• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreas _Zuo

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I may need your help. I have Alden boots two years before and love it. Then I bought a loafer from website. I wear two or three times and try to clear it due to the rain today. Then I found the surface looks very bad, not so smooth comparing with the picture I could find from Internet. Is there something wrong with the leather? Kindly need your guys’ professional suggestion . Thanks in anyway! 3150BD74-CA63-4193-8127-2336E65484DA.jpeg 5CEDE35F-B21E-4B7D-8F28-2B831EF289B9.jpeg

fernando526

Reaction score
I must admit, the Crowd Funding idea by Alden of Madison is brilliant! I am a big fan of this particular make-up:

Snuff Suede U-Tip (hand-sewn) Boot, made on the Barrie last, with features including: Indy quarter stitching, brass hardware, commando soles, pre-stitch reverse welt with antique edges!
snuff u-tip.png

FAA0CFFF-A1B7-40A5-BDAE-49AE69CB27A8.jpeg

[EXAMPLE ONLY] Snuff Suede Trubalance Indy boot w/ Brass Hardware Combo - Photo Credit: Larry D.

OMG.gif

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I may need your help. I have Alden boots two years before and love it. Then I bought a loafer from website. I wear two or three times and try to clear it due to the rain today. Then I found the surface looks very bad, not so smooth comparing with the picture I could find from Internet. Is there something wrong with the leather? Kindly need your guys’ professional suggestion . Thanks in anyway! View attachment 1447537 View attachment 1447541
I’d use some Venetian shoe cream, really brush it in with a horsehair brush and then apply some Alden leather defender. Should take care of it. Nice loafers!

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have Alden boots/shoes in shell but have been considering trying out Alden offerings in reverse chamois or suede. Aside from aesthetics, what other differences do they have, and why would you choose one over the other?
Both are fantastic. Chamois is excellent for a more rugged look. Suede is more refined and can be dressed up or down. Chamois is a Horween Leather and Alden sources CF Stead suede.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
I only have Alden boots/shoes in shell but have been considering trying out Alden offerings in reverse chamois or suede. Aside from aesthetics, what other differences do they have, and why would you choose one over the other?

I really like the reverse chamois for the ability to not have to worry about it at all. I have a few pair and they get worn any time I might be in a situation that I would otherwise worry about my shoes. For example, took a UTV and hiking tour with the wife, wore my reverse chamois boots and they worked great for riding and hiking. They were covered in dust and mud afterward. Washed them in the sink, gave them a brush with a suede brush, and they look good as new.

Gertoshav

Reaction score
Well, both are fantastic leathers.

Alden's suede is silky, and supple. They do a fantastic job with it, and it's just overall a great leather. Comfortable, breathable, and soft. It's available in a lot of colors -- snuff (medium brown), humus (medium/dark brown), chocolate (deep dark brown), black, navy, loden green, tan (light brown), milkshake (very light brown, almost white), ivory (white), and there may be others I'm forgetting.

Reverse chamois is oily, and rugged. Alden offers it on the roughout/reverse side, which is very nappy, as well as the smooth side, and it's available currently in tobacco (medium/dark brown) as well as earth (dark grey with blue/green/black tones). It used to be offered in navy and hunting green, but those are no longer available.

Chamois is a great choice for a tougher boot to wear hard, especially in rain, but nano-proofed suede is also really versatile and far more rugged than people give it credit for. I personally am a huge fan of both leathers and have multiple pairs in each, for different purposes and for a different feel.
Both are fantastic. Chamois is excellent for a more rugged look. Suede is more refined and can be dressed up or down. Chamois is a Horween Leather and Alden sources CF Stead suede.
I really like the reverse chamois for the ability to not have to worry about it at all. I have a few pair and they get worn any time I might be in a situation that I would otherwise worry about my shoes. For example, took a UTV and hiking tour with the wife, wore my reverse chamois boots and they worked great for riding and hiking. They were covered in dust and mud afterward. Washed them in the sink, gave them a brush with a suede brush, and they look good as new.
Thanks for the responses! So it sounds like a good use case for chamois would be stuff like hiking or yard work, whereas suede is best for all around comfort.

X_dSF

Reaction score
Well, both are fantastic leathers.

Alden's suede is silky, and supple. They do a fantastic job with it, and it's just overall a great leather. Comfortable, breathable, and soft. It's available in a lot of colors -- snuff (medium brown), humus (medium/dark brown), chocolate (deep dark brown), black, navy, loden green, tan (light brown), milkshake (very light brown, almost white), ivory (white), and there may be others I'm forgetting.

Reverse chamois is oily, and rugged. Alden offers it on the roughout/reverse side, which is very nappy, as well as the smooth side, and it's available currently in tobacco (medium/dark brown) as well as earth (dark grey with blue/green/black tones). It used to be offered in navy and hunting green, but those are no longer available.

Chamois is a great choice for a tougher boot to wear hard, especially in rain, but nano-proofed suede is also really versatile and far more rugged than people give it credit for. I personally am a huge fan of both leathers and have multiple pairs in each, for different purposes and for a different feel.
Thanks for such a concluding explanation on alden's suede and chamois. Is there any 'forum-proofed' water repellent spray exists? Just dont want to buy a dozen different sprays to find out the correct one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads