• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love some help. Got my first Aldens from J Crew and the Barrie last seems to be long. I sized down a half size and the fit feels good, but the length of the shoe is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer than my other shoes/boots. Anyone else notice experience this?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in DC for the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend and after lunch with my buddy near his office, I decided to walk a few blocks over to check out the Alden store. I wasn't planning on buying anything but they had a pair of Plaza-last brown kid suede loafers that had been discontinued and marked down and happened to be in my size.

They had some great cigar color straight tip boots in my size but I resisted the urge. I cannot say I'll be able to hold off if I end up back in that neighborhood tomorrow though...

I also stopped by the J. Press store and picked up a few OCBD shirts - pink, white, and blue... which I'm already wearing. I just wish they made their striped ones with the flap pocket too.

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
finally getting some cooler temps. perfect to break in the indys. bad pic, too late in the day. thinking these will become my most worn pair here on out

shaunw

Reaction score

A size 10 D Barrie fits me perfectly. I found a boot that I want and the problem is it is only available in a 9 1/2 E or a 10 1/2 D. I do not want to go with the shorter boot. If I get the 10 1/2 D and put a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts in them do you think that might help with the fit or do you think that a 10.5 D has that much more extra room that they would just be unwearable?

9.5 e my man, you dont want a big long shoe/boot. I wear a 10 d or 9.5 e. The 9.5 e is actually better.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any advice out there on what polish to use for Cigar? Alden paste wax in brown? other?

other Cigar care tips appreciated.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advice out there on what polish to use for Cigar? Alden paste wax in brown? other?

my cigar chukkas havent needed any wax for scratches or anything. I just brush them and use a little reno every couple months

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9.5 e my man, you dont want a big long shoe/boot. I wear a 10 d or 9.5 e. The 9.5 e is actually better.
If you are a true 10D in the barrie, I wouldn't consider either the 9.5E or the 10.5D. Be patient and wait for the proper fit.

With that said. I am like shaunw... I usually wear 10D and enjoy the little/tiny bit of extra roominess. The 9.5E maybe the more proper fit with length, but I stick with what has worked well for a long while (10D for barrie). The 10.5D is much too large, but that might just be me.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damp, soft rag and a horse hair brush routinely after use... Alden brown paste wax once per year if that

coinopcollector

Reaction score
My concern is that a 9.5 E will be too short. I can compensate for a shoe that is a bit long but there isn't anything you can do if it is short.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A size 10 D Barrie fits me perfectly. I found a boot that I want and the problem is it is only available in a 9 1/2 E or a 10 1/2 D. I do not want to go with the shorter boot. If I get the 10 1/2 D and put a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts in them do you think that might help with the fit or do you think that a 10.5 D has that much more extra room that they would just be unwearable?

if returns are easy with the retailer, give it a shot.

if not, be patient and wait for a 10D to pop up.

just curious, what is it you're lookin to pick up?

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love some help. Got my first Aldens from J Crew and the Barrie last seems to be long. I sized down a half size and the fit feels good, but the length of the shoe is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer than my other shoes/boots. Anyone else notice experience this?

I'd amend this to a 1/4 inch extra in length. Still, anyone?

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after seeing the cigar fullstraps posted a couple pages back with antique edging, im now interested in the same makeup, but in #8..

anyone offering this makeup?

thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads