• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to be impacting shell boots the most, right? Anyone feel free to chime in if it is happening on their other leathers.

it happened to me once, with a pair of (calfskin) AE Eagle Counties. It was an easy fix, they just replaced the speed hooks.

my guess is that it is caused by either a bad batch of speed hooks, or an unskilled installer. On the pair of boots with defective speed hooks that I had, several hooks popped off at once, after just a few wears. I was tightening my laces and… pop pop pop!… several speed hooks went flying across the room. But I sent them back to AE and they replaced the hooks. After that, no problems.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it happened to me once, with a pair of (calfskin) AE Eagle Counties. It was an easy fix, they just replaced the speed hooks.

my guess is that it is caused by either a bad batch of speed hooks, or an unskilled installer. On the pair of boots with defective speed hooks that I had, several hooks popped off at once, after just a few wears. I was tightening my laces and… pop pop pop!… several speed hooks went flying across the room. But I sent them back to AE and they replaced the hooks. After that, no problems.
Seems though that the solution from Alden is to junk the boots and issue a refund. So if you want to keep the boots best to go the 3rd party route

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe @sazon had an issue with his snuff Dade boots recently.
Correct. And the black shell Indy from Brogue.

In retrospect, I should have never accepted the Dade boots. 75% of the hooks were so bad that you could see a lot of the stems when lacing them up.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see those on his store, I will have to inquire some about this, to my knowledge, the policy change came relatively shortly after the guy who did the staining retired and was eventually replaced. The new person may have just had to acquire the delicate touch necessary to prevent them from having to hand clean each eyelet, slowing down his throughput. Maybe he has gotten there! Would be really nice if that was the case, as the #8 on Brass can be a lovely combination.

DapperDan, those Indy Boots are looking just superb and I love the flecks in those trousers!

Shawn, the Dr. Jones are one of the finest models that Alden makes and I am glad that you got those beauties back! Exceptional looking model and you wear them well!

Pepper, it has been quite a while, but you are looking great in your heavy duty snow shoes and your eloquent Snuff WT Boots! Nice to see you hear and nice to see you still playing!

Savvy, those are just three next level models and three next level pairings! Awesome work man and hope that you and your recent kid are doing well!

Rocking that snow there Au with those killer MCT Boots! A great showing!

Very cool and Tan CC was a really interesting material! I have a pair of LWBs in it.

VG, those are looking great, looks like someone may beat you to the try on!

AuDog, you are looking great in your Chamois and in your well loved Trousers! Hope that you kept warm!!!

Serb, those Plaza WT Boots are looking just superb on you today! Such a lovely and eloquent shoe!

Black Shell is awesome and really under appreciated. They will pair nice with a slew of different outfits. That said, you gotta wear them, else they are just taking up space.

t0ronto, a really nicely balanced collection that you have going on there between materials, styles, and shapes. Looking great and hope that you enjoy your collection in good health!

Looking great Au, yeah, Shell and CXL are different beasts and have their different ways of luring you in. Those look nice with a soft patina forming on them!

Joihnnie, looking great there in your all weather walkers! A classic Alden for sure!

Joe, those are just exquisite and glad that you got to pull them out! Funny how we got you to bust them out early! :-D

TC, killing it in those amazing Black Shell Tankers. Looking great and you are wearing them well!

You and me both Doc! Those are a great sample of the classic Alden LWB! Nicely done there!

Looking great in those lovely boots! I hope that you are enjoying them!!!

-Mike

Thanks, Mike! It's been a fun ride with my daughter. She is a really good baby... I feel we've been spoiled!

Really like the plain toe boots with the Denim, well done.

Those boots are really versatile... My first pair of Alden shell boots, I believe. Really a nice canvas to age shell. They've lightened significantly and I can see some staining beneath the color 8 dye; I guess that's the nature of darker shell versus the lighter whiskey and cigar.

Olof69

Reaction score
These Ravello 2x2 boots survived travels through the winter snowpocalypse last week but unfortunately couldn’t survive the great speed hook debacle of 2021. I’m not sure I trust anyone locally so likely send off to Bedos, Aram, or Wyatt & Dad to repair. I don’t want to risk losing a pair with a return to Alden.

View attachment 1751743
View attachment 1751746

View attachment 1751744
View attachment 1751745
Sorry for hijacking the thread, does anybody know if Aram can reinforce facings with a nylon strip or something like that? I know Steve does it but looks like he's overloaded at the moment. I have a pair of shell boots with eyelets floating in their holes with no grip at all and stretching them under load, not sure simply swapping eyelets would be a proper fix.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking the thread, does anybody know if Aram can reinforce facings with a nylon strip or something like that? I know Steve does it but looks like he's overloaded at the moment. I have a pair of shell boots with eyelets floating in their holes with no grip at all and stretching them under load, not sure simply swapping eyelets would be a proper fix.

I don’t know that I would consider this hijacking the thread. While I can’t truly visualize what you need, I have yet to encounter a repair that Aram can’t handle. I would reach out to him directly.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
No current contribution for me today but in responding to @jjschube on the Harrison splits, I came across a photo that illustrates how much I appreciate Alden's (mostly) execution of the NST design. Just as close to perfect as they come......

View attachment 1751695

Some love Wings, I love Splits. And while the middle one's get the most love on this forum, it's the 2 C8's that I personally consider the most special. The flat welt Barrie is so versatile and gets worn regardless of outfit and the antique is the unlined verson from AoC (with eyes added) and they are so comfortable and a perfect match with denim.

Happy Hump Day Gents.......

Shawn, those Splits are all looking just terrific! A great family and agree that it is an amazing design!!

James, those NST Monks are looking just superb on you today! A great model and you wear them well!

Still one of my all time favs — Indy 8s.

Those #8 Indy Boots are just superb! Definitely a great looking Indy!

These Ravello 2x2 boots survived travels through the winter snowpocalypse last week but unfortunately couldn’t survive the great speed hook debacle of 2021. I’m not sure I trust anyone locally so likely send off to Bedos, Aram, or Wyatt & Dad to repair. I don’t want to risk losing a pair with a return to Alden.

View attachment 1751743
View attachment 1751746

View attachment 1751744
View attachment 1751745

Congratulations on getting the Ravello 2x2's, but bummer to see those Happy Hooks being off for you!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I don’t know that I would consider this hijacking the thread. While I can’t truly visualize what you need, I have yet to encounter a repair that Aram can’t handle. I would reach out to him directly.

Yes, zero worries! That is what we are here for! I would ask Aram, he is exceptionally capable and may have another way to do it to get the same outcome but possibly more eloquently.

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Wednesday. Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan PTBs.

Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan PTBs - 2022-02-09 - 1.jpg

Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan PTBs - 2022-02-09 - 2.jpg

Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan PTBs - 2022-02-09 - 3.jpg

-Mike

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct. And the black shell Indy from Brogue.

In retrospect, I should have never accepted the Dade boots. 75% of the hooks were so bad that you could see a lot of the stems when lacing them up.
I still haven't worn my dades. I fear you may be right...

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if these boots are fixable. Sadly, 75% of the speed hooks are extremely loose. I shouldn't have accepted them upon delivery to be honest.

Fix or replace, I know Alden will do the right thing.
So, what is the status at present? Have you sent them back?

GGMac

Reaction score

My boots will be heading to Aram soon. He said he opens the lining from the inside of the boot, re-presses the hooks, reinforces with a glued on leather strip, and restitches the leather lining.

I’m sure he’d do the same for the eyelet issue.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what is the status at present? Have you sent them back?
Yes, they went back home yesterday. They're probably sitting in the "Bad Speed Hook" pile in the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics