• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My two favorite shells for short business trips.

Two very nice pair of shell cordovan wingtips. Are they the Alden Ravello LWB and the RL Marlow wingtip, and do you fly with a shoe horn in your pocket?

alex4nder

Reaction score

interesting. paradoxically, pinky toes getting crowded + heel slip make me think you are a size TOO wide, and that you should try to go narrower. what happens to me, at least, is if a size is too wide, my foot wedges even more toward the front of the shoe than normal, causing 1) my pinky toe to slide forward and hit the side of the toebox/the side of the upper--a crowded feeling--and 2) the heel to be placed too far forward, exacerbating heel slip.

Yah, I get your logic, but I don't think it applies in my case. I've been sized by LS and Alden SF: the ball of my foot is placed in the right spot, and my big toe is where it belongs. I just have monster pinky toes.

it was only after this was explained on some thread here on styleforum that i realized some of my AEs are just too wide.

So far I've had the best luck with AE's shoes. Their toe box width to heel width match me really well. Carmina's wide lasts seems to fit pretty well too.

Winterbourne

Reaction score

This is my issue with Barries. Walking around with the LWB, my pinky toes get crowded and I get heel slip. The same size in Barrie boots is a crap shoot: my SWB is tight but fits, the NSTs I bought are just too narrow. If the 9.5E NSTs I pre-ordered don't fit well, I think I'm going to give up on the Barrie last altogether.

I just found this out too. I sized down by a half from my TTS on the Barrie LWB and noticed some heel slippage. It doesn't feel as though a smaller size would correct the problem because my toes had the right amount of room. Any suggestions on how to remedy this wide heel problem? Wearing them sockless actually helped make my foot catch more at the heel, allowing for a less slippage. At least I know I didn't go too big by the sound of it from some of you guys.

mikeharo

Reaction score

I just found this out too. I sized down by a half from my TTS on the Barrie LWB and noticed some heel slippage. It doesn't feel as though a smaller size would correct the problem because my toes had the right amount of room. Any suggestions on how to remedy this wide heel problem? Wearing them sockless actually helped make my foot catch more at the heel, allowing for a less slippage. At least I know I didn't go too big by the sound of it from some of you guys.

Try a tongue pad or an insole. I am between sizes in a few of my shoes. For some, a tongue pad does the trick, for others, a thin insole fixes it. For example, I am between sizes in Tru-Balanace and a thin insole helped. For a pair of shoes by another manufacturer, a tongue pad fixed some heel slip.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Due to the cork footbed, your heel tends to "sink" into Aldens over time. This may solve a lot of this.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice, looks sleek from that angle. Sort of like a psuedo-Plaza. I want a pair of those...
Awesome way to start! Wear in good health.

I believe NAMOR also takes a narrow width on the Trubalance, which probably contributes to their sleekness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members