• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

str1185

Reaction score
Maiden voyage after Mac break-in. Photo tips by El Argentino

Don't judge a man by the carpet he's standing on. It's not his...

dy3egenu.jpg
Those look great and really do shine... congrats!

dusttruffle

Reaction score

Speaking of which, the stock "Foot Balance" heel on the Indy boots (non-commando sole) seem really very sturdy and seem to last a long time.
Am I correct that these are not used on shell Indys ever? Commando, double leather or Waterloc are the only options? Personally I would like it.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I correct that these are not used on shell Indys ever? Commando, double leather or Waterloc are the only options? Personally I would like it.

My whiskey Indy has a "Footbalance" rubber heel with the double waterlock sole. These were the Styleforum group order. I don't believe I have seen that elsewhere.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maiden voyage after Mac break-in. Photo tips by El Argentino
dy3egenu.jpg

I like it. :thumbs-up:

Japan Blue 400sp
Alden x Epaulet Natural CXL LWBs

Last edited:

Dbc0919

Reaction score
Looking for some first hand experience here. It's time for a bit of wax for my Ravello LWBs. They are definitely that red leaning ravello and I want to keep it that way. I've heard others here indicate that they use Alden brown but I just can't see how the brown used for cigar can be used on ravello without significantly darkening the color. What are others experiences? Anyone use Kiwi? Tan, light tan, mid tan? What about Saphir neutral Cordovan cream? How's it different then renovateur?

Alpina

Reaction score
Looking for some first hand experience here. It's time for a bit of wax for my Ravello LWBs. They are definitely that red leaning ravello and I want to keep it that way. I've heard others here indicate that they use Alden brown but I just can't see how the brown used for cigar can be used on ravello without significantly darkening the color. What are others experiences? Anyone use Kiwi? Tan, light tan, mid tan? What about Saphir neutral Cordovan cream? How's it different then renovateur?
lurker[1].gif

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden NYC recommended Kiwi mid-tan to me, and that's the color that seems to match up best IMO. Alden brown is better used on cigar IMO

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would splurge for some Saphir Neutral - either cordovan cream (preferred), or wax. Either can be had at Hangar Project. No color change should occur.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My feeling is to only use Sapphire Reno and leave any pigment cream use to way down the road when Reno alone, does not give the desired result, and to be honest, that is a trigger to me to send them to Alden for restoration..

Shell needs to be able to age gracefully and the variation and patina is part of the charm

There is also the issue that too much wax in the creases will have a negative effect on Cordovan.

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

I would splurge for some Saphir Neutral - either cordovan cream (preferred), or wax. Either can be had at Hangar Project. No color change should occur.

this. always saphir neutral cordovan for me. on cigar, color 8, ravello. doesn't matter. only cordovan color i use a pigmented creme on is black.

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score

Great looking boots! How do you like them? I love the red laces. J Crew just confirmed yesterday that mine are on the way. As always, wear in good health.

Thanks man, you're going to love them. I was on the fence about the brogued cap toe but after consulting the fine gentlemen on this board I decided to get out of my comfort zone a bit. Glad I did because I really like them and have warmed up to the brogueing. They're super versatile. I usually wear them with jeans but they're my go-to whenever I'm in herringbone. This is my first single-soled Alden and I can feel the difference after walking in the city all day, but not enough to cause any kind of pain. The flat 270 welt is what sold me. It's a nice change of pace from the rest of my modest collection which consists mostly of longwings on double leather.

Enjoy them and post pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads