• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my ultimate Indys modified with all brass eyelets by sublime goods. Very happy with Mack's work!

NotClever

Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while (like, 2 years) since I've visited this thread, but my suede boots are needing a resole.

What are the current thoughts on the best resoling provider? Last I heard Alden was way backed up (like 6+months) on resoling and B. Nelson was being recommended as the go to. Is that still the case?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it is prudent to wear clothes in general that fit the weather. 

If you have alternatives and you want to keep the shoes in the best possible cosmetic condition, then go with something else.  I do like the idea of putting Alden Leather Defender on them.  

I'm getting ready to order some of the Saphir Invulner for my upcoming suedes - think it will work for suede and leather

I have been using nano so please update when you try the saphire...actually I need to get the suede family out for a fall nano treatment.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using nano so please update when you try the saphire...actually I need to get the suede family out for a fall nano treatment.
Will do... Hanger Project was out, so I grabbed AE's and put it on my beater shoes. Looks pretty good...

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it is prudent to wear clothes in general that fit the weather. 

If you have alternatives and you want to keep the shoes in the best possible cosmetic condition, then go with something else.  I do like the idea of putting Alden Leather Defender on them.  

I'm getting ready to order some of the Saphir Invulner for my upcoming suedes - think it will work for suede and leather

Of course it is prudent. I'm always amused when I hear the 'they're just shoes' comment when attempting to be dismissive of someone who treats their shoes with care. $99 Cole Haan's from DSW are just shoes. $800 boots made from horses ass are not just shoes. People trying to act like they really got it going on when they don't look at the weather report before deciding to wear their whiskey longwings. There just shoes so I think I'll wear them in the torrential rainfall taking place. Man, must be nice.

I'm with you K-75. Ever since watching a video on nano on the Leffott website, I've been a huge fan. I think I ordered 3 cans of the stuff and treat my suede Aldens before wearing them. Probably overkill, I mean, they're just shoes.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course it is prudent. I'm always amused when I hear the 'they're just shoes' comment when attempting to be dismissive of someone who treats their shoes with care. $99 Cole Haan's from DSW are just shoes. $800 boots made from horses ass are not just shoes. People trying to act like they really got it going on when they don't look at the weather report before deciding to wear their whiskey longwings. There just shoes so I think I'll wear them in the torrential rainfall taking place. Man, must be nice.
I'm with you K-75. Ever since watching a video on nano on the Leffott website, I've been a huge fan. I think I ordered 3 cans of the stuff and treat my suede Aldens before wearing them. Probably overkill, I mean, they're just shoes.

It's not like I'm throwing on ravello nst's in rain storm and purposely sloshing throu every rain puddle singing and dancing. If I get dressed in the morning and my outfit best matches them, I wear them. I carry an umbrella and I walk to and from the office outside. They may get a little wet.

I don't consider myself any better than anyone else because of it. I just don't see the point in buying boots if I can't wear them in rain, or snow, or anything other than beautiful sunshine. 900 dollars or not there made to be worn and it's not like a couple rain spots render them garbage.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mac, your King Chukkas are superb. The 6-eyelet Chukka is a very nice design that I wish was more commonplace. Enjoy your rain! Please send some down here!

-Mike

nephew,
thank you
trying to raise capital to build pipeline

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not like I'm throwing on ravello nst's in rain storm and purposely sloshing throu every rain puddle singing and dancing. If I get dressed in the morning and my outfit best matches them, I wear them. I carry an umbrella and I walk to and from the office outside. They may get a little wet.

I don't consider myself any better than anyone else because of it. I just don't see the point in buying boots if I can't wear them in rain, or snow, or anything other than beautiful sunshine. 900 dollars or not there made to be worn and it's not like a couple rain spots render them garbage.

So the answer is you're both right. Shoes are made to be used. I'm sure most of the folks here have a decent level of condition and wax/etc. that would allow the shoes to emerge in good shape. That said, I'm going to do what I can to protect them through products like the Saphir (which I'll try on some non-Alden shoes first...) and by choice of shoes more appropriate to the weather when possible and appropriate. I check the weather for temp and rain before decide what I'm wearing in general, and if it is ugly I'll go with the commando/Dianite selections for example. I want all of my shoes to last me a long time.

As far as the Invulner, I just ordered it a few minutes ago, so I'll check in once I've had a chance to use it. I've got a great pair of shoes to test it on.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tuesday and Wednesday - Alden Brassvello LWB in the Desert
Tuesday with Epaulet REDA Verigated Indigo Crosshatch Slacks, Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan Belt, Epaulet MTO Shirt, and Brioni Sportcoat.
Wednesday with Epaulet Navy Lambswool Flannel Trousers, Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan Belt, Brooks Brothers Polo Shirt, and Brioni Sportcoat.
In the beautiful sunrise light. SPOILER]src="http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1883488/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL" style="; width: 500px; height: 375px">
LL
Thursday - Alden x Madion Cigar NST Blucher - Aberdeen Last
Friday - Alden x DC Cigar LHS - Van Last
-Mike
nephew, you had a very good week keep it up good shine on your gunboats, nst and cigar

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Looking Proper as Always @Shawnc Also, good to see General McArthur boosting the moral of the Alden Army again. @mcarthur Your Alden's are why I am into the game today, so, thank you Sir.
image_zps6m7du5zd.jpeg
nephew, looking good congratulations on your success thank you

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a treatment of ALD on my Carmina PTBs. Haven't had the courage to wear them out in this monsoon we had the past few days, but at least theyre ready for a few stray droplets of here or there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads