• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ looks very good though, should do a whole jacket or coat out of it

I actually have something else in mind. There's a place in SF called scrap where they basically donate a variety of stuff from stone to fabrics to books. I found this cape thing from SF opera, thick brown/black paisley embroidered possibly silk? Gonna see if I can mock something up from it. It was also only $15

That fabric I made is only like 2' X 10" it's not enough and hella time consuming, I only took the class because I had to

Last edited:

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be back in sf next fall, will check that scrap place out, thanks for the tip

I've enjoyed dying stuff but my wife has been taking sewing and pattern-making classes for a few months now and shes finally at the stage where she can make a full garment from scratch, we just need some interesting fabrics

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll be back in sf next fall, will check that scrap place out, thanks for the tip

I've enjoyed dying stuff but my wife has been taking sewing and pattern-making classes for a few months now and shes finally at the stage where she can make a full garment from scratch, we just need some interesting fabrics.

She can make from scratch? Tell her, its better to make from cloth. Just my opinion.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

POP art bag inspiration:

wrgai8.jpg

vdzgcg.jpg

smooth soothing sounds of AM & Shawn Lee

I'm so tempted to spoof but don't wanna be rude :foo:
2my6ps8.jpg

Bonus: oh sheet, I just got sum ideas for sum shirts, when it rains, it pours. Yes come back to me :foo:

HERMES x COLABEAR x GAP collaboration :slayer:

another musical inspiration from Duke Dumont

this is turning out to be summerlicious

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not everyone has a budget or available time traveling to Tokyo or Paris, but you can still have a quick escape from your tiring daily routine. By wearing "getaway" clothes, trying out a new ethnic cuisine, and experiencing culture via a trip to the museum or a cinema, you can have a mini vacay in the comfort and convenience of your own town.

Feeling the cool breeze of Nantucket and the warmth of the sunshine from a walk in the Louvre in Paris, this is what inspired this "getaway" clothes

Escape the confinement of your cubicle and wash ashore in this Offiz/Vacay shirt: yellow tattersall w/ pink, grey, cream, Hawaiian print
20p23pd.jpg

Whether a French sailor or a prepster from Cape Cod, you can be both by wearing the Nantucket Trompe L' Oeil shirt: pink oxford shirt w/ contrasting sailor striped knit sleeves and built-in navy cotton vest
24cw8q0.jpg

A chic and whimsical Goldfish Fourre Tout in canvas and leather to hold your gathered treasure or for bargain shopping
16c4bdh.jpg

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Eazye

Great job there. I take it this is not your first DIY venture?
To do a reverse engineer on a garment the toughest thing is to flatten parts without changing the parts shape.
Are you doing your own alterations?

good luck

Alex

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a friend who was moving gave me his black leather cons. So i put leather laces in and painted them.

I like the effect on the black leather more than the white canvas version i tried last year. the laces are too short, but they were what i had on hand at the time, and now they are painted into place anyway.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Eazye

To do a reverse engineer on a garment the toughest thing is to flatten parts without changing the parts shape.

good luck

Alex

Thanks Alex! I'm actually a fashion design major at Columbia, so I've taken pattern making, advanced garment construction, ect. This was the first garment I've reversed engineered though. I've also slowly been tackling my own alterations.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Eazye

good luck

Alex

Thanks Alex! I'm actually a fashion design major at Columbia, so I've taken pattern making, advanced garment construction, ect. This was the first garment I've reversed engineered though. I've also slowly been tackling my own alterations.[/quote

AHA!\
I was wondering why that pattern had a pros look to it.
If you want to talk about anything just ask. [email protected]

You might find this website interesting. "tailor and cutter"

Also on stylefourm, use search and ask for "tailors technical tutorials".

boned

Reaction score
Had a pair of cream camel leather GATs that never saw any wear because the leather had oxidized to a piss-yellow. Figured what the hell and bought a bottle of Fiebings white dye and clear coat.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After some inspiration and feedback from people here and a short discussion in RFT I finally made myself a clothing rack over the weekend. Finally dried and put together this morning.
I didn't take many "process" pics but figured I'd post what I did and what I used in case anybody else is curious.

Parts:

I used 3/4" black iron pipe for the frame and a 12"x2"x12' piece of pine for the shelf (cut in half for 2 x 12"x2"x6' shelves)

Pipe pieces - all 3/4" pipe
3 x 60" straights (2 uprights and the cross bar)
2 x T-pieces (for attaching the uprights and cross bar)
2 x 2" nipples (for some lift above the cross bar and a place to attach the top shelf)
4 x flanges (basically the "feet" that I *********** top and bottom shelf into)

the pine board

4 x casters (so I can roll it, although it's lighter than I was expecting)

Steps:

First) So I took it all home, cut the pine and sanded it (coarse all over and medium grade for the edges and corners)

Second) I cleaned the piping with a wire brush and wiped it down with rubbing alcohol (to get all the prep oils of it)

Third) While pipe was drying I painted the shelves (ebony interior wood stain)

Fourth) While the first coat of stain was drying I screwed together the frame and painted it ("flat iron" Rust-O spray paint)

Fifth) second coat of stain

Sixth) the next day I put the casters on the bottom shelf

Seventh) Lined it up and screwed it all together.

Finished:

Functional:

Things I'd do differently: Buy a drill. I basically hammered a nail in everywhere as a pilot hole, pulled the nail out and then put the screws in by hand. It would've taken about 1/8th of the time if I had a drill).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads