• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello Tuesday.......what, that's not a thing?

20180807_051849.jpg
20180807_051841.jpg

Maiden voyage of AoDC wingtips.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before. I read both of the Alden FAQ's but could not find an answer. Here's the question -- can those of us who wear unusual sizes place special orders? I wear a 7.5 3E and the selection of shoes in my size at the Shoe Mart web site is very limited. Indy boots in basic brown calf, a PTB with a lugged sole, and a black calfskin cap toe bal. That's it. They don't have anything else in stock in 7.5 3E.

Suppose I wanted to buy a shell penny loafer, or an Indy boot in a color other than basic brown calf -- is it possible to do this via special order? It sounds like this might require a really lengthy wait. That's OK, but if I'm willing to wait, are there more choices available? Also, how do I place a one-off order like this? Lots of retailers seem to be taking group orders for special Alden x Whatever models, but what about a standard model, with no modifications, in a nonstandard size and width?
The Alden Shop in San Fran website has a good selection of standard models in odd sizes (13B in my case). Check them
https://www.aldenshop.com/DrawSearchBySize.aspx

Or, you can go the PreOrder special make ups route

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before. I read both of the Alden FAQ's but could not find an answer. Here's the question -- can those of us who wear unusual sizes place special orders? I wear a 7.5 3E and the selection of shoes in my size at the Shoe Mart web site is very limited. Indy boots in basic brown calf, a PTB with a lugged sole, and a black calfskin cap toe bal. That's it. They don't have anything else in stock in 7.5 3E.

Suppose I wanted to buy a shell penny loafer, or an Indy boot in a color other than basic brown calf -- is it possible to do this via special order? It sounds like this might require a really lengthy wait. That's OK, but if I'm willing to wait, are there more choices available? Also, how do I place a one-off order like this? Lots of retailers seem to be taking group orders for special Alden x Whatever models, but what about a standard model, with no modifications, in a nonstandard size and width?
No special orders like an MTO. Stock models can be ordered and built in 4-6 weeks. Shoe Mart or one of the two factory stores (San Fransico, DC) stock a good selection of stock models.

If you're looking for something else you need to find a model you like from one of the shops and ask to be notified when they will be placing the next order. When they place a stock order they are usually limited to three widths, so you need to be in early. Be prepared to wait 6-12 months for an order like this.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1015093 View attachment 1015094 View attachment 1015097 I’m a new poster although I’ve read more posts and ogled more shoe photos than I’d like to admit. About a week ago I got an email from The Shoe Mart saying they had my size in some cordovan chukka boots, at a pretty steep discount ($475). I ordered them almost immediately and when I received them, they appeared to be in near flawless condition except for the heels. Has anyone ever seen these patches sewn on a heel like this? If so, any idea why it was done? And if it were you, would you keep them or send them back? It’s almost $300 savings from full retail price, but those patches do seem to ruin the sleekness and simplicity of the boot. Also not sure what issue might lurk underneath those patches...At the same time, though, they do kind of make them a little unique. Any advice would be much appreciated!

It's the lasting process that pull the shell onto the last with too much pressure, causing fracture or crack at heel top. So Alden patch another piece of shell to reinforce it and save it from further structural damage.

Don't worry, keep it and wear in good health (as I got a pair of boot with same patching, haha)

I had a pair with a similar issue except they used calf to cover it up instead of shell. At least yours have that. They look good, and I’d keep them.

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden will do a stock model in a non-stock size but it’s final sale. No returns. Robert at Alden SF told me that in May when I was looking for 11.5B in the snuff LHS. Apparently, this is only a stock size in the shell and calfskin versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads