• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dme2406

Reaction score
Hey fellas does anyone know a retailer that sells a brown suede wingtip? With a leather or rubber sole no wedges or crepe. Not interested in boots.

Honestly, don’t care if it’s closed or open lacing, or if it’s a LWB. Just care about dark brown suede and wingtip.
Can you wear the modified last?
1700326502537.jpeg

Weldy

Reaction score
Greetings all. Hope everyone is well. Long time lurker. @CLH03 forced me to create an account and told me today was the day.. @Hisheirness23 you also influenced me, hope all is well sir. I have a few things to share…

Trunk show at Zahner’s was great today. Zahner’s new Indy is great and looks awesome in person. Featuring new Alden laces too which look awesome. Small U which is great to see. If you need a new Indy this should be on your list.

IMG_3528.jpeg

Second is a grail pair I was able to acquire a few weeks ago… C4 plaintoe, TB. Maiden voyage should hopefully be soon. Will keep this community posted.

Cheers all!

IMG_3533.jpeg
IMG_3538.jpeg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings all. Hope everyone is well. Long time lurker. @CLH03 forced me to create an account and told me today was the day.. @Hisheirness23 you also influenced me, hope all is well sir. I have a few things to share…

Trunk show at Zahner’s was great today. Zahner’s new Indy is great and looks awesome in person. Featuring new Alden laces too which look awesome. Small U which is great to see. If you need a new Indy this should be on your list.

View attachment 2072683

Second is a grail pair I was able to acquire a few weeks ago… C4 plaintoe, TB. Maiden voyage should hopefully be soon. Will keep this community posted.

Cheers all!

View attachment 2072703 View attachment 2072701
Welcome to the Alden Army!!! Glad to hear we were able to have a lasting impression on you and your Alden journey! Hell of a first post with those stunning Color 4 Plain Toe Boots! I'm still in search of my first Color 4 Aldens. Wear them in good health #wearyourrares!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 2072683

Cheers all!

View attachment 2072703 View attachment 2072701
Welcome to the group! Great start you have there.

G Rex

Reaction score
What measure of success do you think Alden could achieve if they re-dye these shell Full Straps during restoration, so that they better match each other? Not looking for perfection, just a better match.

These have been freshly and gently Renomat-ed, Renovateur-ed, and polished with Saphir MDO Cordovan Creme, in Saphir's Color 8/Burgundy color. Also, a good deer bone session put the uppers in incredible shape. The before/after difference is nothing short of astounding.

Photo 1: indoor, indirect sunlight, 9:00 AM
Photo 2: outdoor, direct sunlight, 9:00 AM

I bought these Color 8 shell Full Straps new from the D.C. store in '17. They have had plenty of wear, 1-3x/week depending on how often I'm in court, and are due for new cork, soles, and heels.

While the color difference is immediately noticeable, it's slightly less drastic than the photographs display. There's still some red/burgundy in the left shoe, but depending on lighting conditions, the left shoe can look almost black.

I've seen one post circa 2010 about someone whose shell Aldens aged and colored unevenly - he explained not only that this phenomenon is not unusual with shell, but also that Alden re-dyed his pair to better match each other. Unfortunately, only the "before" picture was available.

IMG_4B515A6BB1E4-1.jpeg
IMG_11FAC9988361-1.jpeg

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Dear all,
A question, if i may. I have a pair of M8801Cs, a Frans Boone collab snuff suede jumper boot, without speedhooks. I have a few (non-Alden) boots with speedhooks and always found them a bit of a faff to put on (though they're meant to be easier..), so was looking forward to having these without them. But it turns out they are honestly the hardest boots i have ever had to put on! They fit me very well once on (9D in Barrie, perhaps a little wide if anything) but i have to yank the uppers so hard to open the boot up enough to slide my foot in i feel i'm going to damage them...there seems a huge amount of tension from the laces which makes it really tough work to open out, so even with a shoe horn i have to contort my foot left and right and then usually flatten the counter and have to pull them up over my heel while finally sliding my foot in. It's times like this i miss heel pulls, ugly though they are.
Likewise, when taking them off, i feel i'm risking damaging the welt as i have to pull so hard at the heel to pull them off.
I don't want to nitpick, but it doesn't make for an enjoyable experience with what is otherwise a great boot. It makes me less inclined to wear them as it's just so much easier to pull on something else instead, which is such a shame.
Is there a way around this, or a trick i'm missing...?
Thank you all.

1700414921959.png

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What measure of success do you think Alden could achieve if they re-dye these shell Full Straps during restoration, so that they better match each other? Not looking for perfection, just a better match.

These have been freshly and gently Renomat-ed, Renovateur-ed, and polished with Saphir MDO Cordovan Creme, in Saphir's Color 8/Burgundy color. Also, a good deer bone session put the uppers in incredible shape. The before/after difference is nothing short of astounding.

Photo 1: indoor, indirect sunlight, 9:00 AM
Photo 2: outdoor, direct sunlight, 9:00 AM

I bought these Color 8 shell Full Straps new from the D.C. store in '17. They have had plenty of wear, 1-3x/week depending on how often I'm in court, and are due for new cork, soles, and heels.

While the color difference is immediately noticeable, it's slightly less drastic than the photographs display. There's still some red/burgundy in the left shoe, but depending on lighting conditions, the left shoe can look almost black.

I've seen one post circa 2010 about someone whose shell Aldens aged and colored unevenly - he explained not only that this phenomenon is not unusual with shell, but also that Alden re-dyed his pair to better match each other. Unfortunately, only the "before" picture was available.

View attachment 2073019 View attachment 2073021
Going very dark is how the color will even out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads