• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
He is correct. They are split toe saddles. Also available in whiskey, which shows the saddle a little better.

View attachment 2176381

My Alden buying has come to a screeching halt and been almost non-existent for the past few years, only seem to be buying stuff when @JayDotz posts something I just have to have. Otherwise I don't have much on my list of shoes/boots I want to fill.

However... if a pair of these in whiskey ever showed up in my size, I'd be all over them! I have the indy toe version in color 8 from AoC, one of my favorite pairs.

IMG_6106.jpeg

tuna roll

Reaction score
Friends,

Ive just bought a pair of 9697F in size 8D and I am unsure whether to return them for a size up or not. My Brannock measurement is between 8.5-9. My 975s (Barrie last) are an 8.5D, but I feel like they are a bit too wide. My AE 65 are 8.5E and fit well. In Tricker's stow last I am between an 8-8.5UK.

I tried the 9697F in size 8.5D on at the store and there was some mild heel slippage. With the 8D there is zero slippage but my feet feels cramped, it is not unbearable but I am certainly not used to that, as all my shoes fit roomier.

Should I just risk it and keep the size 8D? Or get the 8.5D and run the risk of having to use tongue pads? Advice online is so conflicting, most people say go for the snuggest fit in loafers, but then some also say that if you even if have some heel slippage at the beginning as you break in the shoes they will go away.

As always, thank you very much for the help!
With the 8D, where exactly do you feel cramped? Suede does stretch a bit width wise, but not lengthwise. If you toes are cramped, or hitting the end of the shoe when you flex your feet, breaking in won't help much. I'd go with the 8.5D.

If they are just snug width wise or at the vamp, that should improve as they break in.

The 9697F comes with flex soles, so unlike something with a stiff sole like the 986, I imagine breaking in should improve heel slippage slightly but not dramatically.

tuna roll

Reaction score
@wolfdale BTW did you try the 986? I believe my feet are similar to yours and I found the 8E to be perfect width wise (maybe a bit too wide), but too short (cramped toes on my left foot which is longer). Need to try 8.5D.

jellyroller

Reaction score

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends,

Ive just bought a pair of 9697F in size 8D and I am unsure whether to return them for a size up or not. My Brannock measurement is between 8.5-9. My 975s (Barrie last) are an 8.5D, but I feel like they are a bit too wide. My AE 65 are 8.5E and fit well. In Tricker's stow last I am between an 8-8.5UK.

I tried the 9697F in size 8.5D on at the store and there was some mild heel slippage. With the 8D there is zero slippage but my feet feels cramped, it is not unbearable but I am certainly not used to that, as all my shoes fit roomier.

Should I just risk it and keep the size 8D? Or get the 8.5D and run the risk of having to use tongue pads? Advice online is so conflicting, most people say go for the snuggest fit in loafers, but then some also say that if you even if have some heel slippage at the beginning as you break in the shoes they will go away.

As always, thank you very much for the help!
Not saying to follow my advice since my feet/shoe sizing is all over the place, but here is my take with the Van last.

I size down a full size from Brannock (9D to 8D) and deal with the limited room in the toe box. I have flat feet and a low instep, so heel slip is my main concern. I've been told that suede stretches/gives over time and that heel slippage also is less of an issue over time. I also use a split-toe shoe tree to stretch out the toe box as much as possible between wears and I find that has helped a lot with the width.

Loafers are usually worn sockless, so as long as I keep my toenails in check, there isn't much issue with sizing down. On the few occasions I do wear socks, they're thin dress socks (just like I wear in my shoes which I will size down in width from my boot size: 8.5D to 8.5C in Barrie). Everyone's foot/fit is different, so I would encourage you to try other sizes to see what works best for your feet. Not saying to return the 8D, but maybe try reaching out to a an Alden dealer and see if you can try a different size. May be pleasantly surprised on the fit of the 8.5D or even see if they have C widths or E widths (8E). Loafers are tricky, so best of luck and enjoy the journey! Once your size is dialed in, it'll be a pleasure wearing your loafers!

tuna roll

Reaction score
Not saying to follow my advice since my feet/shoe sizing is all over the place, but here is my take with the Van last.

I size down a full size from Brannock (9D to 8D) and deal with the limited room in the toe box. I have flat feet and a low instep, so heel slip is my main concern. I've been told that suede stretches/gives over time and that heel slippage also is less of an issue over time. I also use a split-toe shoe tree to stretch out the toe box as much as possible between wears and I find that has helped a lot with the width.

Loafers are usually worn sockless, so as long as I keep my toenails in check, there isn't much issue with sizing down. On the few occasions I do wear socks, they're thin dress socks (just like I wear in my shoes which I will size down in width from my boot size: 8.5D to 8.5C in Barrie). Everyone's foot/fit is different, so I would encourage you to try other sizes to see what works best for your feet. Not saying to return the 8D, but maybe try reaching out to a an Alden dealer and see if you can try a different size. May be pleasantly surprised on the fit of the 8.5D or even see if they have C widths or E widths (8E). Loafers are tricky, so best of luck and enjoy the journey! Once your size is dialed in, it'll be a pleasure wearing your loafers!
Interesting, apparently we have similar feet but take opposite approaches to loafer sizing.

I’m a 9D (between D and E) Brannock as well and 8D or 8E in the Van last gives me zero heel slippage and an almost perfect fit, except the toes in my left foot feel a bit cramped.

Personally I absolutely hate the feeling of cramped toes, or toes hitting the toe box when I flex my feet. So I size up to 8.5D and deal with some degree of heel slippage.

Now I’m looking for some loafers with narrower heels to solve that… the heels on my LHS feel huge even though I’m between D and E in the joints, due to my narrow heels. JM Weston 180s feel a bit better but still wider than ideal. I love the heels on the Modified Last but they don’t do loafers…

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning gents. To piggy back off the loafer discussion, I recently purchased a pair of Crockett and Jones Boston loafer but the left shoe has major heel slip. I had to use a tongue pad with slightly thicker than dress socks and it is okay. My question is, are the Alden LHS slimmer in the heel or bigger?

I can't size down as it would be too cramped

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@wolfdale BTW did you try the 986? I believe my feet are similar to yours and I found the 8E to be perfect width wise (maybe a bit too wide), but too short (cramped toes on my left foot which is longer). Need to try 8.5D.
I didn't. I ended up going with the 8.5D for the 9697F and just sucking it up. I've added tongue pads and will live with the minor heel slippage. Just thought it was safer than to hope for the 8D shoes to stretch.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Defying social convention and staggering peer pressure, 6 eyelet chukkas on a WTW.

IMG_0281.jpg

CLH03

Reaction score
I read it was Cf Stead. Should a suede treated with ‘Scotch Guard’ in the tannage not just be worn without additional protection?
I don’t put extra stuff on mine and wear my suede pretty hard by most standards. I haven’t had issues and have been caught in the rains couple of times, with no staining or anything.

However, it probably couldn’t hurt if you’re worried about it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Washamhelens