• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryIII

Reaction score
Beautiful (so no spoiler!). What pants are these?

Those Ravello LWB are gorgeous!

I need Ravello in my life. :)

Both are great boots. You are hard to go wrong there. The Perf Tip is probably a little more versatile than the wingtip.
Henry, these are aging quite well. Glad to see them getting good use!
Mac, you are looking tremendous in your King Tassels and Argyles. You wear them very well!

-Mike

Those look totally fine. Enjoy them - they're fantastic boots.

Lookin' sharp!

Ravello is so nice, especially your pair. Really nice patina and color on them.

I was looking at this makeup the other day. Very cool! Plus, Yenni is awesome.

Bon voyage! Those look really great.

nephew,
thank you

Thank you for the kind words! The pants are nothing special, JCrew Bowery wool pants. On sale ~$100

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Concur with the others. Your photographs look superb. Very nicely laid out sir!

-Mike

I appreciate the kind words gentlemen. As an enthusiast photographer, I suppose I'm like my aspiring-art-student daughter (on the road visiting schools with her this weekend): She only sees the flaws and things that didn't turn out the way she wanted, even if the finished product looks great to us!

I didn't have great light (very rainy this morning) and didn't want to use a flash, so it is a little more open than I'd like - lose a little too much of the shoe :). But it is fun, and a good reason to bust out my good camera!

Looking forward to wearing the shoes. The boots have to go back to AoM to address a small issue (and they've been very awesome to work with), and then I get to start making them mine. Really looking forward to it!

I have to say that I'd really love to see a makeup of that exact same boot but using the tobacco waxed leather from the LWB. I think that would look really good - not quite as casual as brown CXL (which would also look very good - think I've seen that somewhere) and not quite as dressed as the burnished tan calf (I chose it for the ability to dress it up or down).

I assume it has been done, but a fun sub-thread might be "Makeups you wish Alden would do"

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

king ct boots
merino wool argyles otc

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
It's amazing how much variation there is in this sizing question on the Jcrew captoe. I'm a tweener on Barrie but I typically go 8.5 and wear with thin socks. I generally size up for boots because I wear thicker socks. The Jcrew captoe is my only boot that I need to size up simply to wear a thin sock. Others report no difference but put me in the camp of those who find this model a little snugger than other barrie boots. Strange at how the responses vary so much on this .

Boots are nice Mike (really nice) but I'm lovin the pants as well. I also like the discreet display of ankle. Don't see that very often with boots. Nicely played.

Thanks Shawn. This is the only boot that I own that I can go sockless with (I actually typically wear loafer socks in them). But as they are unlined, they are extremely comfy. I tried it once with another pair of boots and ended up running upstairs before even making it out the door due to the cutting of my ankles...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALDEN-Full-...s-sz-10-5-C-/262065311863?hash=item3d044f5077

PSA for any 10.5 A/C's out there on the Aberdeen. Nice buy it now on a rare make-up. Not my listing.

Esoxm, thank you for the PSA, however, please be advised that these are on the GRANT Last and not the Aberdeen. These are called the High Vamp Loafer and are made by Alden of Madison today, but were once carried by a few other stores such as Alden DC. Just want to make sure that someone does not buy these thinking they are Aberdeen as they will be very disappointed. I would have been all over these but am a 10C on the Grant Loafers.

Reference: https://aldenmadison.com/collection/split-toe-loafer-color-8-shell-cordovan-1030/

Having a late dinner with the wife in my #990's and Marcoliani. Have a nice weekend gents!

R, your King PTBs are looking terrific today. +1 for argyles and shell.

king ct boots
merino wool argyles otc

Uncle Mac, you are looking superb in your King CT Boots. Your boots are looking very beautiful and have a terrific shine on them. Your argyles are spot on. :)

-Mike

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't made a classifieds post or anything, but I'm considering selling my NIB whiskey shell cordovan wingtip boots on commando in size 12D. Purchased from 14oz this summer and NIB (tried them on once in my house just to see what the 379X fits like). Looking to sell at cost - but note that "cost" buying from a euro seller is more like Context's prices than any other retailer.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I can provide pictures, more photos, etc. Whiskey shell is flawless and gorgeous - I just think I could use the funds towards holes in my shoe wardrobe whereas the whiskey WTs kind of overlap with some other things I own.

warenfetisch

Reaction score
I used my very first post on styleforum for trying to give advice, or rather to comfort regarding Barrie sizing.
My second one will be a question to the almighty forum members, regarding Aberdeen sizing:

I have a Tassel Loafers (563 and 564) in 10E and 10.5E.
The 10E is slightly too small for my foot. The 10.5E is lightly too long.
Do you guys think, the 10EEE would be a good solution for me?

And secondly, are there size differences between the Tassels and the Monk Straps (both cordovan). I know they are both on Aberdeen, but is either model known to run a little wider or longer?
I ask because, I found a nice pair on ebay in 10E and I am not sure if I should consider it...

Cheers

Good morning gentlemen,

I apologize for quoting myself and bringing up this older question again. However, I would like to renew my asking for your experiences with the Aberdeen Last.

Is there anyone who owns a Tassel Loafer and a Monk Strap (both Cordovan) and can comment on possible differences of the fit:

-Do both have the same fit?
-Is one of them running slightly longer or wider?

Help is very much appreciated!

Cheers

Disco Volante

Reaction score
Looking good! Can't wait for my reverse chamois wingtip boot from Yenni in a few months! Do you find that the reverse chamois can take a beating?
Reverse chamois is about as tough as it gets. I'm already committed on several pre-orders, but those boots from Yenni are amazingly tempting.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking good! Can't wait for my reverse chamois wingtip boot from Yenni in a few months! Do you find that the reverse chamois can take a beating?
Absolutely. I wouldn't go wading in a river or anything but they've been drenched in the rain, gotten filthy, kept me dry and cleaned up great. They're my only crepe soled boot and are perfect for spending lots of time on my feet. Maybe my most comfortable boots for that use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads