• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sherman Bros. will probably tell you "Oh no...Alden hasn't done C width in years... Here, look at our list for C widths" LMAO
While this one post on Sherman Bros. (about no exotic colors being done in recent history) makes them look pretty bad, they are actually extremely helpful and very positive, unlike some trolls that show up from time to time with nothing constructive to say (I don't mean you at all, tifosi).

I would highly recommend buying from Sherman Bros. if you are in Philadelphia. They have given me great service and 25% off of stock shell models during their sale at the end of the year. Both times they didn't have my size and had shoes drop-shipped direct from Alden to my home within a week. Love those guys in downtown Philly...

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
While this one post on Sherman Bros. (about no exotic colors being done in recent history) makes them look pretty bad, they are actually extremely helpful and very positive, unlike some trolls that show up from time to time with nothing constructive to say (I don't mean you at all, tifosi).

I would highly recommend buying from Sherman Bros. if you are in Philadelphia. They have given me great service and 25% off of stock shell models during their sale at the end of the year. Both times they didn't have my size and had shoes drop-shipped direct from Alden to my home within a week. Love those guys in downtown Philly...
RTP, I agree 100%. Those gentlemen there are nothing but accommodating when I go there. I was just poking a little bit of fun on their position on exotic shell.

It wasn't intended to imply that they are not knowledgeable.

afripix

Reaction score
newbie here - long time reader, first time post so my apologies if this isn't the correct thread or a worthy question - looking to find a black shell PTB Dover style - curious if anyone has seen these available? leffot had them available in color 8 a while back. I much prefer the Dover to the PTB's that are widely available, but don't seem to see them available anywhere.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey you go Joe, here is how the shoes are made, no reason to pass your BS as gospel for those who don't "know any better"

eek.gif
The secret cordovan sauce in action. What I wouldn't give to have some of that on hand.

walds11

Reaction score

We are on the same page! I was thinking of converting completely over to C-width. It means that I'd have to pre/special order most makeups but I'd be okay with that I think. In boots, D width works fine on most lasts but shoes that won't work.

If you ever plan on heading to Sherman Bros or somewhere local to solve the Alden last problems we're having, let me know!

I agree with you that D width is fine for boots, no doubt!

You must have been reading my mind. I was just at the Montgomeryville store this morning. I live in Blue Bell and that store is a quick hop away. I dropped off a few pair of shoes at the cobbler to resole. Anyway, I was chatting with Mike about this new Alden shoe…Casual LHS Penny Loafer in CXL brown. I really dig slip-on shoes. This shoe will make a great all-around business casual/casual shoe that I will get tons of use out of.

http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1000000002&ProductId=29449

The LHS Penny Loafer in CXL brown is still in production, so he had me try on a similar style in shell cordovan in 8.5D and 9D. The 8.5D felt decent and the 9D was a little too roomy in the heel. Keep in mind that the ones I tried on were shell cordovan, lined and single oak leather sole vs. CXL, unlined and flex sole. He is going to order an 8.5D and 9C in the LHS Penny Loafer CXL brown. It will be nice to dial in the size and width! I was passing through the Haverford store a few weeks ago and inquired about this shoe. Ken wanted to throw me right into the 9D, so I am glad I didn’t heed his advice. Mike definitely seems more accommodating because he ordered a few sizes for me to try on.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score

Dye plus acrylic finisher.

Likely, but what is interesting is that the shells direct from Horween come "finished" - if you look at the shell at 0:08 in the video, you can see the finished sheen on the shell from Horween.

I'd be very curious to know what Alden really does to the shells in between that state and finished product.

The guy who stripped his shells used Angelus to reproduce the alden finish

RobinM

Reaction score

Likely, but what is interesting is that the shells direct from Horween come "finished" - if you look at the shell at 0:08 in the video, you can see the finished sheen on the shell from Horween.

I'd be very curious to know what Alden really does to the shells in between that state and finished product.

The guy who stripped his shells used Angelus to reproduce the alden finish

The sheen form untreated shell is different. Get a shell wallet form say, Asland, and you will see and fell the difference.
Alden put arcylic finisher on both shell and Alpine grain calf to give that instant and durable glossy finish.

BTW, a handfull of Alden shell shoes don't have that glossy finish. Examples: #2 lwb, Leffot Cigar shell saddles. Shell belts sold by Alden don't have that Arcylic finisher either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads