• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got some Alden irregulars delivered, one of which was the Navy CXL tanker boot. Honestly I can't even see what the defect is.

Anyway, what do you wear with these? I'm not sure I can actually pull these off.

Pretty much any color pants or denim except for blue and black. Blue denim wouldn't be bad, but I prefer some contrast. You can do it...

ylku

Reaction score
You should get a natty or brown chrmxl LWB!!

Two of my favorites. (Every LWB is a favorite of mine)
Your Natty CXL LWB looks great! I got my Natty CXL LWB yesterday.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some calf Aldens today. Rain in the forecast. These are 2nds that I picked up about 2-3 yrs ago from the shoemart. Barrie last and waterlock double sole. Yes, I need to brush them.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MrDV: Yeah, Plaza looks good but the fit just didn't work out. I'm pretty much Barrie for now on and I leave smart shoes (i.e., balmorals) to other brands. @tifosi and @budapest12 can relate!

rosslovethreads

Reaction score

Ditto...I would, though, put some brown polish on the white stitching at the top of the left boot so the difference isn't as apparent.

I'm cool with the quirkiness of only one boot having accent stitching and would hate to cover it up. These are such a casual shoe that I see it as something interesting to talk about. I saw a user once recieved a pair of Indys with one single raw brass eyelet. I can see why someone would return such a shoe, but I actually think it's pretty cool. I like rare birds, and not just the ones made out of whiskey and Ravello...

Vicious49

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm trying to decide between:
Alden SF Natty CXL chukka on double waterlock soles OR
Leffot unlined Natty CXL chukka on flex soles?

I am a chukkas guy and I say it entirely depends on what you're looking for. The unlined on flex sole will be softer, won't feel as hot/sweaty in the heat, but you will feel more of what you're walking on. The lined on double sole will be heavier, stiffer, and won't cause you to feel small bumps and stones when you step on them.

I personally own the unlined Leffot on flex soles chukkas but I also live in Houston where it gets hot in the summer time. For that reason I prefer the unlined version. I also don't do much walking on anything but carpet and a bit of pavement on most days.

Sorry but I see basically no difference.

Same

I personally prefer the greater support and stability of the double leather or double waterlock soles. The single leather/flex soles are thin (slipper-like) and make my feet and ankles (and knees for that matter) feel terrible at the end of a long day. I try to avoid wearing them when I know I will be on my feet all day.

Good luck!

I avoid both and try to go with a commando or crepe sole if I'm going to be walking a lot or on my feet most of the day.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MrDV : Yeah, Plaza looks good but the fit just didn't work out. I'm pretty much Barrie for now on and I leave smart shoes (i.e., balmorals) to other brands. @tifosi and @budapest12 can relate!

I can relate.

I avoid both and try to go with a commando or crepe sole if I'm going to be walking a lot or on my feet most of the day.

Got to chime in again on the comfort of crepe. Works on casual makeups only, but it gives terrific support. Commando is very comfortable too and a bit lighter - but if I were going to be walking a lot or on my feet most of the day, I'd give a slight edge to crepe.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two of my favorites.  (Every LWB is a favorite of mine)

What would be your favorite LWB's? They stand out for me as well, the trouble is Alden makes at least 5 makeups I'd love to own. Feel like could swing 2 at the most.

For versatility I am leaning towards a lighter brown like the JCrew Tobacco and a tan suede...

fal32

Reaction score

I am a chukkas guy and I say it entirely depends on what you're looking for. The unlined on flex sole will be softer, won't feel as hot/sweaty in the heat, but you will feel more of what you're walking on. The lined on double sole will be heavier, stiffer, and won't cause you to feel small bumps and stones when you step on them.

I personally own the unlined Leffot on flex soles chukkas but I also live in Houston where it gets hot in the summer time. For that reason I prefer the unlined version. I also don't do much walking on anything but carpet and a bit of pavement on most days.

This makes a lot of sense. I live in Miami so it's very humid in the summer. I'll probably go with the unlined. Thanks everyone for the replies.

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be your favorite LWB's? They stand out for me as well, the trouble is Alden makes at least 5 makeups I'd love to own. Feel like could swing 2 at the most.

For versatility I am leaning towards a lighter brown like the JCrew Tobacco and a tan suede...
To piggyback, if you had to chose - tan suede or natty cxl LWB? Already have Epaulet Innsbruck LWB on commando and looking for something for spring/summer.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I may be an outlier, but I'd go with double leather soles for comfort all day over the commando and crepe (I don't own crepe but I suspect people find them comfortable for the same reason as commando).

The cushion-like give of the commando ( and I presume the plantation crepe) is similar to a running or cross trainer shoe. That actually creates greater instability and lack of support in my ankles. I've decided that I will no longer buy commando soles on shoes, just boots. For a guy who has had joint problems for a while the commando soled boots are now my favorite followed by double leather soled barrie shoes. I twist my ankles all the time when wearing running shoes. Ugh, getting old stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads