• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cigar captoe today.

No spoiler. Incredible.

Alpina

Reaction score
Quote: IIRC, Alden is not doing brass on shell because it interferes with/is affected by whatever they finish the leather with. Does anyone care to speculate how the factory will handle re-crafting if you send back brass eyelets? Maybe now they will heed requests to not refinish the uppers if it is inconvenient for them. And what if they are customized? Perhaps, like the soles, they won't touch anything that isn't factory original?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, Alden is not doing brass on shell because it interferes with/is affected by whatever they finish the leather with. Does anyone care to speculate how the factory will handle re-crafting if you send back brass eyelets? Maybe now they will heed requests to not refinish the uppers if it is inconvenient for them. And what if they are customized? Perhaps, like the soles, they won't touch anything that isn't factory original?

What I recall is that the concern was the cleaning agents required for brass were compatible with the leather. It wasn't clear to me if that was a time-of-making issue, an on-going care issue or both.

I'm sure more knowledgeable people than me can weigh in...

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if okay to post this here.....

I have a pair of brooks brothers LHS that I got at the corporate sale. #8 cordovan size 8.5D. Was going to return, but realized someone here might want them so will sell at cost $548.50 (had to pay shipping and tax) plus shipping.

Let me know if interested by tomorrow night. Otherwise will return.

Reaction score
Can someone help me narrow down the options for a pair boots. I'm interested in a pair that can be worn with denim, but also be worn where dress clothing. I'm 25 years old and currently in the process of applying to medical school so I dress up for volunteering/shadowing, nothing that is in a more serious environment. I have looked at the the different boot options from stores like leffot and leathersoul. I found a pair recently on Needsupply church hill indy boot, which I thought was a good option.

if anyone can share some input, i would greatly appreciate it

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

limonade

Reaction score
IIRC, Alden is not doing brass on shell because it interferes with/is affected by whatever they finish the leather with. Does anyone care to speculate how the factory will handle re-crafting if you send back brass eyelets? Maybe now they will heed requests to not refinish the uppers if it is inconvenient for them. And what if they are customized? Perhaps, like the soles, they won't touch anything that isn't factory original?
This raises an interesting concern. I didn't even think about how Alden would look upon refinishing a pair of boots if they've been customized with something like the brass eyelets offered by a few folks. Maybe another reason to snag the last of the brass options even if its speedhooks not eyelets...

Reaction score
TheGoodLife383,
Kinda depends what region you go to medical school in. I'm graduating this spring from UW med in Seattle. In terms of Aldens, I've got a pair of tan wingtip boots and a pair of scotchgrain NST boots, which were both worlds better than the footwear any of my classmates were wearing.

I'm biased but I think starting with a pair of tan wingtip boots (such as http://brickmortarseattle.com/images/tan_calfskin_wingtip_boot.jpg, as offered by Brick and Mortar in Seattle) is a fine place to start the collection for a future med student. Regardless of whether you're on the East or West coast, it seems to me that something like this would be acceptable.

An Indy Boot, as you'd mentioned, would also be fine but I could see it perhaps not being quite as appropriate in some environments. Regardless of what you select, you'll be wearing footwear much superior to your peers.

Make sure too that you select a pair that you can quickly put on and remove. This becomes key when spending any time in the OR. For me, that means a boot with speedhooks (though I know others swear by all-eyelets, it's been my experience that a boot w/ all eyelets can be cumbersome to put on and remove at times).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads