• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
other than some modified last calf stuff, I thought I was done with anything non-shell..

then the LS alpine grain wingtip was posted
laugh.gif

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know people say that calf has its place in a collection, but ever since I got my first pair in shell, I haven't been interested in calf whatsoever.

I'm partial to shell by a long shot, but there is a place for calf, imo. Today I wore my EG Walcots in Edwardian Antique (medallion toe balmoral).

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely. It's a point of pride. "Yep. We paid some college kid $87 in 1994 and now Otis just updates the stockists."
I took an IT class and the Professor used to say stuff like this all the time. Makes me suspect that you might be in IT yourself, just because you sound so much like him.

He has his own consulting business where he remedies situations like the one you are describing. Company skimps on hiring a kid to do programing, subsequent IT people put bandaids on top of bandaids, eventually they are up to their ears in technical debt and management that doesn't understand the situation is stubborn about spending the money to fix it correctly.

It was really funny when he would re-enact his conversations with them.

Hermitedge

Reaction score

Maybe if Alden charged even more for their shoes they might be able to afford a web developer...

Have you guys ever received the catalog? It's actually quite nice, surprises me the website isn't that smooth.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see a beaten-up pair of Cigar Indy's... Perhaps I should give it a shot

Last edited:

DCRoyal

Reaction score
I've bought from Need Supply a few times and have always been happy with the results. I will agree that their prices are pretty good, especially for items that never seem to get marked down at retailers like UnionMade or Context Clothing.

NSC is one of my favorite stores in the country. Also a sponsor of this site. Routinely give 10% off codes for members. Have not tried to buy Alden, so it would not surprise me if they are exempt. If you ever find yourself in Richmond you should stop in. I get there a few times a year and always try to pop in.

Countingsheep

Reaction score

I have yet to see a beaten-up pair of Cigar Indy's... Perhaps I should give it a shot

Please do... I'm doing it with my color 8s and am convinced they'll only look better after numerous beatings and scars. We'll have a contest...
:slayer:

jereth

Reaction score
Its been said in here somewhere before that black will fade to a grayish in creases but nothing like the other colors. I believe black wax polish will prevent even that, should stay pretty black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads