• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McQ7

Reaction score
Just received the Jcrew Cordovan boots. The leather looks fantastic, I've had my eye on this boot for so long and finally pulled the trigger

Just want people's opinion if these look ok. Stitching on sole seems a little off, up by the side of the front it goes pretty close to, if not right up to the edge. And on the heel it looks to be a tiny bit chipped where the two parts meet.

Would you guys send these back, or is this not going to effect wear/quality at all? I'm totally fine keeping them if these are mainly cosmetic and won't effect the wear/quality/longevity of the boots

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it

To me the heel isn't an issue because it doesn't affect functionality or structural integrity, or future repairs. However, the stitching being so close to the edge of the sole would give me concern because it could negatively affect future resoles. Others with more experience can hopefully add to this or correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think that sometimes it can be a symptom of the welt not having enough space from the edge, as well, meaning potentially fewer reuse of the same welt when resoling. Again, don't take my word for it, but I could have sworn that issue has been addressed either here or on reddit/r/goodyearwelt.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the concern over the close sole stitching and tiny chip on the heel is highly overblown.

Focus on the upper. If there are no problems with the shell, keep and wear the shoes. Everything you show related the sole is cosmetic. It will all be replaced with a resolve when it is time.

1wb

Reaction score

I think the concern over the close sole stitching and tiny chip on the heel is highly overblown.

Focus on the upper. If there are no problems with the shell, keep and wear the shoes. Everything you show related the sole is cosmetic. It will all be replaced with a resolve when it is time.

Neither of those issues is even a flaw. The boots are fine. Wear in good health.

warenfetisch

Reaction score
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I have shoes on Barrie in 10D, 10E, and 10.5D.
The 10E and 10.5D are very comfortable and do show the same creasing as yours. I have also very thin (about 1-2mm inserts in them). So one might assume that the 10D is just the right size for me - however, this is not the case. Even though it is even camois (which I was told is supposed to stretch more than my corodvans in 10.E and 10.5 D) they are just too tight. After wearing them, by heel hurts. My socks even get holes in the heel area, since it is just either too short, or not wide enough so my foot can be in the right spot in the front..
So my advice would be: Do not worry about these creases. You are probably just in between the 10D and the 10E or 10.5D respectively. And I rather have comfortable shoes with creasing than shoes that I do not really want to put on for a long day..

Last edited:

warenfetisch

Reaction score
I used my very first post on styleforum for trying to give advice, or rather to comfort regarding Barrie sizing.
My second one will be a question to the almighty forum members, regarding Aberdeen sizing:

I have a Tassel Loafers (563 and 564) in 10E and 10.5E.
The 10E is slightly too small for my foot. The 10.5E is lightly too long.
Do you guys think, the 10EEE would be a good solution for me?

And secondly, are there size differences between the Tassels and the Monk Straps (both cordovan). I know they are both on Aberdeen, but is either model known to run a little wider or longer?
I ask because, I found a nice pair on ebay in 10E and I am not sure if I should consider it...

Cheers

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Neither of those issues is even a flaw. The boots are fine. Wear in good health.

Both true.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This crowd is very learned, and this post isn't intended to say "you're wrong" or be contrary, but here's my opinion:

The sole wouldn't worry me. The heel would bother me. I'd ask the Alden store of purchase. If it truly passed their standards, I guess I'd be fine...

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Snuff suede plain toe bluchers Dover style from Fransboone

Looking very sharp in your Boone Brass Dovers. Very nice model.

Wore my snuff PTB (unlined) Alden-BB yesterday. Enjoyed them so much so that I went with snuff LWBs (Alden-JCrew) today...

Thats a very fine looking shoe Repp. I had a pair and sold them, but would consider picking them up again if I could get a narrow.

Hey everyone. Long time listener, first time caller. Made my first plunge into Alden Shell and had a question on some of the creasing I'm seeing. While the shoes fit perfectly as far as I can feel, there seems to be some diagonal creasing developing close to the toe of the shoe. Is this normal? I wonder if there's anything I can learn for my next purchase or anything I can do now. Here's a pic of the shoe, slightly bended to highlight what I'm mentioning.

A few things here. First Shell creases, that is just a fact of Shell. Getting the ideal fit will typically reduce the creasing. Using a deer bone and frequent brushing you can reduce/remove the creasing, but once crease folds are formed, they are there to stay. As others have stated, the Barrie is a very generous last particularly in the area of the toe box. Many confuse the fit due to this. If the shoe feels good, then you are probably in the correct size. I always highly recommend going to a major retailer like DC, SF, NYC and trying on a variety of lengths and widths in the store to determine your ideal fit. There are many sizes that will provide a good fit, but only one that provides the best fit. The only way to achieve this is to do a "blind taste test"... That is how I came up with all of my Alden Lasts sizes. I completely ignored all the rules and did it purely based upon the feel of the shoes...

BB Tassels

I have to concur with Smoothie here. As long as the upper looks good, then you are good to go. I hardly ever even look at the soles when I get new shoes now... They will be replaced along with the welt in a few years given you wear them and the new one will be completely different... :) As long as it doesn't impact the feel of the shoe or doesn't look like it is coming apart, you should be golden.

-Mike

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@madmadigan would not worry about the sole stitching but if that chip in the outside of the heel is going to bother you return it. At $700 you own that right and honsetly I wouldnt be happy about water getting in there the on less than sealed leather soles. Of course I am lazy and would probably pack it with some black paste wax and call it a day.
Of course if your heel strap is anywhere near centered and straight consider yourself lucky! or if were the welt begins and ends is within a half inch of each other or if the stitching on the welt is straight... There is a lot of Alden forgiveness here :)

And congrats I think that is one of the smartest looking boots Alden does

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only keep one pair of burgundy boots. Which should I keep:

Also, do people typically size up for boots to accommodate "boot" socks?

Thanks!

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only keep one pair of burgundy boots. Which should I keep:

Also, do people typically size up for boots to accommodate "boot" socks?

Thanks!
Tough call, but if you plan to get a color 8 shoe down the road, then I'd keep the J.Crew PCT and get a 975 or Leffot LWB later on.

As for sizing, I typically size the same between shoes/boots for Barrie last and don't have issues

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads