neither a developer nor a designer, but having had to manage some projects, "from scratch" is only good if you need something that cannot be done otherwise, and only if the ROI is there.  I prefer out of the box solutions for the most part not just because of the lower cost, but also because many times, the software is evolved to a point where it will fit most needs, including those you haven't thought about yet.

And he went to this person because he has no idea how to find a designer (no network), what a good website should look like, etc...  As in all consumer choices, the more informed consumer tends to get a better return.

Er... okay.  So, here's one for you.  "Artisanal" footwear is probably misnamed.  In terms of actual artisan work, there are tons of single makers or small factories that make typically more "classic menswear" styles, that merit this title much more.  A lot of the companies here are held together by a black stitch, one of the most simple machine techniques out there.  There are exceptions, but those are definitely NOT the general rule.

Yeap out the box is nice, depends on situation of course. i prefer custom.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy crap Glanton...I praise your patience. The cobbler just committed one of the greatest sins a cobbler could do.

I would email Layer-0 to try see if you could send it back to have them resole it. Probably gonna have to pay like couple hundred (if it's even possible, maybe someone here knows better) but at least it will be legit.

Please more pics! Collection pics maybe?

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two random thoughts:

1.) I don't think (I hope) that anyone here is under the illusion that any of this stuff is made by "artisans" working away in a small sunlit atelier in south Italy. Still, most of it is made in fairly low production runs with unique details that can be called "artisanal."

2.) I don't think the construction method should really inform the "artisanal" level. Just because a boot or shoe is blake stitched does not make it any more or less "artisanal." Layer-0 uses fairly simple construction on their boots - there's really nothing special to them. However, the focus is really on the leather treatment. Holding this stuff to the same standards as classic menswear doesn't really make sense.

That said, I hate the word "artisanal" for stuff obviously made in a factory, but arte povera sounds even more pretentious :)

Glanton

Reaction score
Unfortunately the cobbler is no longer in business (or fortunately?) and the emails I sent after the second "repair" didn't even get a reply. I live quite close to london so going there to find a cobbler shouldn't be too difficult but does anyone have any recommendations?

arnoldpettibone

Reaction score
Unfortunately the cobbler is no longer in business (or fortunately?) and the emails I sent after the second "repair" didn't even get a reply. I live quite close to london so going there to find a cobbler shouldn't be too difficult but does anyone have any recommendations?

contact the library where you purchased the boots and ask them if they could recommend a cobbler

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads