• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenLeaman

Reaction score

Guys, know I'm in the alden thread, but need some help for Chippewa rugged boots sizing.
I have a pair of 8D in j crew barrie cordovan captoe boots, but I feel it abit tight to the point that it hurts my 4th toe.
So I'm thinking I'm more of a 8.5D.
I also have a pair of theshoemart 4065 grant last boots in 9D. Same thing, hurts my 4th toe.
I'm not too sure for both cases, a upsize from 8D to 8.5D in barrie and
9D to 9.5D in Grant will help me more or simply getting a E width in the same size will help with my issue.
Perhaps a answer on how to solve my alden sizing for my next pair will be greatly appreciated.
And anyone with Chippewa experience can chime in on how should I be choosing a size for it as well?

I don't live in the states, so a try is impossible..

Will most likely put up my alden cordovan for sale once I get replacements in the right sizing.

I might be able to help a little with the Chippewa sizing.

I wear 9.5D on the Barrie last and 10D on the Grant last. Both fit properly with a nice close fit.

This past spring, I picked up a pair of LL Bean/Chippewa Katahdin Captoe boots for yard work/foul weather dog walks/less expensive pair of knock around boots. I'm pretty sure they are very similar to the boots you're looking at. I went with size 10. They are wider and taller in the toe box than either mentioned Alden lasts and the length seems to run TTS similar to the Grant; the Chippewas fit like a pair of work boots.

I would say your decision should be based on you foot's length with the Chippewas. They are much roomier in the width so you shouldn't run into issues there. Figure out what size/length you need and I bet they will fit good.

Hope that helps.

nakedundermyclothes

Reaction score
Anyone have any leads on sites offering discount codes that work on Aldens? Looks like haberdash excluded Aldens this yr

Last edited:

nfess1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question, i have a few pairs of the alden suede chukkas in size 8.5e that fit great. I am starting to investigate getting (or at least trying to get) some of the alden for j crew cordovan cap toes. Will i be ok with a size 8.5? I havnt seen anything made wide and they wont take waitlist orders. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Nick

shoetree

Reaction score

Hi all,

Quick question, i have a few pairs of the alden suede chukkas in size 8.5e that fit great. I am starting to investigate getting (or at least trying to get) some of the alden for j crew cordovan cap toes. Will i be ok with a size 8.5? I havnt seen anything made wide and they wont take waitlist orders. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Nick

I think your best bet would be to order a 9d.

meowmix1891

Reaction score
I don't want to start up a debate but a friendly pros/cons list---For those who also purchase European brand calf-skin boots/shoes such as EG/JL/GG, what is the big attraction to such expensive calf boots as opposed to a pair of cordovan shoes from Alden/CJ? I actually own about a dozen or so cordovan shoes but no calf-skin shoes at all (started my shoe wardrobe with the big cordovan craze). I'm starting to get into the territory of paying $900 for cordovan boots from international sellers like Fransboone and I'm wondering if calf-skin boots like the EG galway or GG thorpe are worth looking into. Sorry this is a cross post in another thread.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't want to start up a debate but a friendly pros/cons list---For those who also purchase European brand calf-skin boots/shoes such as EG/JL/GG, what is the big attraction to such expensive calf boots as opposed to a pair of cordovan shoes from Alden/CJ? I actually own about a dozen or so cordovan shoes but no calf-skin shoes at all (started my shoe wardrobe with the big cordovan craze). I'm starting to get into the territory of paying $900 for cordovan boots from international sellers like Fransboone and I'm wondering if calf-skin boots like the EG galway or GG thorpe are worth looking into. Sorry this is a cross post in another thread.

Boots like the EG Galway will look "sharper" for lack of a better word than cordovan boots offered by most of the familiar makers (Alden, CJ, Trickers, Viberg, etc). This is more of a function of the lasts than anything else, but in a way, calfskin can look "dressier" as well than cordovan, especially if recently shined. I own English calskin shoes from G&G and EG - I usually wear them with suits or more formal business casual wear.

EDIT - one of NAMOR's old posts illustrates what I am talking about pretty clearly:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/291745/...tures-info-and-where-to-buy/1770#post_6012943

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have additional photos of the new Leffot Ravello Daytrippers? I am curious about how they turned out. Thanks.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Unlined Snuff LHS

-Mike

shoetree

Reaction score

Thanks. Thatll cover the layden to barrie last conversion?

I thought your chukkas were barrie also. I don't have anything in the leydon. But you may be correct with the 8.5. I would order multiple sizes and return the ones that don't fit. J crew is pretty painless when it comes to returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members