• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Alden X J.CREW

alden1.jpg

alden2.jpg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The price increases just keep coming... but they can keep raising prices as far as I am concerned, I am ALL IN and there's NO LIMIT. Can I actually afford the higher prices? Not really, but you know... it's better to burn out than fade away!! Hit me up with some #8 all-weather-walkers, or some reverse chamois scotch grain captoe bluchers, I've got the money right here!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The price increases just keep coming... but they can keep raising prices as far as I am concerned, I am ALL IN and there's NO LIMIT. Can I actually afford the higher prices? Not really, but you know... it's better to burn out than fade away!! Hit me up with some #8 all-weather-walkers, or some reverse chamois scotch grain captoe bluchers, I've got the money right here!
In my case, it's not that I don't have the money, but am on a fixed (semi) retirement income and can't justify, even to myself, paying nearly 1K for shell Aldens....Just does not compute in my brain, so I'm out, except perhaps for the TSM seconds and the secondary market for the future.

Treble

Reaction score
So I was thinking of picking up a pair of plain toe boots with the commando / leather sole but that video from Rose Anvil (it was discussed on the 2022 thread around Nov 25, but please let's not go over the video again) really has me doubting.

What are peoples experience of wear on the commando sole? I'm thinking of these as a smarter option suitable for rain, no crepe available in stock locally to me.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking of picking up a pair of plain toe boots with the commando / leather sole but that video from Rose Anvil (it was discussed on the 2022 thread around Nov 25, but please let's not go over the video again) really has me doubting.

What are peoples experience of wear on the commando sole? I'm thinking of these as a smarter option suitable for rain, no crepe available in stock locally to me.

I love Alden's commando and think it is the smartest option of all the rubber soles. I have seen pic's where the rubber was wearing away but that has never happened to me. Not once, and I have quite a few.

In my opinion, Alden has given us plenty of ammunition for complaints recently. Their commando sole is not one of them.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like commando soles ,have had Zero problems with them, Zero.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Alden's commando and think it is the smartest option of all the rubber soles. I have seen pic's where the rubber was wearing away but that has never happened to me. Not once, and I have quite a few.

In my opinion, Alden has given us plenty of ammunition for complaints recently. Their commando sole is not one of them.
Shawn, I agree 100% with this assessment.

DG123

Reaction score

The Alden's I've worn in the rain are the model 947 Weather Walker (crepe rubber sole) and model 404 Kudu Indy Boot (full rubber sole with lugs).

SonnyTheElder

Reaction score

I have a pair of boots on the commando sole and the front stitching has worn down to where the rubber sole is just barely starting to separate, which may be a consideration if you tend to wear the toes of your shoes down quickly. As it's a shell makeup, I haven't worn them in the rain much so I can't attest to how they'd hold up in that situation. Apart from being slightly annoying given the fairly-light use, no major issues so far.

The Alden's I've worn in the rain are the model 947 Weather Walker (crepe rubber sole) and model 404 Kudu Indy Boot (full rubber sole with lugs).

I also have a pair with the lug sole with which I haven't had any problems in rainy weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members