• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
what's the favorite of the bunch? I would guess Ravello Jones based on what I've read.

Akeem, wow that is a very hard question. It is like picking your favorite child. Before getting them, I would have said hands down that it was going to be the Ravello Dr. Jones. But there is some darn stiff competition. The Ravello V-Tips are just exquisite and before this year, they weren’t even an option, their construction is somewhat fascinating and the Brass hardware is on point. Ravello Indy Boots - a boot I hadn’t given much actual thought to as it wasn’t really made before are just truly exquisite. The Whiskey WT Boots are another one that I have really wanted for many years and is truly a remarkable pattern - color combination. Finally, the Alden SF Tobacco Chamois Indy Boots with the Brass Hardware just have a special vibe to them - the way that the Berry Gold thread plays with the Brass and Antique is hard to capture and appreciate in pictures. But, in the end, I have wanted the Ravello Dr. Jones since 2012 and between the color - a remarkable shade of Shell Cordovan, the Indy inspired U-Tip pattern, and the beauty of the Plaza Last, its pretty hard to surpass. So... I would concur with your guess and say the Ravello Dr. Jones.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, have all these loafers/saddles in the closet...so have decided to wear a different pair as evening wear every day.

Sounds like a good plan, my life circumstances are a little harder as my wife has a strict no shoes in the house rule. The only time I is allowed to do it is when they are brand new - and then I get the you got another pair of shoes look...

-Mike

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan, my life circumstances are a little harder as my wife has a strict no shoes in the house rule. The only time I is allowed to do it is when they are brand new - and then I get the you got another pair of shoes look...

-Mike
Oh I get that look as well, as I bet a sizable number of us here do also. I am lucky in that the podiatrist said I MUST have footwear on, unless sleeping or bathing. So even though my wife isn't nuts about me wearing shoes in the house, I keep telling her "We live with TWO BIG GOLDEN'S, who track in more stuff than my shoes do". I get buy with it, but I'm also responsible for all the floor care (my choice)

oskrusa

Reaction score

-Mike

Hey Mike, I feel you. My suggestion is to select a few pairs on different colors, wipe down the soles from a place in the house where she can see you, and tell her that those shoes will be for inside (I picked about 8 pairs).

I started doing that since about 4 months ago and now I can wear some pairs inside, and she does not realize when I sneak a new pair in.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey Mike, I feel you. My suggestion is to select a few pairs on different colors, wipe down the soles from a place in the house where she can see you, and tell her that those shoes will be for inside (I picked about 8 pairs).

I started doing that since about 4 months ago and now I can wear some pairs inside, and she does not realize when I sneak a new pair in.
Sneaky....... I'm glad my my wife has as many, if not more, pairs of shoes/boots than me :)

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-Mike

This is hilarious guys. My wife has the same rule and trust me Oscar, while your plan and execution seems workable, my wife would see right through it. Former auditor and she doesn't miss a detail :brick:.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is hilarious guys. My wife has the same rule and trust me Oscar, while your plan and execution seems workable, my wife would see right through it. Former auditor and she doesn't miss a detail :brick:.
And I'm so glad my wife grew up on a farm, and had people tracking in all type of farm stuff.....

oskrusa

Reaction score

Oh man, that's tough.
Mine lost count (or does not care anymore), she feels that I am a lost cause.
However, she might be pretending to not know my trick, treating me like a kid, letting me be so proud of myself for the idea (it is like believing in Santa all over again)... she might perfectly know, but I wont ask her. :satisfied:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh man, that's tough.
Mine lost count (or does not care anymore), she feels that I am a lost cause.
However, she might be pretending to not know my trick, treating me like a kid, letting me be so proud of myself for the idea (it is like believing in Santa all over again)... she might perfectly know, but I wont ask her. :satisfied:
The only thing that scares me, is that my wife may look at the retail prices of the boots/shoes and have a heart attack.....

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife has way more expensive tastes than I do. I actually think she liked me getting into this shoe addiction partly (at least hopefully) because it resulted in me upping my style game but moreso because it gave her a pass to indulge her love of shoes, purses, clothes, jewelry........

Buy all the shoes I want. Just don't wear em on the carpet :p. I can live with that.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife has way more expensive tastes than I do. I actually think she liked me getting into this shoe addiction partly (at least hopefully) because it resulted in me upping my style game but moreso because it gave her a pass to indulge her love of shoes, purses, clothes, jewelry........

Buy all the shoes I want. Just don't wear em on the carpet :p. I can live with that.
I got rid of all the carpet, area rugs only, hardwood otherwise,

oskrusa

Reaction score
The only thing that scares me, is that my wife may look at the retail prices of the boots/shoes and have a heart attack.....

Oh man, that's an excellent point.
It seems that my wife does not want to truly know.
She got a hint of pricing when I brought her to the Carmina store in NYC, to get her properly fitted for a pair of Chelsea boots, and then she saw, in disbelief, the price of the exact Carmina shell boots that were on display and that I was wearing.
Of course I, on the spot, had to come up with the stupidest excuse about a steep sale I got them on. She basically rolled her eyes and carried on... which was a nice way to tell me to shut up, which I did.

vnguyen_md

Reaction score
My wife used to give me crap once my shoes started taking over additional closet space - I told her there are worse things in life to be spending money on other then shoes. (her family in Asia has had a lot of issues with gambling, affairs, mistresses, etc) she thought about it and agreed with me. She's been leaving me to my own devices now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members