• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Have you tried calling them and stating your case? Apologies if you already answered this question. I was once able to get AE to waive a restocking fee for a pair of seconds that they admitted never should have left the Shoe Bank (one shoe had what looked like a knife slash on the upper).

Last edited:

ElDave

Reaction score

I had the Sanderson but that didn't work well for my pickie so I gave it to my brother. that aside, Alden has a better all around style. I think Sanderson's last would be better for some style other than LWB.

I agree regarding the the Sanderson last being better for another design, particularly if they just switched it from a long- to a short-wing.

Regarding which is "better," I certainly like the Alden better, at least when it's not on my foot. Unfortunately, while I love the natural welt and all, on my own feet it just doesn't look good (example below.)

Over the last year or so, my shoe collection has been moving to models that I don't even particularly like on a store shelf, but that I feel look good on my feet, in context of my outfit/height/weight, etc.

(Mild exaggeration of how 10.5E Barrie-lasted shoes with natural welts look on my feet.)

ElDave

Reaction score

PSA: Don't buy CXLs from TSM's seconds list :brick:

first shoe i inspected looked totally fine to me. minor creasing, some wierd but minor discolorations, some fraying on the welt... all totally fine for me and especially fine for a seconds purchase.

but the left shoe both breaks my heart and pisses me off that some TSM employee had the gall to add in the "you may not crease these in order to return them!" inspection card.

While I'm sorry the purchase didn't work out, this certainly doesn't invalidate the TSM seconds list as a viable option. I've only purchased from the TSM seconds list once, but the Ravello chukkas I received were, as far as I could tell, perfect.

Look at it this way: purchasing any second (Alden or other,) is a small gamble. After shipping and possibly a restocking fee, you're out, what, $30? That's a very small amount, relative to the cost of any Alden shoe.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

While I'm sorry the purchase didn't work out, this certainly doesn't invalidate the TSM seconds list as a viable option. I've only purchased from the TSM seconds list once, but the Ravello chukkas I received were, as far as I could tell, perfect.

Look at it this way: purchasing any second (Alden or other,) is a small gamble. After shipping and possibly a restocking fee, you're out, what, $30? That's a very small amount, relative to the cost of any Alden shoe.

As true as that statement is....I wouldn't be fond of throwing money away.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2n691y8.jpg

black tassels
argyles otc
v7qezk.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

It has been a while since we have had a shoe recovery post, so I thought that I would post mine. As I think I have mentioned before, I picked up a pair of Leffot Ravello Tassels off of eBay a few weeks back. Unfortunately, they aren't my size, but I put a lot of labor into recovering them. Here are the before and after pictures...

Before - They had some bad creases, several slashes/nicks, and some signs of water.

After - not perfect yet, but with more TLC, they will be.

The method that I used on them was to buff with a moist towel, brush for a long time, buff with a dry towel, rub main creases and nicks with a deer bone, brush again, buff with a dry towel, and then I did a Saphir Reno and Neutral Cordovan Cream job to get them nourished and back to beautiful. Finally, I brushed them again and then buffed them.

Sadly, their new owner, of whom they will actually fit, will be taking them on today. But, I know that they will be in great hands (or feet, whatever).

Have an awesome Friday fellow Alden aficionados.

-Mike

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gentlemen, It has been a while since we have had a shoe recovery post, so I thought that I would post mine. As I think I have mentioned before, I picked up a pair of Leffot Ravello Tassels off of eBay a few weeks back. Unfortunately, they aren't my size, but I put a lot of labor into recovering them. Here are the before and after pictures... Before - They had some bad creases, several slashes/nicks, and some signs of water.
!]
After - not perfect yet, but with more TLC, they will be. ://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1305094/] [/
URL] The method that I used on them was to buff with a moist towel, brush for a long time, buff with a dry towel, rub main creases and nicks with a deer bone, brush again, buff with a dry towel, and then I did a Saphir Reno and Neutral Cordovan Cream job to get them nourished and back to beautiful. Finally, I brushed them again and then buffed them. Sadly, their new owner, of whom they will actually fit, will be taking them on today. But, I know that they will be in great hands (or feet, whatever). Have an awesome Friday fellow Alden aficionados. -Mike
nephew, well done job! thank you for posting

Last edited:

tigerpac

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^I'm surprised the whiskey got water marks, I think they'll work themselves out over time.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good job on the ravello tassels mdubs. This thread needs more posts like this in which patina and restoration/care are prized. Sometimes all of the fetishization of new make ups leaves me shrugging. Alden's time tested classics are awesome, and shoes should be worn not stowed away untouched in a closet.

Happy Friday. Cheers.

epc2

Reaction score

I must resist. Mind you I am usually unable to resist after a few cocktails, which will happen tonight....
Wondering how these will fit, Dover pattern but lined, all the Unlined Dovers I've tried felt a bit snugger than the lined PTB's , interesting model for sure.

Last edited:

REguy

Reaction score

Yeah, I am returning them. But I hate returning shoes and I'm paying $18 for TSM to ship them to me and ship them back and ultimately just sell them to some other chap. So I'm peeved about it.

Even though you roll the dice on the seconds, some pairs are so messed up you shouldn't have to pay to return them. I once received a pair where the shoes were two different sizes and they wouldn't refund my return shipping. Needless to say, I was pretty miffed. However, it hasn't stopped my continued patronage of TSM. I deal with enough morons in my daily life that I've come to realize sometimes a satisfactory outcome isn't worth the effort and mental anguish required to get there. Think of your $18 as the cost of a losing lotto ticket and sleep well tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics