• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CONGRATS !!!!

You are now the familys tailor and champ. Did you ever think you would learn a new trade.

Soon to open the Paris of the prairies tailor shop?

If you need answers, we are here just ask.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks! Today was a bit tighter for personal time but I did a quick jeans-style hem (does it have a name?) on a pair of 5-pocket twill pants. A good press and pins weren't even necessary. It was a 20 minute job at most, including measurements.

Next up is probably a cuffed hem, then maybe a split waist take-in, then maybe some shirt darts. After that I really want to jump to my main end-goal of jacket sleeves.

Do we have a DIY alterations thread here, or is this it?

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kong is legend.

Here is something I did recently. I needed a travel watch roll that only fit two watches. I had that black lambskin lying around from a few pages back, and then thrifted this ridiculously large but buttery soft lambskin shirt. I'm not super good with a sewing machine, but getting better.

Made a second version of this using the same leather, just for 4 watches this time. Present for my uncle in Germany.

More than happy to provide measurements and directions for anyone who wants them.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
POP art bag inspiration:

wrgai8.jpg

vdzgcg.jpg

smooth soothing sounds of AM & Shawn Lee

I'm so tempted to spoof but don't wanna be rude :foo:
2my6ps8.jpg

Bonus: oh sheet, I just got sum ideas for sum shirts, when it rains, it pours. Yes *** back to me :foo:

HERMES x COLABEAR x GAP collaboration :slayer:

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey NOTREKNIP

Sorry but I dont cover everything every day.
Yes its got a name its called a "jeans hem". Your time was as much as a tailors time.
are you using a tailors wax chalk?

Go to "search", and ask for "tailors technical tutorials".
Scroll down to, for diys getting the trouser length right.

There are other titles in there that might interest you.

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started this too. I used a dark indigo uniqlo x pure blue sweatshirt I got for like $10 and painted it partially with two types of blue and planning on doing these patches, inspired by this.

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Planning on dying this bomber and going cross elbow patches. Just not sure what color I'm thinking either blue or dark green?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wow, that shirt looks fantastic. Awesome!

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes Bert!!!

you need this new hobby man,,,, or any other new hobby really

just make sure its one that doesn't involve posting sweet curated delicacies from the internet that keep prompting me to buy more **** I dont need

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I deconstructed one of my wife's favorite skirts, a 100% polyester beast from Urban Outfitters that she basically wore until the wheels fell off. I took it apart, made a pattern out of it, and re-made it in a very nice English made suiting cloth. I still need to hem and press it, but you get the idea. There is something really satisfying about taking a cheap article of clothing back from fast-fashion and turning into a quality piece.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads