• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad combo.
20180111_183651-1.jpg

shellback

Reaction score
I have no Aldens, yet.

Size 12 in Trubalance last and trying to figure out my first buy. Any thoughts on what would work best going from jeans to pants and possibly a suit?

All color 8 shell. PTB (AF53A), Leffot Naval boot, or the Medallion Straight Tip Boot (AOC-9B)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no Aldens, yet.

Size 12 in Trubalance last and trying to figure out my first buy. Any thoughts on what would work best going from jeans to pants and possibly a suit?

All color 8 shell. PTB (AF53A), Leffot Naval boot, or the Medallion Straight Tip Boot (AOC-9B)

I like the Naval boot for those scenarios, followed (closely) by the Medallion Straight tip.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fun fact: I have both of Adam's boots you mentioned on pre-order (June/July delivery).

@M635Guy isn't wrong; the Leffot is probably a good blend and can easily adapt to both. The PTB is probably a bit more casual with the speed hooks and commando sole (Not super noticeable when wearing). Any are good in my book.

shellback

Reaction score
Fun fact: I have both of Adam's boots you mentioned on pre-order (June/July delivery).

@M635Guy isn't wrong; the Leffot is probably a good blend and can easily adapt to both. The PTB is probably a bit more casual with the speed hooks and commando sole (Not super noticeable when wearing). Any are good in my book.
I'd love to get both but am spacing out my purchases. Thanks for the insight and I agree.
I like the Naval boot for those scenarios, followed (closely) by the Medallion Straight tip.
I'm kind of torn but I think you're right. The medallion looks really slick though...

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd love to get both but am spacing out my purchases. Thanks for the insight and I agree.

I'm kind of torn but I think you're right. The medallion looks really slick though...
To me the medallion makes it the boot version of the alt wein, which I love.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone sees leydon chukkas in suede (tan or snuff) in 9, D width, please let me know. Thanks.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NST post some gardening
I might change these to all leather soles .. I dont care for the marks
The Commando sole makes on my left boot vamp from apparently crossing my legs. Leather looks better anyway.
Anybody know what to use to take the rubber off the shell w/out damage?
I've tried lexol to no avail.
F566D503-43CE-4D41-BFA8-81CF8012D968.jpeg
70E8B743-B372-422C-BC45-EE091FA47143.jpeg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
A rare shoe day for me (most of my collection is made up of boots)
Cigar Cap Toe Balmoral Oxfords

Haven’t been checking the forums as much recently but I picked these up just before Xmas and they are phenomenal.
Also, PSA: Citi Shoes is running a 25th anniversary sale. 10% off first pair and 25% off second pair. Phone or in store orders.

Busted these out on a rainy morning. Tried to catch the essence of water drops on the jacket. "Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty."

Still a little damp in the LA area so I went with the commando soles.

Scotch Grain boots today for rain.

Color 8 "Doc. Jones" - Frans Boone

Here's how you start a new year.

The more I wear these, the more I love them:
I kind of wonder if my other penny loafers will ever get used again (the will, but still)

Tough act to follow but I do have a couple that have landed and wanted to share with the group. Both represent a bit of a departure for me. First, some black Shell from our friend at AoC......
Landed yesterday and wore them today......

Hey guys, anyone interested in a trade? 8.5 D trubalance. Picked them up on eBay but just won’t wear them enough to keep them. My guess is they were worn 10 times total (5 by me)

Back in boots today. Mahogany Shell Cordovan Indy Boots.

So psyched about these.. got in on a cancelled order and got them in 4 months

Love mine so much as well, wore them just yesterday!!!

My Brogue shop #8 medallion toe make-up arrived after 5 months, which in the Alden world is not too bad at all. I'm looking forward to getting them next week.

View attachment 906172 View attachment 906173

The make-up I 've been waiting for landed together with yours, wanted to get a pair from BB for so long but my size never shows up, I am glad that Brogue shop decided to make a run in the antique edges, they are absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Thanks M-12. I like chukka's and as such, this is my first pair of black shell that truly excites me. Will definitely be posting live shots on the 27th.

Great info RC Mike. Exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for the assist.

I just went through this and it may have been overkill. While I agree with much of what @madhat recommends, I actually dyed edges and welts. To prepare the edges for the new dye, I wiped them down with Deglazer (which appears to be some really strong rubbing alcohol). Let that set for an hour or so and applied the dye with a standard dye applicator and then it got fun. I used a very small brush (picked up from Home Depot) and painted the welt. I did not use tape because I didn't want to pull any of the 8 dye off so I was simply v-e-r-y careful. I am happy with the results. Below is a before and after shot. The after shot has the tools I used.

Maybe overkill but before I got into Aldens I regularly dyed/recolored my shoes so for me the extra steps came naturally. Going from anything to black is the easiest dye job to do. Give it a shot and post pics of the result. Good luck.

Just a really slick boot. Congrats!

I do not need any more color 8 shoes,

I do not need any more color 8 shoes.

Man, these are nice doc.

Speaking of Hamption, back to basics for me today. Trusty 9015's on a balmy winter day in the Burg.......

View attachment 906226

No mahogany shell, but my favorite Indys I own.

I'll take it offline if preferred, but I'm considering going the other way with some old Florsheims I recently picked up and applied some elbow grease to.

I'm thinking of taking the sole edges to antique, but would want to knock the color of the top of the sole down from black a bit (and the sole edge if possible with a micro-application of deglazer). What does the sole look like after deglazing? I'm assuming it isn't removing all of the color...

Ravello Wingtip Boot x TSM today.

First time ever rocking black shell - brogue knight boot

Tan calf WTB's today

(I don't know why my phone makes them this red...)

Same boot for me today as well

I paid $450 for mine in about the same condition about 8 months ago. Fantastic boot that I would not hesitate buying again. The color in them is incredible.
View attachment 906291

Shoes for court today. Update: Total victory. It must have been the shoes.

clearly i dont wear these enough

Mahogany Alpine grain today.
View attachment 906541

Kid suede chukka is nice - just the heel still to large for me
View attachment 906660

I don't generally baby my shell but today was a particularly crappy weather day in the Burg. Heavy rain and winds that make an umbrella useless. So as I'm deciding on whether I should drive into town (which I hate doing) or stick to my normal bus routine, I magically remembered following advice given by Mac when I first joined the forum about overshoes. Have had them for 3-4 years and today they got their first use. I'm now a fan.....

View attachment 906755

And under the curtain, one of my favorite casual shoes. Grant-lasted NST loafer from AoM......

View attachment 906756

Happy Friday gents.

What new, unworn shoes do you have stashed in the closet?

I have whiskey PTB's, whiskey unlined loafers, C&J whiskey wingtips, and C&J cigar wingtips.

Why haven't I worn them? Darned good question for which I don't have an answer. Sensible thing to do would be to sell them or wear them. But not yet for some reason ...

Epaulet Natural CXL Brixtons from 2012

Ravello plain toes on Leydon.

Unlike @mdubs my shoes only look like I played baseball in them. Crappy weather the past couple of days necessitate a little shoe-maintenance. Before.....

A little water plus 10 minutes or so of elbow grease later......

Man, I love me some shell cordovan!!!

Happy Saturday everyone!

Not a bad combo.

Happy Saturday gentlemen! Some good ole TSM 4065’s today. Have a great day.

Gentlemen, you all are looking great all around. Some great work here and some killer new arrivals.
Love the new Whiskey Tankers, those look superb in brass and it is cool that Citi is celebrating their 25th anniversary.
The edge darkening project looked great @Shawnc , but as others noted, it is much harder to go dark to light without a resole.
@Don L , those Natty CXLs are insane!!!
@kwhitelaw Yes, you need to wear those more. But that particular year of Cigar Shell was particularly "bloomy". I have the DC CT Boots from that batch also and I got Cigar WT Boots from Madison from that batch and they have like instabloom going on.
I have a few pairs that are still BNIB that I need to pull out. I have been working on that already this year...

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Monday. Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafers. Pantherella Khaki Argyles. Brooks Bros Khaki Corduroy Trousers.

Alden Cigar Tassels - 2018-01-08 - 1.jpg

Tuesday. Alden Color 8 Shell Cordovan Plaza Indy Boot. Marcoliani Navy Argyles OTC. Brooks Bros Navy Flannel Trousers.

Alden Color 8 Plaza Indys - 2018-01-09 - 1.jpg

Wednesday. Alden Cape Cod Black Horse-Bit Loafer. Marcoliani Black Argyles OTC. Epaulet Salt and Pepper Donegal Tweed Walt Trousers.

Alden Black Horse Bit Loafers - 2018-01-10 - 1.jpg

Friday. Alden Chocolate Suede Tanker Boots. Pantherella Navy Socks. Brooks Bros Navy Flannel Trousers.

Alden Choco Suede Tankers - 2018-01-12 - 1.jpg

-Mike

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be damned, I finally found a pair of "boots" that fit AND at a great price. I laughed, I cried, it changed my life.

IMG_2572.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New arrival? Yenni or Leffot?

Neither. It's an A of C makeup that went to a member and then from him to me when they sadly did not fit him the way he had desired. I was more fortunate. And better still, these arrived from Brogue with them today as well. Better pictures on both when they get worn out of the house.

IMG_2574.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads