• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May just be the most photogenic Alden makeup, beauties!
I don’t know gilby, those calf tankers look damn good !! I always think they are shell when I see them.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I absolutely love this make up!!
I'm quite happy with them, they replace an old pair of AE Sheltons in my shoe inventory. The Shelton's just couldn't be brought back to a reasonable usable state (basically I beat the sh*t out of them) so the Aldens are the replacement. Fit is superb and quality better than expected.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What can I say. I'm not a boot guy. I don't like the feel of them on my ankles and none of them seem to fit well and close correctly. Its bad enough I have a 40 pair shoe habit. I don't need to figure out a way to include boots and raise it another 10 pair.
May be out in LA area in late July, early August. If it works out and I am actually out there visiting relatives, want to get together and have an "adult beverage"?

mediocrecomposer

Reaction score
Just got my Alden Indy's re-soled and within minutes one of the soles came undone. I know very little about shoe construction but I was wondering if anyone would comment on this problem. I will obviously be going back to the cobbler to tell him what happened, but could anyone tell me why these shoes came apart this way. Is this just happenstance or just a terrible re-soling? Did the cobbler do this in a way where this was an inevitable result? Was this just not enough glue, or was the cobbler cutting a corner in a huge way? What should I tell the cobbler (other than screw you)?
image1 (1).jpeg
image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got my Alden Indy's re-soled and within minutes one of the soles came undone. I know very little about shoe construction but I was wondering if anyone would comment on this problem. I will obviously be going back to the cobbler to tell him what happened, but could anyone tell me why these shoes came apart this way. Is this just happenstance or just a terrible re-soling? Did the cobbler do this in a way where this was an inevitable result? Was this just not enough glue, or was the cobbler cutting a corner in a huge way? What should I tell the cobbler (other than screw you)? View attachment 956354 View attachment 956355

View attachment 956356
I don't know much about shoe construction or re-soleing, but I think the cobbler should be able to correct this and shouldn't have let it go back to you in that condition in the first place. Maybe they don't know what they are doing?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got my Alden Indy's re-soled and within minutes one of the soles came undone. I know very little about shoe construction but I was wondering if anyone would comment on this problem. I will obviously be going back to the cobbler to tell him what happened, but could anyone tell me why these shoes came apart this way. Is this just happenstance or just a terrible re-soling? Did the cobbler do this in a way where this was an inevitable result? Was this just not enough glue, or was the cobbler cutting a corner in a huge way? What should I tell the cobbler (other than screw you)? View attachment 956354 View attachment 956355

View attachment 956356

From my non-expert perspective, I do not think the welt stitches would fail in this manner if they were fresh applied. It looks like they are cut on the bottom and the stitches on top of the welt look old. It appears that they cut off the old sole, left the welt stitching on and then simply glued a new sole in place as opposed to stitching it together.

mediocrecomposer

Reaction score
It cost me $100! I think I agree as to how it looks like it was re-soled. I think I will get an opinion from another cobbler and then go back to the store and have them do it again.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing update for me
Barrie: 9.5EE or 9.5EEE
Trubalance: 9.5EE
Aberdeen: 10EEE
Hampton: 10EEE
Van: 9.5EE (I should probably test 10EE in this one)

Anyone have a Plaza in EE or EEE? Is the look too squared off?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It cost me $100! I think I agree as to how it looks like it was re-soled. I think I will get an opinion from another cobbler and then go back to the store and have them do it again.
I don't think I would have them do it again, I'd get a refund and send it elsewhere. I agree with the other evaluations, does not look like these were restitched and the cuts seem to confirm that.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would have them do it again, I'd get a refund and send it elsewhere. I agree with the other evaluations, does not look like these were restitched and the cuts seem to confirm that.
A massive +1 for this. That cobbler would be touching anything I owned ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members