• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather became dry? Did you condition along with way?

yes just a little. I hydrated every few days and added conditioner a couple times. You can’t get around the fact the UV does damage. You just have to monitor constantly to make adjustments.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hatchet Supply murdered out Indys today

1580832373217.jpeg

inTROYspection

Reaction score
If a pair of Aldens don't have the size imprinted on the inside of the boot/shoe, is there any way to determine the width (D, E, C)?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes just a little. I hydrated every few days and added conditioner a couple times. You can’t get around the fact the UV does damage. You just have to monitor constantly to make adjustments.

Very good, thanks! I guess it's like being tanned, even with sunscreen. Your skin is still going to experience some damage.

I haven't faded anything - the way the shell ages naturally is just a fun process that I don't think I want to speed up! Nothing like aging fine wine or a good scotch.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very good, thanks! I guess it's like being tanned, even with sunscreen. Your skin is still going to experience some damage.

I haven't faded anything - the way the shell ages naturally is just a fun process that I don't think I want to speed up! Nothing like aging fine wine or a good scotch.
It just takes. so. long. when you've got larger than a few pairs rotation!

lemmy127

Reaction score
@mdubs Do you (or anyone else) have any tips to finding Alden's, particularly Shell, in B width? I'm in SF, and even at this store they don't stock (and presumably hesitant to MTO for a new customer) shell boots in a B width. I'd also love to try on some 11B boots in shell before committing to a custom order, if AoSF would even take my order.

You're SOL. From my experience, SF and Sherman Brothers have the widest range of narrow width stock (available online at least... maybe DC or Madison have more, but I doubt it). Neither of them stock shell boots. You could wait around for one to pop up on the used market, but there's no guarantee of that happening.

I think your best bet would be to try on either a calf boot or shell shoe in the same last to verify fit. They'll definitely take your order... you just have to pay 100% up front, wait 6-8 months for it to be made, and then you aren't allowed to return it except for defects.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It just takes. so. long. when you've got larger than a few pairs rotation!

Hahahah yes, you are right! Yours is larger than mine - slowly but surely building.

You're SOL. From my experience, SF and Sherman Brothers have the widest range of narrow width stock. And neither of them stock shell boots. You could wait around for one to pop up on the used market, but there's no guarantee of that happening.

I think your best bet would be to try on either a calf boot or shell shoe in the same last to verify fit. They'll definitely take your order... you just have to pay 100% up front, wait 6-8 months for it to be made, and then you aren't allowed to return it except for defects.

@Beaulieu724

No reason to stick to only shell, as you mention. There is a good chance of getting just about anything in calf with stock lasts like Barrie, Aberdeen, Hampton, etc. from ShoeMart.

Beaulieu724

Reaction score
Hahahah yes, you are right! Yours is larger than mine - slowly but surely building.

@Beaulieu724

No reason to stick to only shell, as you mention. There is a good chance of getting just about anything in calf with stock lasts like Barrie, Aberdeen, Hampton, etc. from ShoeMart.
Good point - I love the look of shell but probably best to get a calf boot in my preferred style and last. After a while (and a few bonuses) I'll consider a MTO on a shell in the same size/last (knowing shell doesn't relax as much as calf).

@lemmy127 Thanks for the tip - I called a few shops and Alden of Madison just confirmed; Nobody is stocking B width boots (especially shell).

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good point - I love the look of shell but probably best to get a calf boot in my preferred style and last. After a while (and a few bonuses) I'll consider a MTO on a shell in the same size/last (knowing shell doesn't relax as much as calf).

@lemmy127 Thanks for the tip - I called a few shops and Alden of Madison just confirmed; Nobody is stocking B width boots (especially shell).
If they're standard make-up shell boots, any shop can order B width from the factory with a 14-16 week lead time (typically). If you're doing special make-ups, you'll just have to get on their list and hope to reserve a B width early on.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, to clarify I am not saying that you shouldn't buy shell (except to leave more shell for me :p)!

You should just buy a few styles/lasts from those stores in calfskin makeups (more likely to have B widths in stock on lasts like Barrie and Hampton) to narrow down your sizing and fit. You can either keep or return these makeups. Once you figure out the size you can jump on MTO runs and other fun stuff.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bear in mind Alden doesn't do MTOs...only special make ups in batches through their shops.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barie seems to be more of a casual last to me. Do you all wear Barie lasted shoes/boots with dress slacks?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Barie seems to be more of a casual last to me. Do you all wear Barie lasted shoes/boots with dress slacks?
Depends on the build. I wear these will dress pants:
I also wear my Whiskey Tankers, but they definitely feel more casual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads