• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
Does anyone have an email address/contact for someone at Alden? I sent a pair of Cigar LWB for restoration and they came back ruined, they must've stretched them somehow because they don't fit at all anymore. I've since sent them back twice for inspection - the first time they sent them back with a makeshift insole, I complained that they still didn't fit even with the insole, and I shouldn't need one since it wasn't required before. They requested I send them back again, and they called back today after inspection that they're firm on their stance, the shoes weren't stretched and still fit true to size. The guy offered to credit me back for the restoration but that doesn't really help my case, I'm getting paid back $160 for the restore but the shoes cost $800 and don't fit anymore. He was also rude and made a bunch of speculative accusations which was a nice touch. I had them for 3+ years, wore them all the time until holes wore through the soles, I know how they fit before the restore. I even went and tried on a new pair in the same size, fit just like mine before the restore. Mine are a 9D (I'm brannock 9.5D), but now fit like a new 10D.

Really not sure what to do at this point, but don't want to write this off as a complete loss, they were my favorite shoes. I told them I want the shoes to either be restored to the condition and size that they were in or replaced if this is not possible, but he said neither solution was possible and they'd only credit me back for the restore.

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage...

Nothing but carpet this week. Very comfortable and the fit is perfect... couldn't be more pleased. I am wondering though, if the commando soles would have been a better option. Oh well... I do love the double leather soles for the comfort and stability.
Gorgeous and congratulations on the maiden voyage friend!

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot Dog Day #49
That sucks. I wish I had a name and number for you, but I don't.

Alden likely feels they've followed proper procedure. They restore hundreds of shoes a year, they likely feel the new fit predicament is in your head and not a result of the restoration. I wonder if they would issue a replacement if the shoes were #8 or black shell.
What a terrible experience.

z8k1n

Reaction score
Maiden voyage...

Nothing but carpet this week. Very comfortable and the fit is perfect... couldn't be more pleased. I am wondering though, if the commando soles would have been a better option. Oh well... I do love the double leather soles for the comfort and stability.
That is a super sweet looking boot, congrats..

Alpina

Reaction score
Does anyone have an email address/contact for someone at Alden? I sent a pair of Cigar LWB for restoration and they came back ruined, they must've stretched them somehow because they don't fit at all anymore. I've since sent them back twice for inspection - the first time they sent them back with a makeshift insole, I complained that they still didn't fit even with the insole, and I shouldn't need one since it wasn't required before. They requested I send them back again, and they called back today after inspection that they're firm on their stance, the shoes weren't stretched and still fit true to size. The guy offered to credit me back for the restoration but that doesn't really help my case, I'm getting paid back $160 for the restore but the shoes cost $800 and don't fit anymore. He was also rude and made a bunch of speculative accusations which was a nice touch. I had them for 3+ years, wore them all the time until holes wore through the soles, I know how they fit before the restore. I even went and tried on a new pair in the same size, fit just like mine before the restore. Mine are a 9D (I'm brannock 9.5D), but now fit like a new 10D.

Really not sure what to do at this point, but don't want to write this off as a complete loss, they were my favorite shoes. I told them I want the shoes to either be restored to the condition and size that they were in or replaced if this is not possible, but he said neither solution was possible and they'd only credit me back for the restore.
Terrible experience, indeed. I would expect that if a shoe felt different post-restoration, it would be primarily in the width. But when you say the 9D now feels like a 10D, that length difference seems particularly dramatic, and it's one you should be able to demonstrate. When you went to try on the new 9Ds, did you happen to hold the sole up to one of your restored ones?

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score

Terrible experience, indeed.  I would expect that if a shoe felt different post-restoration, it would be primarily in the width.  But when you say the 9D now feels like a 10D, that length difference seems particularly dramatic, and it's one you should be able to demonstrate.  When you went to try on the new 9Ds, did you happen to hold the sole up to one of your restored ones?

I did compare them, but I couldn't see a difference in the length. In the way that they feel, it's most definitely a stretch in the width, not really the length. I'm just comparing to what they had in the store, I tried on the 9D and 10D and my restored shoes felt much closer to the 10D than the 9D, which is what they're marked.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were unable to send me a picture of the Captoes but they are shipping today so I should get them soon. Joe did say they are more redish like the older ravello and that all who get them should be really pleased.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were unable to send me a picture of the Captoes but they are shipping today so I should get them soon. Joe did say they are more redish like the older ravello and that all who get them should be really pleased.
I was told the same. Fingers crossed.

thams

Reaction score

I'm hoping the Day Trippers will be similar in color. I called Leffot today for an update. No word from Alden about the Day Trippers.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experiences with Alden restoration have always been good. I find it unfortunate if your shoes no longer fit.

I am skeptical your shoes were stretched one full size through restoration. Yet, there will always be some variance in fit following a resole. Also, it sounds like Alden tried to fix the problem with an insole of some sort, which you refused. While it's a lousy situation, I find it unreasonable to expect them to provide a new pair to replace three year old used shoes that had holes upon their arrival to Alden.

While Alden's restoration operation is decent, they cannot make old shoes perfectly new again, or work other miracles. You have to understand the limitations of re-crafting. Also how well did the shoes fit when you sent them to Alden? (They would not have been as cushy and snug as new shoes fit.) I raise this question because many people on the forums have bespoke-level or unreasonable expectations of quality, fit, longevity, durability, etc. on what are merely solid machine made ready-to-wear shoes. It's possible you may have to adjust your expectations.

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score

My experiences with Alden restoration have always been good. I find it unfortunate if your shoes no longer fit.

I am skeptical your shoes were stretched one full size through restoration. Yet, there will always be some variance in fit following a resole. Also, it sounds like Alden tried to fix the problem with an insole of some sort, which you refused. While it's a lousy situation, I find it unreasonable to expect them to provide a new pair to replace three year old used shoes that had holes upon their arrival to Alden.

While Alden's restoration operation is decent, they cannot make old shoes perfectly new again, or work other miracles. You have to understand the limitations of re-crafting. Also how well did the shoes fit when you sent them to Alden? (They would not have been as cushy and snug as new shoes fit.) I raise this question because many people on the forums have bespoke-level or unreasonable expectations of quality, fit, longevity, durability, etc. on what are merely solid machine made ready-to-wear shoes. It's possible you may have to adjust your expectations.

I'm not saying that they stretched a full size - they just fit closer to how a new 10D fits than a new 9D. I understand that there is some variance in the restore, but this much is not acceptable and I just want them to make good on what happened. I didn't refuse the insoles or say that in my post, I tried the insoles and they didn't make the problem much better. My feet are still covered in blisters after a day of wear, which never happened before.

Before I sent the shoes to Alden they were as comfortable as a pair of sneakers, honestly. I never had a pair of dress shoes I'd willingly wear to walk around the city all day, but these were so comfortable that I would pick them before I'd pick my sneakers, they were that good.

I understand that their restoration process is decent, but sometimes human errors do occur, it just seems like they're being defensive. I've also received a few PMs about similar experiences and having done some research here and on other forums proves this does happen at least occasionally. The problem is that they don't seem to react well to it, customer service isn't good.

I'm not expecting a refund or for them to give me the purchase price for my shoes, I just want my shoes to fit the way that they did when I sent them to them or be able to wear them without pain.

totalair1

Reaction score
SF Members-I need some advice. I have a pair of Ultimate Indy boots that I've got some stitching showing around the welt. Other than being unsightly I've not experienced any issues. They are in warranty. What do think is the best way to get resolved? Directly contact with Alden, or go back to Leather Soul?

See Ya,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads