• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In need of some advice... Will having the new ravello PTB and this Aberdeen cigar PTB be too redundant? The ravello PTB is pretty dark... almost cigar-like with dark edge (the Aberdeen PTB has a light or mid tan antique edge)
My other option is the new Unionmade color 8 PTB with mid tan antique edge on commando. I also have the standard 990. Will both be redundant?? Thanks!

Yes, both #8 PTBs will be redundant, but there's something cool about the Unionmade one. It does look chunkier than it really is, due to the antique edge and commando sole. Looks blobbier than other PTBs to my eye. Still, wish I had bought it.

movoblast

Reaction score
In need of some advice... Will having the new ravello PTB and this Aberdeen cigar PTB be too redundant? The ravello PTB is pretty dark... almost cigar-like with dark edge (the Aberdeen PTB has a light or mid tan antique edge)
My other option is the new Unionmade color 8 PTB with mid tan antique edge on commando. I also have the standard 990. Will both be redundant?? Thanks!
I went through this same exact problem this past weekend with the ravello and cigar lwb pre-order with Adam. In the end, I decided against getting both for this reason, as well as the need to diversify my shoe wardrobe. To us SFers, we might be able to see the difference but to the rest of the world, it will look like the same exact pair. Especially after some wear and the cigars lighten up, I was afraid the colors would be too close. If I had limiteless funds, I would have bought both and seen how the new ravellos evolved, but since that is not the case, I deemed it a risk.

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Morning cigar.

Those laces look almost purple or deep blue. Are they?

Where did you get these Indys?

I'd love a cigar Indy on Barrie in size 8D or 8E...

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those laces look almost purple or deep blue. Are they?

Where did you get these Indys?

I'd love a cigar Indy on Barrie in size 8D or 8E...
Me too. I have almost had the ability to purchase a Cigar and Whiskey Indy 2nd hand from other SF members but in both instances they ultimately decided against selling....

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm 12D in Barrie, would I be looking at a 12.5D in Aberdeen? Think I could pull off a 13D?

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lack of new stock and store closing doesn't look good. Hope they succeed, though when I was calling around several months ago looking for a couple of specific Alden models, whoever answered their primary phone line was pretty nasty...in fact, the only poor customer service response I received from any of the Alden dealers I called,

I have tried to reach the Hawaii boys several times (about an existing pre-order) via phone and email with no response. Kind of miffed about that as well.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have tried to reach the Hawaii boys several times (about an existing pre-order) via phone and email with no response. Kind of miffed about that as well.
Sorry to hear that. I tried to purchase a pair of Trickers recently and gave up due to lack of communication and responsiveness.

jkater1

Reaction score

If I'm 12D in Barrie, would I be looking at a 12.5D in Aberdeen? Think I could pull off a 13D?

I'm a 10d Barrie and have a pair of NST's on the Aberdeen in 11d, tts 10.5d was too small. So I think it would work for you.

Last edited:

movoblast

Reaction score
I always fall for this as well (thinking I can make a half size big work) and I'm always disappointed. Then there's the hassle of making a trip to UPS.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am 9.5 D in Barrie and 10 D in Grant. I was in SF not long ago and finally got the opportunity to get fitted in Aberdeen at the SF store. Sadly, I am a 10 E in that last, which kind of defeats the purpose of it (i.e., the sleekness). So, probably no Aberdeen-lasted shoes for me. Hopefully your experience will be better.

totalair1

Reaction score
I always fall for this as well (thinking I can make a half size big work) and I'm always disappointed. Then there's the hassle of making a trip to UPS.
Everybody's foot is different and how their foot interacts with a particular last differs too. How an individual wants a shoe to fit their foot also varies a lot! Some like it snug, others loose, and of course some just right. The difficult thing to answer...what is just right. I typically wear a 14D in most brands. Thats the size I started with in Alden. To be honest loafers are too loose, anything with laces works ok, specially Aberdeen. I then tried 13D on Barrie...perfect fit for me. I have most lasts in 13D...if the shoe laces they fit good. If it does not lace I need a 13E, I also wear 13E in the Grant last boot.

Therefore I think going from a 12D Barrie to a 13D on Aberdeen might work ok...specially if it laces. The only way you will know for sure is to try it. Making a trip to UPS or FedEx to return a pair is minor in the grand scheme of things if it allows you to get a pair you really want. No doubt theres a urge to get a rare Alden shoe and that drives many to buy a shoe that does not fit, be it too big or too small. No question a shoe that does not fit will sit in the closet more than a shoe that fits well. The point of my story is Alden is a lot more common is size 12D or 13D than 12.5. In my humble opinion its worth a try 1 time to see if the shoe you're interested does fit in a narrower last like Aberdeen in size 13D. I can assure you my statements are not skewed, I wear 13D so I'm in competition with you for 13D. Nor do I disagree with movoblast...I think his comments and experience is honest and accurate too.

Hope this helps! As always the best advice is to try on in person...when possible

See Ya,
Steve

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads