• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

kmarriner

Reaction score
IMG_1758.jpeg

Alden Madison Arabica Lux Wingtip Boots today for a day off shopping with the wife.
I love these and need to wear them more.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a trip up to San Francisco to visit Jim & Alden SF. Their website now lists their exclusive make-ups, one of which I wanted to check out in person.

Much to my surprise, there were two brand new make-ups in the window displays that Jim said would NOT be made available to people online.

The first boot in the window was this Navy Nubuck Jumper Boots on Commando. These have a 360 Flat Welt and the Indy Quarter Stitch with nickel eyelets and hooks. If I didn't already have Brogue's "Indigo Valley" blue suede jumper boots, I would've picked these up!
View attachment 2120355

The second special make-up in the opposite window display was a 405 mash-up. It has the same leather as the 405, but doesn't have the Indy quarter stitch, instead it has the heel foxing which I thought looked sharp. 270 pre-stitched reverse welt, but has the "faux 360 stitch" around the heel. All on top of a wedge sole. These boots look spectacular in person!
View attachment 2120357

On the wall was a make-up that was listed on their website and I believe had a Ravello or Cigar Shell run produced last year. It's a Color 8 Shell Medallion Cap Toe Quarter Brogue boot that is super clean!
View attachment 2120363

Finally, the reason for my visit was to check out some Black Shell Cordovan Wingtip Boots on Plaza with brass hardware. These have a 270 flat welt and are sitting on Commando soles. Fortunately for me, they had my size in stock (last one) so needless to say, they came home with me!
View attachment 2120361

During checkout, I always browse the display case and inquire about matching Shell belts. Even though I had been told countless times by just about everyone that Ravello belts were discontinued, I find it my running joke to ask. Much to my surprise, Jim smiled, pointed at a belt in the case, and says we just took delivery! Apparently, these are NOS Ravello belts that were found sitting at the factory and then redirected to Alden SF! I'll have pics later showing them in natural sunlight, but here's a quick teaser shot!
View attachment 2120365

Sweet. I have a Ravello belt from the early 2010s and it’s one of my favorites.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Cords are nice but those boots are next-level amazing. Would love some det’s, including how long you’ve owned them. Man, I would love to have a pair that display that type of character. Nicely done!
Thank you, sir!
Unfortunately I can't take full credit as I bought these second hand from another forum member with decent wear on them, probably back in 2016 or 2017. They were my first Aldens and first shell.

I haven't been able to find much about this model (#445080), but they seem to fit more TTS than my grant or barrie lasted boots. The seller had indicated Lleydon but I don't know that any boots had ever been made on that last. Unfortunately that's all I know!

Edit: I went back to check and turns out I bought these in 2018. That slope was more slippery (slipperier?) than I recalled!

Last edited:

Youx33

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I know that sizing posts are quite redundant and that the best way to be sure is by trying but lets go :

Im 6.0D in weston 180
6.0E in crockett grantham

what size would you choose for alden van lasts ? (987 or 6243f)

JohnTeh

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm glad to finally be able to join the Alden cordovan boot club.

I managed to snag a pair locally, in very good shape. Quite a deal, considering Alden cordovan boots are not available locally where I'm from.

However, I would like to ask, does my Alden boots come with blind eyelets? I'm considering to install eyelets if they don't already have it. Pictures attached
1000004953.jpg
1000004955.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm glad to finally be able to join the Alden cordovan boot club.

I managed to snag a pair locally, in very good shape. Quite a deal, considering Alden cordovan boots are not available locally where I'm from.

However, I would like to ask, does my Alden boots come with blind eyelets? I'm considering to install eyelets if they don't already have it. Pictures attached View attachment 2120575 View attachment 2120577

Alden does so many things right that I hesitate to criticize them but there seems to be a few things, mostly not visible to the naked eye, that they pinch pennies on, this being one of them. I love the style of boots you have. Blind eyes and hooks are not often seen. But most high-end manufacturers recognize the convenience of having eyelets installed even when they are only internal. I believe Alden does as well but sadly they choose not to use them.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a trip up to San Francisco to visit Jim & Alden SF. Their website now lists their exclusive make-ups, one of which I wanted to check out in person.

Much to my surprise, there were two brand new make-ups in the window displays that Jim said would NOT be made available to people online.

The first boot in the window was this Navy Nubuck Jumper Boots on Commando. These have a 360 Flat Welt and the Indy Quarter Stitch with nickel eyelets and hooks. If I didn't already have Brogue's "Indigo Valley" blue suede jumper boots, I would've picked these up!
View attachment 2120355

The second special make-up in the opposite window display was a 405 mash-up. It has the same leather as the 405, but doesn't have the Indy quarter stitch, instead it has the heel foxing which I thought looked sharp. 270 pre-stitched reverse welt, but has the "faux 360 stitch" around the heel. All on top of a wedge sole. These boots look spectacular in person!
View attachment 2120357

On the wall was a make-up that was listed on their website and I believe had a Ravello or Cigar Shell run produced last year. It's a Color 8 Shell Medallion Cap Toe Quarter Brogue boot that is super clean!
View attachment 2120363

Finally, the reason for my visit was to check out some Black Shell Cordovan Wingtip Boots on Plaza with brass hardware. These have a 270 flat welt and are sitting on Commando soles. Fortunately for me, they had my size in stock (last one) so needless to say, they came home with me!
View attachment 2120361

During checkout, I always browse the display case and inquire about matching Shell belts. Even though I had been told countless times by just about everyone that Ravello belts were discontinued, I find it my running joke to ask. Much to my surprise, Jim smiled, pointed at a belt in the case, and says we just took delivery! Apparently, these are NOS Ravello belts that were found sitting at the factory and then redirected to Alden SF! I'll have pics later showing them in natural sunlight, but here's a quick teaser shot!
View attachment 2120365
Great pix ! Thanks for sharing

JohnTeh

Reaction score
Alden does so many things right that I hesitate to criticize them but there seems to be a few things, mostly not visible to the naked eye, that they pinch pennies on, this being one of them. I love the style of boots you have. Blind eyes and hooks are not often seen. But most high-end manufacturers recognize the convenience of having eyelets installed even when they are only internal. I believe Alden does as well but sadly they choose not to use them.
Ah shucks, I was hoping they already had blind eyelets installed. Guess I'll have to go find a good cobbler now

On another note, how do I tell if there are blind eyelets installed?

CLH03

Reaction score
Ah shucks, I was hoping they already had blind eyelets installed. Guess I'll have to go find a good cobbler now

You would see the back side of the eyelet. You wouldn’t miss it.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree. Alden intentionally does not use eyelets (internal or backing-only) for shell unless an exposed eyelet is specified. It is a feature, not a bug, and certainly not done to pinch pennies. My understanding of why they do this is is because even internal blind eyelets would leave a visible “bump” underneath the shell, and shell is strong enough not to suffer ill effects from not having the eyelet. Just look a couple posts up at those very worn color 8 wingtips with blind eyelets — they look great. My old cigar wingtips with 9 blind eyelets have held up just as well, if not better, than my eyelet-d boots. To each his own.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why do you think you need blind eyelets? Is this another one of those things that people do because “the internet” says it’s better (e.g., converting 270 welted boots to a 360 welt) but is in reality just a waste of money? Enjoy the boots, they’ll be fine.

Now, if you want visible/exposed eyelets because you don’t like the look of blind/no eyelets, I can understand that conversion — aesthetically I don’t particularly like hooks + blind/no eyelets, but that’s purely subjective.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Alden intentionally does not use eyelets (internal or backing-only) for shell unless an exposed eyelet is specified. It is a feature, not a bug, and certainly not done to pinch pennies. My understanding of why they do this is is because even internal blind eyelets would leave a visible “bump” underneath the shell, and shell is strong enough not to suffer ill effects from not having the eyelet. Just look a couple posts up at those very worn color 8 wingtips with blind eyelets — they look great. My old cigar wingtips with 9 blind eyelets have held up just as well, if not better, than my eyelet-d boots. To each his own.

Ha, certainly, to each his own. Me not having insight into either Alden’s manufacturing or financial planning processes does not give me insight into their reasons, but my hunch is that the overwhelming of people who are not Alden loyalists and have laced up boots/shoes with blind eyelets will prefer the convenience over those without. Over time, the leather seems to shift ever-so-slightly but just enough to make it a little bit of a hassle. Listen, this is not a big deal and seemed fairly uncontroversial. I’m typing this and I can hear my mother’s voice in my head saying ‘baby, hell, even Ray Charles’ can see the added convenience of blind eyes v none. But like you say, to each his own…….

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads