• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I8Ix4vH.jpg

Old photo I had of my small shell collection.

Textbook illustration of the benefits of a small but solid core. The color on those 8's are simply incredible. That's how one wears shell. Det's on the front left wings?

Tapping into my inner Dog Mister12 with the two in same day.. except they are loafers.. 108 today.. ahh Aberdeen with low vamp.. no polishing required on these shells.. brush and be done with it.. that overlooked fact initially drove me to shell at the onset of my career. .. and everyone on the street wore king BB Tassels. Jet black ? BB Tassels.. View attachment 1216931 View attachment 1216932

Dang Chip, the color on those 8's is exquisite.

Wow, these are aging quite nicely M-12. One of my fav's as well.

Brogue Military Boots. Aptly named. Everyone can hear me coming in these, no covert ops. But dang, I love them anyway! View attachment 1217041

When you look this good a stealth arrival is not what you want! Well done my-man.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Textbook illustration of the benefits of a small but solid core. The color on those 8's are simply incredible. That's how one wears shell. Det's on the front left wings?

Thank you sir
The SWBs are Ravello shell from Leather soul 10th anniversary.

Dearborn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to trade my two rare shell shoes for other Aldens.

Cigar PTB Double Waterlock Sole 9.5 D (Barrie)
Whisky LHS 9 D (Van)
Color 8 LHS 9.5 D (Van) (This one has been tried on indoors - it does not fit).

Both Cigar and Whisky shoes have never even been tried on, and are new in box. Let me know what you guys got.

oskrusa

Reaction score
Hello pals,
After trying on a pair of Allen Edmonds and learning from my initial mistakes, I just went ahead and installed lulu taps on a pair of Alden boots.
Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture before I started, to illustrate how bad the toe dragging was on this pair. NY concrete is simply unforgiving.

I have not applied any products or edge dressing just yet.

BTW, I went ahead with this task because I enjoy crafting projects and of course, due to the shoe illness we all share on this thread.

20190803_145412.jpg

20190803_143906.jpg
20190803_145119.jpg

As a note, I went too fast with the AE shoes and didn't sharpen the wood chisels enough.
Patience and sharp chisels are two big pieces of the puzzle.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello pals,
After trying on a pair of Allen Edmonds and learning from my initial mistakes, I just went ahead and installed lulu taps on a pair of Alden boots.
Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture before I started, to illustrate how bad the toe dragging was on this pair. NY concrete is simply unforgiving.

I have not applied any products or edge dressing just yet.

BTW, I went ahead with this task because I enjoy crafting projects and of course, due to the shoe illness we all share on this thread.

View attachment 1217328

View attachment 1217329 View attachment 1217330

As a note, I went too fast with the AE shoes and didn't sharpen the wood chisels enough.
Patience and sharp chisels are two big pieces of the puzzle.
Nice job, thanks for posting! Did you have to shave any metal off the tips to make them round/flush with the sole edge?

oskrusa

Reaction score
Nice job, thanks for posting! Did you have to shave any metal off the tips to make them round/flush with the sole edge?

Thanks.
No, i did not have to shave any metal off. I bought lulu taps on 3 different sizes (M[size 50], L[size 60] and XL[size 70]) and the XL was perfect for this pair on Barrie last E-width.
I have about 6 or 7 other pairs that i will apply this procedure in the incoming weeks.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
No, i did not have to shave any metal off. I bought lulu taps on 3 different sizes (M[size 50], L[size 60] and XL[size 70]) and the XL was perfect for this pair on Barrie last E-width.
I have about 6 or 7 other pairs that i will apply this procedure in the incoming weeks.
Again, great job! What length is your Barrie E width? Did you cut around the stitching. Not sure this really matters as the stitching gets worn on the first wear many times anyway. More of a curiosity. Looking forward to seeing the others.

oskrusa

Reaction score
Again, great job! What length is your Barrie E width? Did you cut around the stitching. Not sure this really matters as the stitching gets worn on the first wear many times anyway. More of a curiosity. Looking forward to seeing the others.

Those boots are 8E on Barrie. However, I took a look and the lulu taps on XL are too big for Plaza 8.5E, L size taps are better for the latter, which makes sense since Plaza is a sleeker last.

Did not cut around the stitches. I just flattened the whole thing with the chisels and a wood file.

I just finished another pair, good-old longwings 975 that are on Barrie 8D and I had to shave some metal off with a metal file. Obviously the 8D shoes are narrower than the 8E boots :p .
XL taps remained as the best fit when compared to L, for the 975s.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those boots are 8E on Barrie. However, I took a look and the lulu taps on XL are too big for Plaza 8.5E, L size taps are better for the latter, which makes sense since Plaza is a sleeker last.

Did not cut around the stitches. I just flattened the whole thing with the chisels and a wood file.

I just finished another pair, good-old longwings 975 that are on Barrie 8D and I had to shave some metal off with a metal file. Obviously the 8D shoes are narrower than the 8E boots :p .
XL taps remained as the best fit when compared to L, for the 975s.
Awesome info, really appreciate it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads