• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctkim

Reaction score
I just got some new Alden Unlined Suede Chukkas. These are my first aldens and I love them, however the edge of the back of the shoe is digging into my achilles and breaking skin.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is this part of the "break-in" process?

The back of the shoe is very stiff and I don't know if it'll ever become soft. Maybe I need to develop some callouses on my achilles or something.

Bbombers85

Reaction score

I just got some new Alden Unlined Suede Chukkas. These are my first aldens and I love them, however the edge of the back of the shoe is digging into my achilles and breaking skin.

The back of the shoe is very stiff and I don't know if it'll ever become soft. Maybe I need to develop some callouses on my achilles or something.

I had this issue with my color 8 chukka a and cigar PTB. It went away after a few wears and break-in. That being said, you should make your own determination if your shoe is simply too tight.

marvaments

Reaction score

I'm experiencing the same thing on only one shoe. Hoping with more wears it goes away...

Ohatride

Reaction score
Do the plain toe boots look more ravello than cigar? Color 8 for color comparison.

Here's another comparison with a pair of 403s:

Last edited:

Jazzitdown

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone has both an Alden Barrie last shoe and a Hampton. I currently own a pair of Alden Longwing Cordovans in the Barrie last and they fit perfect. They are an 8 D/EE. I'd really like to buy either the Perf Tip Bal or the Medallion Tip Bal in the Hampton last but am unsure what size to order. My best guess based on sizing I've read around the web is 8.5 EE or 8.5 EEE. Does anyone know which one I should order? Thanks

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, they look more Ravello to me. But honestly, on the color differentiations blur in the edges and after wear. My Whiskey LHSes that I am wearing right now, now look more Ravello than Whiskey.

That's very correct. Whiskey tends to darken with wear, while Ravello gets lighter. They often meet in the middle after a couple years.

RevisIsland

Reaction score

That's very correct. Whiskey tends to darken with wear, while Ravello gets lighter. They often meet in the middle after a couple years.

Exactly the reason why I seem to have a hard time buying the same shoe in Ravello and Whiskey. There is definitely a pretty decent gap in color to start, but my whiskeys have been darkening up pretty quickly. If you take a look at some of uncle mac's aged whiskey and ravello, sometimes it is hard to tell the colors apart.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly the reason why I seem to have a hard time buying the same shoe in Ravello and Whiskey. There is definitely a pretty decent gap in color to start, but my whiskeys have been darkening up pretty quickly. If you take a look at some of uncle mac's aged whiskey and ravello, sometimes it is hard to tell the colors apart.
would somebody pull up some pictures to see how ravello and whiskey age? interesting...

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MrDV

Did the LS choco suede tanker deposit for you actually go through? Another member and myself never had the $100 taken out of our accounts and apparently the order was delayed by Alden so it's not yet a pre-order.

Bbombers85

Reaction score

@MrDV

Did the LS choco suede tanker deposit for you actually go through? Another member and myself never had the $100 taken out of our accounts and apparently the order was delayed by Alden so it's not yet a pre-order.

I was contacted and confirmed I'm in, but was also never followed up on the $100. They were meant to call me since I didn't want to send CC info via Email.

ctkim

Reaction score

I had this issue with my color 8 chukka a and cigar PTB. It went away after a few wears and break-in. That being said, you should make your own determination if your shoe is simply too tight.

Thanks for your reply. For me, it's not so much that the shoe is too tight. I have skinny ankles so I have some wiggle room when I tie up the shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics