• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

rakuskus

Reaction score
20240219_092626.jpg

I found 2 pairs of Alden in my storage from Uni days. Judging from the leather sole, the left pair has been worn max 3 times, and the right max 10 times.

The 972 (right pair) has to be my first and only Alden made from calf skin to this day. I always find their suede and shell to be more appealing.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite shoes that I simply don’t wear enough. Unlined splits from Adam with eyes added by Aram. Throw in some cashmere socks and it makes for one smooth ride.
image.jpg

And with a view of the city in he background. I thought it would be tough getting booted from an office and transitioning to a cube. I was wrong…….
image.jpg

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
00609B19-3086-4147-83D0-E21AAAAC1402.jpeg

This pic is for the purpose of documenting variations in coloration. The pair on the right is very old. @mdubs would know the date they were manufactured.

Old whiskey and new whiskey are very different, both are great however

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
View attachment 2135287

This pic is for the purpose of documenting variations in coloration. The pair on the right is very old. @mdubs would know the date they were manufactured.

I don’t quite remember. It was from early 2000’s. I got them off of a guy in Italy who bought them and just kept them in their box for a decade…

-Mike

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Watchman1, no words my-man. Well, maybe one……Amazing!!

In the teens on the way ITO and forecasted to touch 50 on the way home. Pittsburgh weather. OB’s are pretty versatile and today, they get the call…….

image.jpg

The shade on these is easily the most interesting of any footwear I own. Easy to match as the shade seems to change 2-3 times a day.

And of course, the money shot. Been shaking things up at work with ‘rows’ but from time to time you gotta let it catch some air and breathe…….

image.jpg

Happy Tuesday gang. Have a great day.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 2135287

IIRC, Horween was having "trouble" with whiskey a while back and this has apparently been resolved. But this may help explain some of the color differences in old and new whiskey. Meanwhile, it is a boot day again.

IMG_3682.jpg

rdaws

Reaction score
I'm interested in picking up some full strap loafers on the Aberdeen last, but I've had trouble in the past with sizing. I have a pair of suede tassel loafers in 9.5D on Aberdeen, but the heel is really loose (slippage, even after lots of break in period) and the toes, starting right along the joint, are a bit more cramped than I'd like. I wear 9.0D in the Van and it fits great; do we think getting a 9.0E in Aberdeen might solve my issue? Shorten the shoe up a bit and give my toes more room?

I'll have to buy a pair to try them on so if this is a dumb idea I'll pass.

CLH03

Reaction score
I'm interested in picking up some full strap loafers on the Aberdeen last, but I've had trouble in the past with sizing. I have a pair of suede tassel loafers in 9.5D on Aberdeen, but the heel is really loose (slippage, even after lots of break in period) and the toes, starting right along the joint, are a bit more cramped than I'd like. I wear 9.0D in the Van and it fits great; do we think getting a 9.0E in Aberdeen might solve my issue? Shorten the shoe up a bit and give my toes more room?

I would go the opposite way and try 10C. I have had very little success in trying to go down in length and up in width. The heel is going to be even wider and sloppier.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score

It's interesting as this experience is very different from mine. My 9C mocha suede Aberdeen tassels fit like a tight glove with every thin dress socks. My 8.5C Van leisure loafers were flying off my feet both in snuff suede as well as shell cordovan. Both Van loafers had to be sold.

Speaking of Aberdeen…

IMG_9711.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IIRC, Horween was having "trouble" with whiskey a while back and this has apparently been resolved. But this may help explain some of the color differences in old and new whiskey. Meanwhile, it is a boot day again.

View attachment 2135557
Every day is boot day, unless it's not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads