• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oh.em.ghee, this on the plaza/grant last, in whiskey would be the ****

Agreed. I now have the following captoe boots;
#8, plaza last; cigar grant last; ravello grant last. Need the whiskey version and think I would be set as far as this style is concerned.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Does anyone have a ravello wingtip or captoe boot on the barrie in stock?

Bonus for water loc sole.

Last edited:

TheWalrus

Reaction score
Does anyone have a ravello wingtip or captoe boot on the barrie in stock?
Bonus for water loc sole.

Don't know of anything in stock, but I've gotten word from The Shoe Mart that they have a ravello wingtip on the barrie last on order.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apparently Leffot is also getting some suede captoe boots in this fall. Last year, I picked up a pair of rust suede captoes on the Modified last as seconds from ShoeMart. I couldn't determine the flaw, but I have added a few of my own since then.
S2XdV.jpg

Dd8xq.jpg

WTF I have been looking for a suede captoe for ages and hate the Iron Ranger. WANT WANT WANT.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, here is a photo that Steven emailed to me

these are great ... so whats different between this boot and the one that is the group preorder???

RKD, if I recall correctly the Group order through Leffot was on Barrie with a pull tab, all eyelets and on double leather.

This boot is on the Grant with speedhooks and single leather sole. Those are the key differences.

Hope it helps.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the grant sizing advice. Going to jump on the new ravello captoe boot from Leffot. Much appreciated.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the grant sizing advice. Going to jump on the new ravello captoe boot from Leffot. Much appreciated.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jslade, is that an actual quote, verbatim?
wow
thats pretty ******.

Yeah, more or less verbatim. He was very forward about not being very open to accepting returns, and went on about it for a good minute or so when I inquired as to what their return policy was. I didn't mean to cause a **** show with my comment. The service was subpar, but I don't think going to Tom will do any good -- and frankly, what's the point? When it comes down to it, the boots that I received were, as far as I can tell, exactly what was advertised. Next time I'll get my Alden's elsewhere, and that's it. IIRC, Bryan is a personal friend of Tom's as well.

Anyway, I think Tom visits this thread from time to time, so maybe he'll see my dissatisfaction. And it really does seem like many people have had good experiences with Bryan.

Thanks for looking out, though, guys.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I mentioned a few times before, I'm completely new to buying shoes that are something other than 1) sneakers, or 2) shoes/boots that don't need to be cared for. I have a few questions regarding taking care of my shoes that I could use a little bit of help on, if one or two of you would be so kind. :)

From what I understand, the process of conditioning my shoes goes more or less like this:

1) Wipe dust, dirt, etc. off shoes
2) Apply polish to shoes with a brush, cloth, or even old t-shirt
3) Work polish into shoes
4) Wait for shoe to dry
5) Wipe off any excess polish
6) Brush shoes with horsehair brush (?)

Where exactly in this process do I go about applying mink oil to my Pitt Boots? My goal isn't to make my boots especially shiny or anything, although if it helps to condition my boots and to keep them in better condition for as long as possible, I'm all for it. Mainly, though, I just want to waterproof them for the rain and snow.

What exactly is stuff like Alden's Paste Wax for?
Is there any reason why Alden's Horsehair Brush is considerably more expensive than Kiwi's?

I plan on picking up:

(1) Horsehair brush
(1) Kiwi Brown Polish (dark brown?)
(1) Shining / buffing cloth
(1) Kiwi mink oil
(1) Horsehair applicator (?)

Thanks for any help, guys, and I apologize in advance for the noobie questions. :embar:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads