• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured that the TSM sale wouldn't last for long...

What I don't understand is that someone must have actually gone through and decided what items to put on sale and for what discount beforehand. For example, someone put a 3% discount on black LWB, a 20% discount on color 8 chukkas, PTB and longwings, and no discounts on cordovan boots. That individual should have known they would pull the sale hours after it was online. Or maybe another retailer contacted Alden.

fitchottie

Reaction score
Yea, the TSM sale was not honored for me either. I was told there was no such sale. Oh well just save $600.00. not meant to be.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Jeez can't even get into work before people killed the sale
baldy[1].gif

totalair1

Reaction score
Quote:
According to Kathy I'm supposed to be on the list for any rare color make up that gets confirmed. However...my experience has been that this forum mentions a make up thats coming and I call and ask. I'm told yes it's coming and you were on the list to call, we can confirm it for you now. My point being is I never count on being called about rare colors being available. I can however count on my friends on SF to spread the word and that's priceless! See Ya, Steve

thromb

Reaction score

Wow...seriously???

After reading the intial sale post I checked TSM website this early morning and indeed a number of Alden shoes at 20% off. Checked again once I got to work and everything is back to regular price. Oh well...was almost too good to be true.

EngProf

Reaction score

First rule of StyleForum sales: never call the store.

Well, I had to. When I originally tried to order on line, the system displayed the message that the shoe could be shipped from the factory and that I should call the store to place the order.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was gonna pick up those Kudu Indys with that nice sale price. Oh well, guess I'll have to wear flip flops all winter long. It's gonna be a long, cold, frost-bitten winter.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recommend the unlined version from BB.  Wait for the next corporate event and get them 30% off.

They fit tighter than the lined, right? I have fit issues with the vamp of the LHS... After my feet shrank a bit I think I can now fit into a 9.5E LHS but I would worry about the unlined version

BTW, your photos of your 9016 convinced me to go with that model. Brooks Brothers on Madison said they didn't have any of their version and had no idea when a restock would come in, so 9016 it is. .

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was gonna pick up those Kudu Indys with that nice sale price. Oh well, guess I'll have to wear flip flops all winter long. It's gonna be a long, cold, frost-bitten winter.

I guess you will have to suffer in those Vibergs
rotflmao.gif

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure you can come up with something else...

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that is their standard "out of stock" message.

this

And not calling is not just an SF rule, that's an internet rule. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever call when a surprise sale shows up for something that is typically not on sale. I wonder if anyone who placed an order will actually have the sale price honored.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They fit tighter than the lined, right? I have fit issues with the vamp of the LHS... After my feet shrank a bit I think I can now fit into a 9.5E LHS but I would worry about the unlined version

BTW, your photos of your 9016 convinced me to go with that model. Brooks Brothers on Madison said they didn't have any of their version and had no idea when a restock would come in, so 9016 it is. .

I can't really say for certain, as different people report different experiences. My Unlined LHS were my first pair of Aldens, and I got them TTS (9.5) not knowing anything about lasts or sizing down. A few months later I went to add a lined pair in a different color and the 9.5D was too big. Exchanged for a 9D, better but still too loose. Exchanged for a 9C which is spot on. I subsequently added another lined color in 9C.

I think a big part of it is that the unlined is more forgiving because it is more flexible, and the lined is stiff, so more prone to heel slip. So in my experience, the unlined is not tighter fitting, just more flexible so you can tolerate a larger size than you could in the lined. The back of the heel on the LHS comes up very low on the back of the ankle, so it doesn't really lock your heel in very much.

In regard to the tightness across the instep, I experience a little bit of that at first. Not an impossible amount, but it does sort of bunch up my sock on the top part of my foot above the tongue. Once my foot settles into the cork bed a bit, and a thread or two stretches or breaks, they fit fine. (See Pic)

I guess if it's just a little tight at first, it may work in the end, but if it is foot throbbing circulation cut off, probably not. Also, the unlined may be a little more forgiving in this sense, because while shell stretches very little, if at all, lined shell is going to stretch or mold to your foot even less.

So my conclusion is that the lined and unlined probably fit the same, the unlined is just more forgiving due to increased flexibility.

Also, I do believe that unlined shell can be wrapped more tightly around the last than lined shell, so the unlined may be a little tighter as a consequence, but not like a whole size difference.

Glad that you found my pics of the 9016 helpful. They often went overlooked when I posted them, so I'm glad that they were finally inspirational to someone. I'm pretty pleased with my 9016s and they look excellent with a charcoal suit. Better than Color 8 with Charcoal, or Color 8 with Navy, IMO. It is sort of my NYC Power Combo. As you know, we wear a lot of charcoal, while in other cities, folks wear brown and olive suits, which we really don't see much of here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads