• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those natty CXL boots make me excited to get my epaulet innsbrucks later this year.. The natural color looks so great worn in!

J One

Reaction score

These are my most worn pair of Alden suede boots, I personally think that their snuff looks great with a bit of wear and tear on it.
Its really nice how those aged, never thought suede could look so nice with time. I wonder if the lighter colors of suede will aged as nice as yours, thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

Whirling

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of shell cordovan #8 chukkas (1339) at full retail at their local authorized. I found them very comfortable and really like the look of them. After wearing them around for a whole day, I noticed that there was a rough spot on one shoe. I have enclosed a photo of it and the comparable smooth part of the other shoe. I sent the following photos to Alden in an email and they told me to bring them to the store, which would then take care of them.

I took them back into the store. The store then sent them to Alden. Alden returned them to me promptly "refinished and retouched," which really didn't change the rough spot much at all...I don't have a new photo, because it would be hard to capture the difference, if any. The retouch and refinish did look nice, though.

I feel this is "pretty good" service. It isn't that big of a flaw or I would have noticed it sooner. The shoes couldn't be resold as factory seconds after my having worn them. I feel a purchaser has an obligation to inspect his purchases when he buys them.

Alden was very fast--under a week and a half--getting them back to me, including shipping. That said, I think their quality control could have caught this shoes that are a fairly premium product. Also, they could have gone "out of their way" and "beyond what is necessary" and replaced the shoes to really prove that they want customers to always be happy.

As a point of reference, I bought some black calfskin Allen Edmonds Park Avenues which had some minor marks on one of the shoes, which I was told were "veins," if I heard that properly when I brought them back to the store to ask if this was normal--I wasn't even requesting a new pair of shoes, directly. These marks could only be seen from a certain angle and were fairly subtle. I had worn them for a couple days, so they were definitely also not resellable either. Instantly, the shoes were taken back by the AE store and I was offered a new pair of shoes. They even let me "change my mind" and upgrade to to some brown cordovan Park Avenues.

This service really couldn't be "expected" of any shoe company, but it did convince me that I don't have to ever worry that AE shoes will ever work out badly for me, even if I don't inspect them thoroughly before wearing them. I assume that this is generally true about AE, and not just that the Philadelphia store is exceptional.

Again, I want to make it clear that I am not faulting Alden or saying people should buy AEs instead. The Alden chukkas are still wonderful and I will definitely enjoy them for years to come. I can't complain that Alden treated me unfairly in any way. However, the next time I buy Aldens, I know I had better make darn sure there are no little flaws that I will notice later that might bother me a bit.

These are just some observations...what do other people think?

Regards,
Jon

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad to see but if happens sometimes. You should always take a good look at the store, then a good long look at home (in natural light as well) before deciding to wear them. I'd suggest getting a deer bone and giving that area a vigorous rubbing - it might knock it down.

Whirling

Reaction score
Sad to see but if happens sometimes. You should always take a good look at the store, then a good long look at home (in natural light as well) before deciding to wear them. I'd suggest getting a deer bone and giving that area a vigorous rubbing - it might knock it down.

Thank you very much for the response, I will try to find a deer bone...

Jon

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently bought a pair of shell cordovan #8 chukkas (1339) at full retail at their local authorized. I found them very comfortable and really like the look of them. After wearing them around for a whole day, I noticed that there was a rough spot on one shoe. I have enclosed a photo of it and the comparable smooth part of the other shoe. I sent the following photos to Alden in an email and they told me to bring them to the store, which would then take care of them. I took them back into the store. The store then sent them to Alden. Alden returned them to me promptly "refinished and retouched," which really didn't change the rough spot much at all...I don't have a new photo, because it would be hard to capture the difference, if any. The retouch and refinish did look nice, though. I feel this is "pretty good" service. It isn't that big of a flaw or I would have noticed it sooner. The shoes couldn't be resold as factory seconds after my having worn them. I feel a purchaser has an obligation to inspect his purchases when he buys them. Alden was very fast--under a week and a half--getting them back to me, including shipping. That said, I think their quality control could have caught this shoes that are a fairly premium product. Also, they could have gone "out of their way" and "beyond what is necessary" and replaced the shoes to really prove that they want customers to always be happy. As a point of reference, I bought some black calfskin Allen Edmonds Park Avenues which had some minor marks on one of the shoes, which I was told were "veins," if I heard that properly when I brought them back to the store to ask if this was normal--I wasn't even requesting a new pair of shoes, directly. These marks could only be seen from a certain angle and were fairly subtle. I had worn them for a couple days, so they were definitely also not resellable either. Instantly, the shoes were taken back by the AE store and I was offered a new pair of shoes. They even let me "change my mind" and upgrade to to some brown cordovan Park Avenues. This service really couldn't be "expected" of any shoe company, but it did convince me that I don't have to ever worry that AE shoes will ever work out badly for me, even if I don't inspect them thoroughly before wearing them. I assume that this is generally true about AE, and not just that the Philadelphia store is exceptional. Again, I want to make it clear that I am not faulting Alden or saying people should buy AEs instead. The Alden chukkas are still wonderful and I will definitely enjoy them for years to come. I can't complain that Alden treated me unfairly in any way. However, the next time I buy Aldens, I know I had better make darn sure there are no little flaws that I will notice later that might bother me a bit. These are just some observations...what do other people think? Regards, Jon
I am an Alden fan more than an AE fan by a long shot. I do have a few AEs. I have dozens of Aldens. That said, AEs customer service, on the whole, and to its credit, is unmatched by essentially any shoemaker. With that out of the way, I am wondering if you asked - specifically - for a replacement pair? And, if yes, what they said. In my experience, the retailer's response of (and many of us have heard it) "we will send them to the factory to see what they think" is a non starter. Over the years I have received two pairs back from the factory after hearing this line and there has been literally no difference in the pair from when they were sent back to them. Moving on ... I don't mess with it any longer. I would suggest establishing a relationship with a retailer and being loyal, within reason, to that retailer. Once such a relationship is established, these problems, in my experience, get taken care of at the retailer level via a replacement (if available), store credit, or a refund.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently bought a pair of shell cordovan #8 chukkas (1339) at full retail at their local authorized. I found them very comfortable and really like the look of them. After wearing them around for a whole day, I noticed that there was a rough spot on one shoe. I have enclosed a photo of it and the comparable smooth part of the other shoe. I sent the following photos to Alden in an email and they told me to bring them to the store, which would then take care of them. I took them back into the store. The store then sent them to Alden. Alden returned them to me promptly "refinished and retouched," which really didn't change the rough spot much at all...I don't have a new photo, because it would be hard to capture the difference, if any. The retouch and refinish did look nice, though. I feel this is "pretty good" service. It isn't that big of a flaw or I would have noticed it sooner. The shoes couldn't be resold as factory seconds after my having worn them. I feel a purchaser has an obligation to inspect his purchases when he buys them. Alden was very fast--under a week and a half--getting them back to me, including shipping. That said, I think their quality control could have caught this shoes that are a fairly premium product. Also, they could have gone "out of their way" and "beyond what is necessary" and replaced the shoes to really prove that they want customers to always be happy. As a point of reference, I bought some black calfskin Allen Edmonds Park Avenues which had some minor marks on one of the shoes, which I was told were "veins," if I heard that properly when I brought them back to the store to ask if this was normal--I wasn't even requesting a new pair of shoes, directly. These marks could only be seen from a certain angle and were fairly subtle. I had worn them for a couple days, so they were definitely also not resellable either. Instantly, the shoes were taken back by the AE store and I was offered a new pair of shoes. They even let me "change my mind" and upgrade to to some brown cordovan Park Avenues. This service really couldn't be "expected" of any shoe company, but it did convince me that I don't have to ever worry that AE shoes will ever work out badly for me, even if I don't inspect them thoroughly before wearing them. I assume that this is generally true about AE, and not just that the Philadelphia store is exceptional. Again, I want to make it clear that I am not faulting Alden or saying people should buy AEs instead. The Alden chukkas are still wonderful and I will definitely enjoy them for years to come. I can't complain that Alden treated me unfairly in any way. However, the next time I buy Aldens, I know I had better make darn sure there are no little flaws that I will notice later that might bother me a bit. These are just some observations...what do other people think? Regards, Jon
AE makes and sells in much greater volumes than Alden (and it sounds like they were in fact making use of the less desirable and less expensive cuts from the calfskin hide) so their margins allow for this kind of generous CS. Not really comparable, IMO. Alden shouldn't be expected to completely replace an expensive shell shoe in an instance like this. I'm happy both companies took care of you though! I love chukka boots, so enjoy yours!

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group if I may. Looking at some Alden boots, with the pull strap on the back. I have to think they would catch the cuffs on trousers and even chinos? Are they attached in such a way they can be removed? Or is it not as big of an issue as I imagine it?

stevefok

Reaction score
Question for the group if I may. Looking at some Alden boots, with the pull strap on the back. I have to think they would catch the cuffs on trousers and even chinos? Are they attached in such a way they can be removed? Or is it not as big of an issue as I imagine it?

they would catch the cuffs on trousers and even chinos - YES

Are they attached in such a way they can be removed - NO

is it not as big of an issue as I imagine it? It bothers me and that's why I tend to avoid boots with pull tabs

Hope it helps.

Steve

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Brown chromexcel plaza last boot.

Looks great!

My first contribution to whiskey Wednesday. Have had these for almost a year and this is only the 3rd time wearing them. I don't know if the iPhone camera will capture it, but they have already developed a very nice caramel shade to them.

Good to see you participate, those are nice looking Whiskey PTBs.

Lovely Whiskey Wingtip Boot!

Some natural chromexcel love

Great patina and shine on them!

So good!!

EP 12oz Speckled Chambray Rivets

Thats an interesting angle of the Grant Last. It still looks good. +1 on the Epaulet Rivets.

Ravello x wheat selvedge

Lookign superb in your Ravello CT Boots!

These are my most worn pair of Alden suede boots, I personally think that their snuff looks great with a bit of wear and tear on it.

Again, lovely boots!

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads