• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildstar

Reaction score
If what I highlighted in bold is accurate, you will need 8D in the leather LWBs (tobacco waxed?) and 8.5D in the Perf Cap Toe color 8 (shell) boots. J Crew doesn't offer anything other than D width in their Alden make-ups, so this rec should be your best option. Good luck! (BTW, I have both of these pairs in the same size but the LWBs feel much more roomy [wider] than the boots.)
This is my experience as well. I wear an 8.5D in the LWBs but found 8.5D in the JCrew cap toe boot to be too tight. Going up to 9D in the JCrew is perfect for me. This is consistent with the other Alden cap toe boots I have, they seem tighter generally than the LWBs so I get the cap toe boots up .5 size.

To make it more interesting, I have found that with a leather sole corodovan wingtip boot 8.5D is comfortable. But when I tried a commando sole corodovan wingtip boot 8.5D was too tight.

Last edited:

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your favorite all-around Alden? For wearing with, say, chinos todays, maybe jeans on the weekend, and perhaps occasionally some trousers and a button down or sweater on Monday? Longwings? Dover? Staying with shows and not boots though. Curious what everyone's go-to is.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my experience as well. I wear an 8.5D in the LWBs but found 8.5D in the JCrew cap toe boot to be too tight. Going up to 9D in the JCrew is perfect for me. This is consistent with the other Alden cap toe boots I have, they seem tighter generally than the LWBs so I get the cap toe boots up .5 size.

To make it more interesting, I have found that with a leather sole corodovan wingtip boot 8.5D is comfortable. But when I tried a commando sole corodovan wingtip boot 8.5D was too tight.
I have to respectfully disagree. I have AoC black shell cap toe boots on commando as well as J Crew's Perf Cap toe boots. The black shell cap toe boots on commando are significantly roomier and slightly longer than the J Crew boots...

Not sure how to explain it, but this is my experience with Alden shell cap toe boots.

Last edited:

Bbombers85

Reaction score
What's your favorite all-around Alden? For wearing with, say, chinos todays, maybe jeans on the weekend, and perhaps occasionally some trousers and a button down or sweater on Monday? Longwings? Dover? Staying with shows and not boots though. Curious what everyone's go-to is.
I wear my color 8 chukkas more than any other pair. 403 Indy's a close second. Can't go wrong either longwings or dovers though.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Ravello LWB & EP

aldenwear

Reaction score

These are similar, but they are on the Aberdeen last....I love them....in my experience scotch grain is much tougher than alpine grain.....they are more of a brown tone than appears under office lighting
I have a pair of those very shooes. They are bison leather on plaza last NSTs and were sold by Alden of Carmel over ten years ago. They were offered in that brown and in black as well. To this day I wear the brown pair I got way back when. I wish I had gotten that shoe in black as well, but waited too long. Alden of Carmel was the first to offer unique, custom make-ups, and they offered some incredibly beautiful make-ups. Many of those make-ups were on the plaza last. It always offered impeccable service and flawless product too. [[/I] I was referring to the brown-colored shoes in the top two pictures, which I unsuccessfully tried to copy in to this response.

Last edited:

hp5273

Reaction score

Recently acquired a pair of Color 8 NSTs and they would cover all those needs.

I find that PTBs can sometimes be too plain and wing-tips can be too busy.

Having NSTs or cap-toes is nice when you need something in between.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either LWB or NST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads