• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the Alden/Cape Cod Collection (with horse bit) makeups have metal shanks in them like the full line of shoes?

I know they were a Rancourt special, so I am curious if the shanks are included as well.

Thanks!

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am very new to Alden shoes and very interested to place an order of a loafer with a local store.

1. I am wondering is the construction and leather quality of Alden comparable to Edward Green?
2. is anyone able to recommend me some iconic or classic loafer from Alden?
3. Is there any strong opinion which material to pickup? Cordovan? Calf? Suede?
4. Where do you all normally order your Alden shoes online? I think after knowing my true size i would be able to purchase online in the future.

Previously I had placed an order for an Edward Green suede unlined loafer but after the second wear, the suede expanded resulting in several heel slips for me. I have since given up on ordering loafers online as the fitting need to be very precise unlike derby or oxford which have laces to tighten or loosen the fit.

Edward Green shoes are rather different than Aldens. They don’t really suit my style or my budget, but they are a bit nicer than Aldens. Even the first quality Aldens can come with sloppy construction or slight imperfections. This is another reason besides getting the right fit to shop in person.

As for THE Alden loafer, that’s the Leisure Hand Sewn. At least in my opinion. I like it in shell and Chromexcel. I would think that the shell would be least likely to stretch, so if that’s a concern, go with the shell.

If you know your size everything is easier. You can buy from private sellers right here, eBay, Grailed, the usual Alden retailers... Note that US retailers will not ship Aldens outside the USA.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am very new to Alden shoes and very interested to place an order of a loafer with a local store.

1. I am wondering is the construction and leather quality of Alden comparable to Edward Green?
4. Where do you all normally order your Alden shoes online? I think after knowing my true size i would be able to purchase online in the future.

Previously I had placed an order for an Edward Green suede unlined loafer but after the second wear, the suede expanded resulting in several heel slips for me. I have since given up on ordering loafers online as the fitting need to be very precise unlike derby or oxford which have laces to tighten or loosen the fit.

I only have one pair of EG, compared to seven pairs of Alden, so I don't have the same experience with EG, but I can give you my options on both makers. I also have two pairs of C&J (one handgrade, one benchgrade) and six pairs of Alfred Sargent, so I am familiar with the next tier down in terms of Westhampton shoemakers as well.

1. EG cuts their welt and sole much closer to the vamp than does Alden. The calf is finer on EG as well, or perhaps, just better finished. The burnishing or however else they finish the leather makes it look nicer. You may be able to achieve this level of finishing yourself with some skill. EG has a closed channel sole, which looks nicer and displays some extra craft. They also have nicer waists. The QC is better too. No crooked stitches, etc. For these reason, I think EG's dress shoes are more than a step ahead of Alden's dress shoes. I find the quality of the suede equivalent. Both have a nice nap and are easily brushed to look flawless again. For boots, I prefer Alden, because all of those issues don't matter with a more rugged double leather, rubber, or composite sole. Aldens boots feel the right amount of rugged, which is what boots are for.

2. Alden has a lot of classics and a lot of unique models. I love their boots and have four pairs, three Indy based boots. There's nothing more classic than Alden's Indy.

3. I like Alden's variety of shell cordovan, but nothing can go wrong with color #8.

4. I have the Alden DC shop near my office, so I buy in person.

Good luck

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Do the Alden/Cape Cod Collection (with horse bit) makeups have metal shanks in them like the full line of shoes?

I know they were a Rancourt special, so I am curious if the shanks are included as well.

Thanks!

I do not believe so, but I am actually not completely sure. Actually, they were most recently made by Highland Shoe Company in Maine. The Cape Cod Collection was cancelled when Highland closed a few years back. According to some historical references, the Cape Cod collection had been produced by Rancourt at one point in time. I personally was trying to re-connect the two companies, but haven't really thought of a great way to do it. It would be totally rad to have some Shell Cordovan Alden Cape Cods, but until then, I have been enjoying both my Aldens and Rancourts.

-Mike

Last edited:

Biogentic

Reaction score
thanks for everyone feedback, the reason why i was hesitating initially was because the Alden shell loafer cost slightly more than the Edward Green Calf Penny Loafer. Don't have a choice, would rather overpay then getting another not fitting pair of loafer. Cigar shell or Colour #8 is more versatile? Both look quite nice to me

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
-6° but at least the sun is shining. Happy Sunday gents!
View attachment 1555435

AldenShoeMan, those Natural CXL Tankers are looking just great on you! Those are just a fantastic model and you wore them well!

Joel, those Cigar LWBs are looking great on you! The Mahogany Edges with Cigar is highly under rated and those are a great example as to why! Enjoy them in good health!

A few days ago. Terranova Boot x Brogue.
View attachment 1555523

Saz, those Terra Nova Boots were looking great on you and read to take any damage that you throw their way!

I got my wife some good chocolate and a vaccine appointment for Valentine’s day. We drove out to Coney Island for the shot. I wore my Indy boots because driving in size 13 Vibergs is pretty much impossible. I walked around on the beach while waiting for her to finish. View attachment 1555648

Barutanseijin, those Indy Boots are looking absolutely superb on you and you have a great combo on for tackling the snow! Enjoy!

Still wearing Ealdwine "Mayors choice" Wingtip boot, very rarely do I keep a pair on my feet all day, you guys know that, these are about the best boots I own. View attachment 1555663

AuDog, those Boots are looking great on you! Glad that you are enjoying them, they are a nice combination of comfort, style, and ruggedness. Enjoy them!

Natty CXL Indys...love the striping on the quarters and the overall light colour of the leather.
View attachment 1555702 View attachment 1555703

Shahtirthak, those Natural CXL Indy Boots are looking just off the hook.I am loving those and they look great with those high contrast laces that match the stitching on the apron.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
View attachment 1555852

Hi, any of you have any idea how can I remove a stain like this on my calfskin LWB? It's a pair of 97879.

Pollo, I am sorry to see that. I am not the Calfskin expert, but I would imagine that some nice brown polish could be used to even out the color on those.

It's a pre-ice storm Monday morning. The pantry is stocked, no where to be and a generator that will automatically start if the power goes out. Sounds like a great day to work indoors and wear some V tips.

View attachment 1555863

Doc, those Color #8 Algonquins are looking just superb on you. Glad that you are prepared for the ice storm. Please be careful and safe.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Monday. Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan Chukka.

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan Chukka Boots - 2021-02-15 - 1.jpg

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan Chukka Boots - 2021-02-15 - 4.jpg

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan Chukka Boots - 2021-02-15 - 6.jpg

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Biogentic, I candidly have a little trouble comparing the two companies, largely due to the large price point differential between the two ($800 for a Shell Alden, $2400 for a Shell Edward Green). I have probably something on the order of 8 Edward Greens and a healthy number of Aldens. The attention to detail on my Edward Greens is superb, however, they are not completely flawless. I have done a post on Alden of San Diego comparing some various Whiskey-ish Shell Cordovan loafers including two different Aldens and my Unlined Shell Cordovan Dukes.

My general thinking now-a-days is to focus on the specialties of the shoemaker. Alden, to me, is the King of Cordovan. I love Alden's wide variety of offerings due to the special models that they work with shops to design. Edward Green's Galway is an iconic boot that is hard to top.

As others here have said, if you can get a good fit on Alden's LHS, it is hard to be more classic than that model. I am a huge fan of their Shell Cordovan models (obviously), but their Unlined Suede models are just superb for the warm days of summer.

I would recommend that you contact an Alden retailer (see first posts of this thread) or visit the FAQ on my AoSD site. They can help you some with sizing, however, I will say that the LHS is particularly finicky from a three dimensional fit perspective. The vamp height is essentially as important as the length and width.

I saw your comment later on Color #8 versus Cigar. Both of them are terrific models and you would be hard pressed to go wrong either way. However, Cigar is MUCH harder to get. A great option is the 986A, which is the Color #8 with an Antique edge if you are looking for more contrast and casual. The Color #8 LHS is a true Alden classic and is an extremely versatile model that can be paired with a wide variety of ensembles.

-Mike

Biogentic

Reaction score
Hi mdubs thanks so much for sharing your blog. really enjoy reading it. Just a question, what is the size that you got for your Alden loafer on VAN last and the EG Duke loafer? This is for reference only, in case there are good sales on the Duke, i can get it one day but probably in calf or suede. In addition, you picked up the same size be it lined or unlined?

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not believe so, but I am actually not completely sure. Actually, they were most recently made by Highland Shoe Company in Maine. The Cape Cod Collection was cancelled when Highland closed a few years back. According to some historical references, the Cape Cod collection had been produced by Rancourt at one point in time. I personally was trying to re-connect the two companies, but haven't really thought of a great way to do it. It would be totally rad to have some Shell Cordovan Alden Cape Cods, but until then, I have been enjoying both my Aldens and Rancourts.

-Mike
Would you happen to know if the Cape Cod horsebit loafers run true to size?

barutanseijin

Reaction score
In addition, you picked up the same size be it lined or unlined?

One of the top loafer experts here has said he finds the differences in LHS versions to be too small to consider a size change:

Cigar LHS.. following up on the LHS size fitting.. as someone who owns many iterations.. Shell, Calf, lined, unlined.. I wear the same size in all. The small variances between them all just doesn’t require size changes.. my 2 cents..

I notice a small difference between the fit of various LHS versions, but then again, each shoe will be slightly different anyway, just due to how they’re made. I tend to agree that the differences are not worth changing size for — as long as you wear them the same way. If you wear them differently, for example socks with one version and not another, then maybe.

Just for reference, from loosest to tightest feel:

Broken-in CXL > Lined shell > Unlined shell

Alden no longer makes the unlined shell cordovan LHS, so that’s maybe not so relevant anymore. The back end of the CXL version is lined, unlined from the strap forward.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hi mdubs thanks so much for sharing your blog. really enjoy reading it. Just a question, what is the size that you got for your Alden loafer on VAN last and the EG Duke loafer? This is for reference only, in case there are good sales on the Duke, i can get it one day but probably in calf or suede. In addition, you picked up the same size be it lined or unlined?

No problem at all and enjoy the blog! I am a little unique in the fact that I wear a narrow width but I go as follows...

10C Alden Lined LHS
10C Modern Alden Unlined LHS
10D Vintage Alden Unlined LHS (I have found that the older (i.e. > 10 years old) Unlined LHSes fit a pidge tighter and I can comfortably wear them without an insole insert).
9.5/10E (UK) EG Unlined Duke (that is equivalent to a US 10D)

Hope that helps you out!

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics