• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good evening. I am really getting into Alden, and up to three pairs in color 8 shell. I see some of you with Cigar, Ravello, Whisky, and various shades of brown shell. How can I get a pair in brown shell?

For starters, buy at least ten more pairs of other stuff first and start kissing some butt. Only sort of joking.

Well, there is a grain or two of truth in there and I understand that frustration. The recommendation to also check out other makers is a good way to go. I found these brown shell LWBs from the AE shoe bank, during a sale no less. Why? I developed a good relationship with the sales associate who knew what I wanted and contacted me when she found a pair. I have purchased 5-6 pairs from her and sent her other people who I knew were looking for certain shoes.

@St Hubbins is partially correct about buying other shoes first. Once again, I developed a relationship with a retailer who has make ups I like and I ordered 3 different shoes from them at various times. I try to be easy to deal with, get in early on an order because I am hard to fit and I pay promptly. Kissing butt? Maybe. I just viewed it as trying to be a good repeat customer who is easy to work with. Then I suddenly got an email asking if I would like to order a pair in one of the shades you mentioned. The commonality in the two accounts is to find a sales associate or retailer and develop a relationship with them and also be willing to look in other places for the colors you desire.

Here are the brown shell LWBs I happen to be wearing today. Not Alden, but now I have some brown shell.

IMG_2825.jpg

Last edited:

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use my iPhone and can't get near the results you have achieved. Keep it up. And Congrats on the new house building. Please, post pix of house under construction, we have built 2 in our 32 years of marriage, and we would do it again if we didn't like this one so much. It's a lot of fun but it helps if both have similar tastes in decorating and finishes.

This is our second. Thankfully the wife and I have the same likes in styles. She always says “If your marriage can withstand building a home you can withstand anything” lol . We are both super excited.. Completion date is Oct 19th which is about as quick as some of my MTO boot orders.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is our second. Thankfully the wife and I have the same likes in styles. She always says “If your marriage can withstand building a home you can withstand anything” lol . We are both super excited.. Completion date is Oct 19th which is about as quick as some of my MTO boot orders.
Funny, my wife has said the same thing when we built both houses. October will be here before you know it.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J.Crew Country Calf, the ones that were in a 9 box but are really 8.5 and yet they fit. I must admit, I don't really "get" the crepe sole, it's comfortable, but I don't quite understand the leather at the toe thing. Also, View attachment 955288 I'm a pretty lousy photo taker. My family jokes that I'm the only person who can take an out-of-focus picture with an auto-focus camera. So I only have cell phone camera pix.

Is the leather on these the same as your two tan country calf boots from Adam (Indy and Michigan)?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the leather on these the same as your two tan country calf boots from Adam (Indy and Michigan)?
Very similar, but not exactly the same. It’s hard to describe, but I think the AOC is first quality and the J.Crew might be second quality. They share the same pattern, but the grain is more pronounced on the AOC and looks better in person. The Crew ones have some weird spots that don’t affect the shoe, but detract from the look a bit.

Dd1101

Reaction score
Thank you all for such a prompt response.
UPDATE: talked to Shoemart so found my way to get some brown shell. BUT after looking at multiple pictures, I might just stick to CJ for brown shell.

Alden makes a amazing #8, and I love the purplish finish on Alden.

For starters, buy at least ten more pairs of other stuff first and start kissing some butt. Only sort of joking.

HAHA.... Not after uncle sam cashes my check...

Except AE won't build you anything anymore and Carmina doesn't have a dark brown shell. C&J might. Not sure about the others.

I have a few AE brown Shell SMUs. I have about 3 CJ brown shells.

If I wanted brown shell, I'd go with C&J.

Love my Cardigan 4s :)

Not custom, but AE does have three standard models available in brown.
Oh. I'm surprised by Carmina; I thought I'd seem some but I'm sure you're right.
Rancourt has espresso, which is a quite dark brown.

I was pretty impressed with the rancourt selection.

Welcome to the shell world. What size are you? Sometimes folks sell some pretty nice condition shells on here. You may get lucky.

10.5D. Got plenty of shell, brown Aldens have me intrigued.

According to his B&S listing, it looks like @Dd1101 already has C&J experience.

YES. have plenty of Shell CJs.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it ok for the edge of your foot to spill over the welt? Some lasts I just can't get wide enough for my left foot. Wondering if this is common in some of your guys fits.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it ok for the edge of your foot to spill over the welt? Some lasts I just can't get wide enough for my left foot. Wondering if this is common in some of your guys fits.
I avoid it because it doesn't feel right to me. Does it feel uncomfortable to you? Can you go up half a size? Are you already at 3E?

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cripes, those are great.

My only regret in ordering snuff suede tankers is that I have to wait several months, and I am constantly tempted to pull the trigger on a pair of snuff suede Indys too for immediate gratification.
Thanks, I really like these. Your Tankers should be awesome, they would add some variety for me, I'm just not a huge split toe fan .

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I really like these. Your Tankers should be awesome, they would add some variety for me, I'm just not a huge split toe fan .

Thanks. I mostly went with the tankers since I already have 7 pairs of Indys (well, had 6 at the time I ordered the tankers). Figured I should branch out, just a little.

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics