• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden L/S Plaza Cigarello’s for me today……..

image.jpg

More images incorrectly posted to the B/S/T thread.

Happy Friday-eve Gang. Have a great day!

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday with the Leffot "Greenwich" Wingtip boot in Tobacco Reverse Chamois. Growing up, I always thought Greenwich was pronounced "Green-Witch" but when I went to Connecticut many years back, they informed me it's pronounced "Gren-nitch".

This and the "Naval" boot are two Leffot classic make-ups that I would easily buy over and over, again. Have a Navy Nubuck "Greenwich" Wingtip Boots on pre-order and can't wait for those to arrive!
View attachment 2123129

Agreed! Leffot’s naval boots on my feet today.

IMG_9658.jpeg

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys — im still very new to this, but how can you buy alden shells other than color 8? If anyone can spill the secret.

Also, I wear 8.5E park avenues, 8.5E grant stone loafers (roomy) 8.5 in trickers stow last, any idea what size in the van last i should go with?

Thanks!!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys — im still very new to this, but how can you buy alden shells other than color 8? If anyone can spill the secret.

You have to get on 'a list' with one of the stockists...the unwritten rule is that you likely have to be a 'good' customer with a number of purchases underneath your belt. I've thrown my name on the list of Alden of Madison 3 years ago and haven't heard back yet despite 2 or 3 prior orders from them.

The Shoe Mart runs an open list that anyone can sign up for, but I've only ever been offered one type of shoe (which I've actually gotten offered 2 or 3 times). It wasn't what I'm looking for so, I've never placed an order.

I've basically thrown the towel in on getting a rare shell as I don't buy that many Aldens. If I do get a pair it'll likely be a pick up from the B/S/T thread. Rare shells get posted from time to time there and they're often not that much of a mark up from what they probably cost...you'd just need to luck out on size.

CLH03

Reaction score

Also, I wear 8.5E park avenues, 8.5E grant stone loafers (roomy) 8.5 in trickers stow last, any idea what size in the van last i should go with?

Thanks!!
Try an 8E in Van, be sure to try it on in person if possible. Very tricky to fit for some people, but you might get lucky🤷‍♂️

As far as different color shells, some retailers require you to buy color 8 or black shell cordovan from them to be put on a list, others you just have to have somewhat of a buy history, and a few (The Shoe Mart being the biggest example) will just put you on the list if you just email and ask.

CLH03

Reaction score
Very cool pair a customer brought in for restoration. I’m curious if any of you can decipher this code, and see how old they are. It looks like modified.

Attachments

• 0376682C-EB89-406F-92DC-D1F5C530BE8E.jpeg
    0376682C-EB89-406F-92DC-D1F5C530BE8E.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 144B2F4B-210D-450D-88AA-24A3A2521944.jpeg
    144B2F4B-210D-450D-88AA-24A3A2521944.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 64

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very cool pair a customer brought in for restoration. I’m curious if any of you can decipher this code, and see how old they are. It looks like modified.

The 6E indicates they were started in a year that ends in 6. E is the month, so May of 2006, 2016, etc. The insile states Alden restoration, so I believe that means they have already been worn to the point where they were returned to Alden for sole, insole, etc. That well may indicate the shoes are older, such as 1996, 1986, etc.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy shortwing Friday forum pals.

IMG_3620.jpg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more i see of reverse chamois boots the more convinced I am that I may choose that over shell for my first.
One thing to keep in mind is that some reverse chamois has really talk nap while others don't. I was slightly disappointed in my Wingtip Boots since the broguing is difficult to see cause the nap covers all the perforations and stamped pattern.

Reverse Chamois is VERY easy to take care of! I just brush it with a suede brush (nylon bristles) and that's it. Not sure anyone truly knows what the required maintenance cycle is for reverse chamois, but I always see Brett rocking his pairs in the rain, snow, and water with not a care in his mind. Recently, he took some neatsfoot oil to one of his boots, but as infrequently as I wear mine (more frequently however with this wet winter in California), I still haven't applied anything to my boots. The original oils are still present and water resistant as always.

With that said, I'm a HUGE shell cordovan fan and love how resilient it is. There are a TON of shell Alden make-ups out there currently that would make a great addition to your footwear rotation. All comes down to what hole you're looking to fill and whether there's a particular style you are wanting?

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that some reverse chamois has really talk nap while others don't. I was slightly disappointed in my Wingtip Boots since the broguing is difficult to see cause the nap covers all the perforations and stamped pattern.

Reverse Chamois is VERY easy to take care of! I just brush it with a suede brush (nylon bristles) and that's it. Not sure anyone truly knows what the required maintenance cycle is for reverse chamois, but I always see Brett rocking his pairs in the rain, snow, and water with not a care in his mind. Recently, he took some neatsfoot oil to one of his boots, but as infrequently as I wear mine (more frequently however with this wet winter in California), I still haven't applied anything to my boots. The original oils are still present and water resistant as always.

With that said, I'm a HUGE shell cordovan fan and love how resilient it is. There are a TON of shell Alden make-ups out there currently that would make a great addition to your footwear rotation. All comes down to what hole you're looking to fill and whether there's a particular style you are wanting?
Lol both? Im close to wearing down some other boots and had just assumed I would get chukkas in suede and shell in another style. Now im not so sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads