• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, dude. Hope Alden can fix it. Looks brutal.

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, am I crazy or does snuff suede seem to change shades like a chameleon? I’ve never owned anything in snuff, but I see all kinds of photos that make it look anywhere from a light golden yellow/brown to a dark muted brown. I much prefer closer to the former than the latter. Have thought about snuff suede Indys from Adam at AoC or snuff suede Tankers from Yenni, but I feel like I can’t get a good handle on real life color.
Alden snuff suede doesn’t differ all that much from Allen Edmond’s, for instance. Real life is closer to the first and latter picture. You probably want either choco or humus suede.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of the #8 medallion cap toe today. Really good fit and comfortable. I look forward to them getting lighter in color with time. I find it odd that I have the same style in black calf and that I like these much better. It must be the shell.

View attachment 909832

Your new MCTs are looking great today Doc!

I have the gg laces on my 403. They are a very tight fit and we’re tough to lace up. I’m hoping they will compress over time because I love the look:

View attachment 909836

Looking awesome! I’ve been waiting for better weather conditions to break out my brasskeys, but now I’m itching to!

AOC all terrain Indies keeping me upright in today’s NYC slush:

View attachment 909837

Looking awesome Pepper!

Maiden voyage for me as well...

jWn73Al.jpg

Stupid road salt dust making its presence known on the left toe already.

Looking superb in your new Semi-Brogues Lemmy.

For those not on IG. Took a pic of my favorite Longwings together before the 5 inch’s of snow fell. Cigar 2017 and Revello 2011. They truly are incredible shoes
View attachment 910045

MrG, those are both incredible looking shoes!

Well guys, I messed up. I must have left the door open to my bedroom and my puppy got into it. He chewed on my Whiskey LWB's pretty good. What's my best option to get these fixed? Send them back to Alden?

View attachment 910250
View attachment 910251

View attachment 910249

Holy crap, nightmare realized right there... I am not sure that that is recoverable, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I would send them back to Alden and see what they say.

-Mike

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Is Alden restoration really $175 nowadays? Ugh. As a follow up - I need my cigar shells restored. Do I have to provide special instructions to ensure that Alden does not re-dye or alter the color in any way? I remember reading that someone sent their color number 8 boots in and they were really nicely lightened/aged but then Alden decided to restore them back to their original color.

doomx

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out my Alden Plaza last size. I went over the sizing thread. I have no experience with Alden. I wear:

AE 5 last size 9D/E. I am between the two but more comfortable in the E. My need for extra width is specific to my 5th toe (and that, mostly on the right foot).

Meermin Ron 8.5uk fits well.

Carmina Soller in 8uk is very comfortable.

Carmina Simpson in 8.5uk.

I am thinking I am a size 9 for the Plaza last based on my readings but wanted to get some expert opinions. Considering a 9.5 as well. All options are for D width (no E available).

Also of importance is the fact that I am looking at a chamois leather version in a boot so medium weight socks are likely.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grant-lasted perf cap's today for me from our good friends at AoC......
20180118_054246.jpg
20180118_054439.jpg

Ouch about the whiskeys. Over time that puppy will return so much love to you and your family that this will seem minor. Having said that, hopefully Alden can assist.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out my Alden Plaza last size. I went over the sizing thread. I have no experience with Alden. I wear:

AE 5 last size 9D/E. I am between the two but more comfortable in the E. My need for extra width is specific to my 5th toe (and that, mostly on the right foot).

Meermin Ron 8.5uk fits well.

Carmina Soller in 8uk is very comfortable.

Carmina Simpson in 8.5uk.

I am thinking I am a size 9 for the Plaza last based on my readings but wanted to get some expert opinions. Considering a 9.5 as well. All options are for D width (no E available).

Also of importance is the fact that I am looking at a chamois leather version in a boot so medium weight socks are likely.

I find plaza to be tricky and it took me a while to get it right. Given that our sizes are close I'm pretty confident that either a 9D or 8.5E should work. 9.5D will be too large.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I messed up. I must have left the door open to my bedroom and my puppy got into it. He chewed on my Whiskey LWB's pretty good. What's my best option to get these fixed? Send them back to Alden?

View attachment 910250
View attachment 910251

View attachment 910249

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....faints.

that would be me when I got home. Good luck dude, that is awful!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 910250
View attachment 910251

View attachment 910249

I’m sorry for your misfortune dude. Dogs do love leather shoes....and simultaneously hate horses.

Those look beyond repair to me, but if you find someone who can do it, be sure to let us know, because he/she is most likely someone I would like to hire in the future.

Good luck man.

djbanor

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm actually not too mad about it. I have reached out to Alden and am waiting to hear back from them.
To my knowledge, Alden keeps (or, at least, used to keep) small batches of leather in reserve from every run of footwear they produce. One reason they do this is to be able to recraft the leather in case of some accident. So there may be some hope yet. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads