• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrow

Reaction score
I found little opportunity to wear these Unionmade Laguna Chukka (Trubalance, Bison leather) when they looked like these

After a fine resoling job by Pioneer Renewer SF, the look offers more flexibility and I've worn them more. Plus the added comfort of the TB last on a 6 eyelet platform.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
King shortwings 2day. Apologies as it seems like my camera has focus issues with half shade pictures:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True but that's what QC is for. Now, don't tell me the QC "human" makes mistakes too and it is okay.

I actually feel that Alden QC could be a little better.

However, I have bought the best examples of their shoes recently, so, I feel that they have indeed stepped it up quite a bit.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I own way too many Aldens for it to not be an obsession.  I've never seen the heel come loose like that, if it had I would have contacted the retailer where I bought the shoe/boot and asked for support.  I would have done that whether it was less than 1 year old or several years old. Since you state you got less than 1 year of wear; I'm surprised you did not attempt to get anything done with a $700 boot!  I've had a few issues with my Alden's and they have always made things right for me.
Keeping price in mind...I've not found any brand better than Alden in the same price range.  No doubt there are better shoes available, some totally hand made...but there's a price to pay for that, and that's why so many brands exist and why most high end stores that sell men's footwear offer multiple brands to fulfill all price points.  I don't own any shoes that cost over $1,000, but I own custom made cowboy boots and for true hand made custom cowboy boots it takes in most cases 2-3 years to get them once you've been measured, and entry level for basic cow hide starts at $1,500.  You get into a exotic hide like ostrich and its another $1,500,  Alligator belly is $8,000!  That's without any fancy top work.  My point being is regardless of price, if humans are involved mistakes will be made.  I'm more interested in what gets done to make things right?  So far Alden has not let me down.
Steve

The reason that I haven't bothered to get them repaired is that I have several better boot options, so going through the return process isn't something I've been motivated to deal with from Norway so far, and the shipping and customs fees aren't my idea of fun. Good to know that if I do send them in, they should get sorted. However, the fit and the look hasn't given me much reason to do so. If I do get them repaired, it will be primarily out of a sense of lingering guilt for letting so much cordovan (they're size 13) go unused.

Also, I'm in Budapest regularly and I can get custom-spec Vass for less than Alden's European pricing, so it's a different value proposition here. I'll take Vass over Alden every single time, and I've yet to see any quality issues with them so far, even though they're truly handmade. Although I very much wanted to like them, my two pairs of Aldens have been disappointing in actual use and it's unlikely that I'll be getting any more.

Personally, I have experienced similar loose stitchings in two pairs of boots and one pair of shoes.  It is a common "problem", as I remember seeing a few complains over the past few years on this thread.   In almost all instances, Alden considered that a defect and restitched free of charge for the customers (not easy for oversea customers).

I don't have any experience with detached heel stacks, but I assume that is not inconceivable for a boot with 270 degree welt.  I bet it won't happen as easily to a boot with 360 reversed welt though.

Indeed, my 360° Goyser-stitched boots from other makers have been super-durable and confidence-inspiring so far, but even my less-robustly-constructed handmade shoes/boots haven't given me any concerns, despite the soggy Norwegian climate. I'm not sure whether the Indy heel is properly repairable, since the tacks move without any resistance in the holes. It just doesn't seem like that great of a construction method to me in the first place.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

RobinM

Reaction score
I actually feel that Alden QC could be a little better.

However, I have bought the best examples of their shoes recently, so, I feel that they have indeed stepped it up quite a bit.
Rejoice, there will be more TSM seconds in my size next month.............................................just kidding.

benjaminroy

Reaction score
It's about time to have the rubber heel on my Indy 401s replaced. Is this something I can/should send back to Alden? Or is it simple enough to trust to a good local cobbler.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my view, most of the allure of Alden is about getting some of the best finished cordovan for shoes and boots. While Alden's construction is decent, it is common for flaws of this sort to appear. Alden does repair or replace this type of shoddy work gratis in such cases, and that's a fine thing. However, it's not reasonable in my opinion to beat the living heck out of these shoes and boots, expecting there to be no wear and tear. Eventually, heels will separate, stitches will come loose, and soles will deteriorate. In some cases this will be faster than other brands, in other cases, slower. These things happen will all shoes over time.

You can debate the relative value of Alden to other brands until the cows come home. Alden is a decent brand. I do not think their reps would ever say they make the absolute best shoes out there. Although some on this thread might make that contention. Alden makes solid products. But do not mistake the shell cordovan pricing premium for an all around handcrafted, bench made, or bespoke level of quality. They're machine made shoes with a degree of handwork produced in the USA.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question: When given the choice between the Alden commando sole and the standard leather on a pair of shell wingtip boots (for casual work and off work use), is there any good argument for the commando? In this case: will not be wearing in bad weather or rain, so won't be necessary for that. Nor do I plan to go "off road" in them. I am just about to pull the trigger in the next 24 hours and have the choice between the two, and was wondering whether I might be missing something...

Thanks.

I vote double leather, especially given your circumstances. I'll go with commando for chrmxl, scotch grain, and other more rugged materials.

RobinM

Reaction score
The reason that I haven't bothered to get them repaired is that I have several better boot options, so going through the return process isn't something I've been motivated to deal with from Norway so far, and the shipping and customs fees aren't my idea of fun. Good to know that if I do send them in, they should get sorted. However, the fit and the look hasn't given me much reason to do so. If I do get them repaired, it will be primarily out of a sense of lingering guilt for letting so much cordovan (they're size 13) go unused.

Also, I'm in Budapest regularly and I can get custom-spec Vass for less than Alden's European pricing, so it's a different value proposition here. I'll take Vass over Alden every single time, and I've yet to see any quality issues with them so far, even though they're truly handmade. Although I very much wanted to like them, my two pairs of Aldens have been disappointing in actual use and it's unlikely that I'll be getting any more.
Indeed, my 360° Goyser-stitched boots from other makers have been super-durable and confidence-inspiring so far, but even my less-robustly-constructed handmade shoes/boots haven't given me any concerns, despite the soggy Norwegian climate. I'm not sure whether the Indy heel is properly repairable, since the tacks move without any resistance in the holes. It just doesn't seem like that great of a construction method to me in the first place.

Thanks for the replies.

The $700 is not all lost. You may be surprised how much people will pay for second hand Alden Cordovan boots.

More power to you for you can visit Vass frequently. When you buy from Mr. Vass, you get factory direct pricing. Not so for Aldens, in which the retailer gets a 50% retail margin.

Bonggoy

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from Alden of Madison Shell allocation last year? Did they received their LWB allocation yet?

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my view, most of the allure of Alden is about getting some of the best finished cordovan for shoes and boots. While Alden's construction is decent, it is common for flaws of this sort to appear. Alden does repair or replace this type of shoddy work gratis in such cases, and that's a fine thing. However, it's not reasonable in my opinion to beat the living heck out of these shoes and boots, expecting there to be no wear and tear. Eventually, heels will separate, stitches will come loose, and soles will deteriorate. In some cases this will be faster than other brands, in other cases, slower. These things happen will all shoes over time.

You can debate the relative value of Alden to other brands until the cows come home. Alden is a decent brand. I do not think their reps would ever say they make the absolute best shoes out there. Although some on this thread might make that contention. Alden makes solid products. But do not mistake the shell cordovan pricing premium for an all around handcrafted, bench made, or bespoke level of quality. They're machine made shoes with a degree of handwork produced in the USA.
You should be ostracized and ridiculed for your eminently reasonable views on all this.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found little opportunity to wear these Unionmade Laguna Chukka (Trubalance, Bison leather) when they looked like these

After a fine resoling job by Pioneer Renewer SF, the look offers more flexibility and I've worn them more. Plus the added comfort of the TB last on a 6 eyelet platform.

Holy crap. You made a silk purse from a sow's ear. Mighty impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads