• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My most recent buy, and maybe my favorite this year? Leffot 15th anniversary color 8 loafers - on crepe! I wasn’t sure how they would turn out, but the loafer has a bit of a higher vamp than the classic LHS, making it fit much better IMO. The crepe makes pounding the pavement in Midtown Manhattan pretty comfortable. This is a casual shoe, but still looks much better than most casual shoes I am seeing guys wear with their suits and blazers these days - I will wear these with sports coats, and casual khaki/jean outfits.
IMG_1708.jpeg

IMG_1704.jpeg

It’s also interesting that I am liking models in color 8 and black much more these days than rare cordovan (the new models I have this year I like/wear the most include this one, a color 8 wingtip boot and a black chukka boot) . I also like whiskey but I am finding many of the “mid” colors a bit hard to match with clothing these days.

CLH03

Reaction score
My most recent buy, and maybe my favorite this year? Leffot 15th anniversary color 8 loafers - on crepe! I wasn’t sure how they would turn out, but the loafer has a bit of a higher vamp than the classic LHS, making it fit much better IMO. The crepe makes pounding the pavement in Midtown Manhattan pretty comfortable. This is a casual shoe, but still looks much better than most casual shoes I am seeing guys wear with their suits and blazers these days - I will wear these with sports coats, and casual khaki/jean outfits.
View attachment 2095871

View attachment 2095873

It’s also interesting that I am liking models in color 8 and black much more these days than rare cordovan (the new models I have this year I like/wear the most include this one, a color 8 wingtip boot and a black chukka boot) . I also like whiskey but I am finding many of the “mid” colors a bit hard to match with clothing these days.
Nice! I was pretty curious to see how these would turn out. That’s a neat makeup!

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2095871

View attachment 2095873

I love theses. How does the toe box feel compared to the normal fitting van? Leffot mentions a more shallow toe box in their description.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking some plain janes for a spin. Love those rolls. View attachment 2095799

Man, that is some amazing color on those. Nice pairing as well.

Lovely shoes and very nice trousers too!

Always appreciate the words my-man. Thanks!

Happy Thursday forum pals. Off to lunch and see granddaughters again. No better reason to break out some Ravello LWBs.

View attachment 2095807

Good grief Doc...........

View attachment 2095871

View attachment 2095873

These are really nice. I too was wondering how they'd turn out. I used to love crepe and then for whatever reason, they fell off my radar. I do have some incoming on crepe in a similar style and its nice to see yours and see how good they look.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solid advice from @scurvyfreedman and it certainly works. What I’ve found to work best for me with the Lasts he mentions is to stay the same size but go to ‘E’ width. Have to be more patient, but long term fit is better for me.

Today’s outfit screams for some Black Alden Shell. So of course, OB gets the call. Just something a little different. Indoor/outdoor.

View attachment 2095761

View attachment 2095741

And of course…….

View attachment 2095743

Happy Friday-eve Gang. Have a great day!
Came back to look at these - amazing. Deets on the shoes, please?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love theses. How does the toe box feel compared to the normal fitting van? Leffot mentions a more shallow toe box in their description.

It comes up higher on the foot (and this fits securely), but at the same time feels a bit roomier than the Van - maybe due to the “shallower” toe box. I was wondering if should order 10EE or 9.5EE in this one, very glad I went 9.5EE

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely @ppk First, again, thanks. These are your basic Barrie-lasted perf cap toe design with a flat welt. What makes them different (and special to me) is the shade, which Alden/Horween refers to as Old Bronze (OB). I don’t know the history but apparently it was an older batch of dye that they found in the basement somewhere. Supposedly they display different colors/characteristics depending on lighting but to my eye, they’re a really sweet shade of green. Got mine from Alden of Madison but I’m pretty sure other retailers made them available as well. There are some experts on this site who can either add to or correct my description.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely @ppk First, again, thanks. These are your basic Barrie-lasted perf cap toe design with a flat welt. What makes them different (and special to me) is the shade, which Alden/Horween refers to as Old Bronze (OB). I don’t know the history but apparently it was an older batch of dye that they found in the basement somewhere. Supposedly they display different colors/characteristics depending on lighting but to my eye, they’re a really sweet shade of green. Got mine from Alden of Madison but I’m pretty sure other retailers made them available as well. There are some experts on this site who can either add to or correct my description.
I love the shade!

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2095871

View attachment 2095873

Lovely coat, too :)

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2095871

View attachment 2095873

Color 8 is a classic color! Very versatile and IMO can be dressed up and down depending on the occasion and what you wear with them. Since I have so many Color 8 and Burgundy (AE) shell shoes/boots, a lot of my wardrobe is curated to go with them.

Maybe I'm weird like that, but I pick my clothes to go with my shoes as opposed to picking my shoes to go with my clothes. Probably because my shirts and pants are super inexpensive when compared to my shoes.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads