• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JjasonL

Reaction score
what kind of polishing cloth does everyone use on their shells?
cotton tees? flannel clothes? can i use soft microfiber towels?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Wow, you put a lot of thought in to it. I just wear mine and what will be will be. I don't do the Mac break in method or any if these other 'tricks'.

The Mac Break-In Method is really just recommended to ensure proper fit before making them unreturnable by wearing them outside. I know all of my sizes and just go from box to wild.

Went with the Leffot tobacco chamois LWBs today.

Those are great looking LWBs! Hmmm...

I feel good. Not even the crappy carpeting in my hotel can get me down.

Beautiful boots, but hot dog, that totally looks photoshopped due to the line in the carpet. Really strange effect, but cool. I am trying to decide if I want to toppy my boots or not before I take mine out for a spin....

Always nice to see a 975 here!

Creasing setting in after a 20 minute walk.

Still looking superb!

Went snuff today for the first incling of spring

Nice looking Wingtip Boots my friend! Great with the Commando sole on it!

King LWB today.

Again, always nice to see the 975, but those have quite a color to them....

Maiden Voyage!

Superb!

Wait time has expired. Maiden voyage

Looking great in your Color 8 NST Boots my friend.

Is this week over yet?

Looking good Inn8.

@McBear my whiskey LWB are creased to hell and back because of my odd shaped foot, but I don't let it get to me. I don't think any "trick" would have helped these except not wearing them.

Looking great Tif. :)

Wearing mine today too.. different strokes for different folks but I couldn't be more pleased with how these are aging.

Again, looking great!

Just love Whiskey on the rocks!

Really beauties. I love the LWB and it looks great in any color it wears.

most will say Ravello or Whiskey but I would say CXL

Do the Whiskey Unlined LHS... :) Okay, just do a Whiskey LHS...

Getting a bit of "antique edgification fatigue". The NSTs look good but somehow it feels wrong to me.

Yeah, this doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I love my Naval boots.

I hear you, the Navel is pretty nice but neither will be getting ordered by me.

The Naval Boots are top notch my friend, I would recco you at least reconsider it...

Had to join in with the Ravello action that's been happening over the past few days.

Your Daytrippers look superb!!!

Yea they do!

Again, love their color.

Brown chrmxl LWBs today...

Look great Repp!

Speaking of Naval boots, I just snapped a few pictures of mine. I know I share them a fair bit, but I'm just so excited to see sunlight again!

Looks great Thams! Kathy would yell at you (or me) for not putting enough paste wax on them, but they look good to me!!!

had them for a week.. sucks that they were a bit too small!! argh

Nice Frans Boots!

Whiskey WTB from AoM

This flaw is the only noticeable one, but it is damn annoying.. on the side of one of the boots. A black line running across part of the boot.

I hate meetings sometimes... Caused me to miss out on these!

Comparison of Alden Ravello to Carmina Cognac.

Looking great Buda!!! We have twins! I have both of them also... ;-) Yeah, the colors are super close...

whiskey LHS

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! We have a winner!

What do you guys think about these shoes with dark denim/ in general? I'm in a very casual work environment. Yes or no?

Yes

ravello x leffot

Beuaties DV! Love the socks too! It was too dark when I left work today, so no outdoors pic for me...

Quite a day, I received three pair of Aldens! Whiskey WTBoots, Cigar Balmoral (catch and release) and Ravello Cap Toe Boots

The WhiskeyWTB I can't wait to get rolling but these Ravello boots are crazy fantastic

With Anatomica's Ravello

I thought the new Cigar Chukkas were dark and I was going to let them go.. here is a comparison w Cigar WTBoot, Balmorals way too dark for me..

WTBoots because I can't help it and have to give my friend their camera back soon ; )

so..the Balmoral's are going back/too dark&fancy for me, if someone wanted to trade for the Whiskey (or Cigar) Chukkas (7.5D) for 7D of an NST in Cigar or Ravello PM me : )
Here is Whiskey Chukka w new WTB

Looking good, sorry the Bals didn't work for you!

I use the Allen Edmonds Cotton Cloths that they sell... Pretty cheap solution, but most anything that won't scratch them should be okay...

-Mike

omgimacarrot

Reaction score
I hear you. I thought the jcrew was pretty much a straight copy too. That one seemed odd bc they sell the Indy. Takes a bit of cheek (maybe chutzpah is the right word) to then also sell an uninspired knockoff too. But it's allowed.

True, but usually they try to differentiate themselves somewhat. This one doesn't even try it look a bit different. I didn't mean 'how is this legal' literally.
It boils down to authenticity and how much you care about quality shoes. Imagine a college student really wanting indys, and they found another pair that looks exactly like it, only cheaper. The average person won't know the difference. Yea to us who know about these things denounced these brands, but I think the average person wouldn't care. Kinda how h&m makes Caborn's camermans

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Naval Boots are top notch my friend, I would recco you at least reconsider it...

They are fantastic but I have my fill of PCT boots at the moment with my AE cappuccino Bayfields. If I was not holding onto those I probably would jump on the preorder tomorrow.

smmrfld

Reaction score

Pedag polishing glove at home, Hanger Project roll-up polishing glove for travel.

totalair1

Reaction score
SF Friends...given the choice would you choose the Leffot #8 Naval boot or the Fran's Boone #8 Parajumper in #8 with brass eyelets? I have the JCrew PCT boot in #8. I was leaning towards the Leffot Naval boot because of the antique edge

Thoughts?

Steve

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

SF Friends...given the choice would you choose the Leffot #8 Naval boot or the Fran's Boone #8 Parajumper in #8 with brass eyelets? I have the JCrew PCT boot in #8. I was leaning towards the Leffot Naval boot because of the antique edge

Thoughts?

Steve

Personally I would go Leffot, but both are terrific.

stevefok

Reaction score

Thoughts?

Steve

I own Jcrew PCT boot too and I vote for Fransboone parajumper!

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's easier to change sole edge color upon a resole than it is to add brass eyelets.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will bite… I think that if you have the JCrew PCT (which I do), both of those options are pretty well redundant.

peepwall[1].gif

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite a day, I received three pair of Aldens! Whiskey WTBoots, Cigar Balmoral (catch and release) and Ravello Cap Toe Boots

Wow, the rotation is strong sir. Nicely done.

Thanks for the kind words dubs. Too dark before work indeed. I've been taking afternoon photos.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, I will bite…  I think that if you have the JCrew PCT (which I do), both of those options are pretty well redundant.  

peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

Was thinking the same thing unless he is going for a better fit. I have the jcrew version too and considered upgrading for fit but realized once I get my tankers the cap toe wear will diminish too.

Alpina

Reaction score
Cotton tees and some cotton fleece-y material I got at at a fabric store. Synthetic shirt material (caplilene and the like) works well for the final touches. I found a synthetic fleece polishing glove to be to grabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads