• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

movoblast

Reaction score
Dude I spent the last 2 days literally spending every waking moment studying for an exam. In hindsight I wish I had taken a break now and then because the exam was not that bad. If I HAD taken a break, I would have seen the major PSA about the JCrew deal gahhhhh! I'm so sad I didn't catch that deal. I remember trying the code out with some calf LWB when the code first came out, but giving up real easy when it didn't work. Who knew there would be a glitch. I reallllllly want a pair of LWB!!!!!

Last edited:

coinopcollector

Reaction score

If someone I hired for a job told me that I would have fired him on the spot. I rather have someone with the mindset "I will strive for perfection, and give you excellence." 

You missed the point. He was doing an excellent job and I was being unrealistic OCD and nit picky.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The importance of buying American is a largely sentimental/emotional notion isn't it? If products are of equal quality, I'll support American, but I won't compromise on quality just to support American.

If e-bay resale value is what you're going by, Nike Jordans might be some of the best "value" shoes. Are we saying that the construction and materials etc. are worth hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars? This particular market is driven largely by the emotional attachment to the brand IMO. There's nothing wrong with that: people should just be more honest with themselves about it.

Whose being dishonest with themselves. If I want to buy a pair of Alden plaza lasted work boots for $800, that's my honest-to-myself choice, right? Who are you to tell me I'm not being honest with myself?? Shoes are only worth what the individual is willing to pay, period. Forget all this nonsense about failing to be honest with one's self. To each his own, my friend...

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Much like Alden does, regardless of the last. You can't begin to believe that $800 Aldens are worth the money by any objective metric. Of course from an emotional/sentimental aspect, people will pay up front to wait years for a likely "with character" product, so yes - if you must have glazed Alden shell in a chunky last, go right on ahead.

My last remaining pair of Aldens: Aberdeen lasted black shell cap-toe bluchers. They cost me less than half of $800. They are worth what I paid.
One metric that people missed in the St. Crispin thread when this "worth" discussion was debated there was access. I live in the Bay Area with difficult feet, so I have to try on several sizes/lasts to get a comfortable fit.

I'd love to try Vass and was considering trying them for my shell purchases, but they don't do trunk shows and the 2-3 month wait really kills me (I'm an instant gratification type of guy). So with shell I was really limited to Carmina, Alden, CJ which are all essentially the same price and build. Alden has a storefront here though, while Carmina and C&J are limited to Barneys/Wilkes.

docalden2013

Reaction score
Dude I spent the last 2 days literally spending every waking moment studying for an exam. In hindsight I wish I had taken a break now and then because the exam was not that bad. If I HAD taken a break, I would have seen the major PSA about the JCrew deal gahhhhh! I'm so sad I didn't catch that deal. I remember trying the code out with some calf LWB when the code first came out, but giving up real easy when it didn't work. Who knew there would be a glitch. I reallllllly want a pair of LWB!!!!!
The JC personal stylist through whom I've bought stuff has at times allowed me to buy at the sale price when I've missed it by a day or 2. Ask nicely and you may receive.

Another way to approach it is that the JC pricetag of 6 benjamins for the lwb in 8 is, even at the JC retail price, cheaper than the Alden retailers' price for 975 stock. If you really want it, pull trigger. LWBs are sturdy, classy and workable in many contexts. Think of the price per day assuming you have them for 15-20 years.

Here's to hoping you take the plunge and post fun pics soon.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the color imperfections in the tongue of this boot? The rest of the shoe seems pretty close to perfect for Alden standards.

Erik, I am just re-iterating what others have posted. I would not worry about the tongue. The tongue will get nice dents from the laces and look beat relatively quickly. Also, the tongue is out of focus when the shoes are laced up.

-Mike

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whose being dishonest with themselves.  If I want to buy a pair of Alden plaza lasted work boots for $800, that's my honest-to-myself choice, right?  Who are you to tell me I'm not being honest with myself??  Shoes are only worth what the individual is willing to pay, period.  Forget all this nonsense about failing to be honest with one's self.  To each his own, my friend...

People gloss over Alden's issues or brush them under the rug going on about beautiful shell. It does new readers a disservice when they read this thread or post about issues that other manufacturers would not let reach the customer (or not nearly as frequently) and are told that it's "normal" or that they're being "too picky". Don't pretend like Aldens make a very high quality shoe. They make a quirky shoe. You may have some sort of emotional attachment or forgiveness for these quirks, but don't try and kid yourself that you're paying for quality. Yes, everybody likes different things... it's OK to like fast food and acknowledge it isn't "good" food.

This isn't AAAC or fedora lounge or whatever. It's okay...

One metric that people missed in the St. Crispin thread when this "worth" discussion was debated there was access. I live in the Bay Area with difficult feet, so I have to try on several sizes/lasts to get a comfortable fit.

I'd love to try Vass and was considering trying them for my shell purchases, but they don't do trunk shows and the 2-3 month wait really kills me (I'm an instant gratification type of guy). So with shell I was really limited to Carmina, Alden, CJ which are all essentially the same price and build. Alden has a storefront here though, while Carmina and C&J are limited to Barneys/Wilkes.

Tell this to the people waiting 2+ years for the Epaulet Brixtons that haven't even been confirmed yet.

ETA: I also forgot that people in this thread don't use multiquote or spoiler tags. This thread is its own little insulated bubble within Styleforum.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Because I have no patience whatsoever, I paid for overnight shipping of yesterday's J. Crew order - navy CXL PT and LW Bs.

The former:

Not bad . . . not bad at all. (N.B. They did not come with two different colored laces - I put the natural-colored one on for a reason that will become obvious in a moment.) BUT . . . WTF?

Those are surprisingly deep and they're not the only ones. It's CXL so I'm not inclined to get in that much of a twist over it . . . but score another one for shoddy Alden QC.

Now, the gunboats . . . ah, the gunboats:

Of course they're the ones that are NOT on sale . . . but I don't think I can let them out of my possession now.

So, all in all, it's the opposite of what I was expecting: not 100% sold on the PTBs, but in luv with the LWBs.

Very nice samples of Blue CXL. I am glad that you "luv" your shoes. That is why we are here, right?

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
More longwing love today. 975 is killer!

FYI, these are 3 years old and worn frequently; not much in the way of creasing and rolls.

RTP, those are looking superb for 3 years with frequent use. You are making me regret the Color 8 LWB hole in my closet. It will get filled someday soon. After I get off of my Ravello, Cigar, and Whiskey purge, which Alden seems to be doing for me... :)

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Had to share this. A new pair of 986s and a customer's 30+ year old pair.

Tom, that is a terrific shot of some quintessential Alden shoes. It makes me happy to see shoes that have been worn for 30 years.

Are they going to send them in for a restore/resole? I would love to see how those came back from the factory...

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads