• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lstearns33

Reaction score

Alden used to be more generous in sending out replacement laces. The last time I called them, they sent me one pair and I had to first provde the model number. I'd be happy to buy them, but not at $5/pair. Does anyone know if their laces are just re-branded Cordo Hyde laces? If it's not known, does anyone have experience with Cordo Hyde laces? Are they of similar quality? Kiwi laces are crap, as are AE laces. I'm used to Alden quality, but I can guarantee you that they are paying less than .50/pair for them.

I was going to post because I've heard a lot of people say the Indy laces wear out way to quick( don't know about their other laces, I.e. The ones that come with exotics or shell) but the laces that are used on the j crew pacer boot are a better, thicker quality in my opinion and almost the same color brown. Also TZ laces make a good waxed in several different mm sizes and colors.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The laces that came with my 403 are bullshit. They started fraying immediately. Worse than the laces that come with junk sneakers!

The snuff Yenni boots, however, came with fantastic flat wax laces. These should be standard!!

Last edited:

lstearns33

Reaction score

The laces that came with my 403 are bullshit. They started fraying immediately. Worse than the laces that come with junk sneakers!

The snuff Yenni boots, however, came with fantastic flat wax laces. These should be standard!!

Another thing to look forward to with my snuff boots from b+m.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Vass that do that. I can get rid of the shiny spots temporarily, but they always come right back. None of my other suede shoes (about 10 other pair, including boots just like yours from Alden) do it at all.

Thanks for the response! It's on the vamp of both shoes, and has done it pretty much from the beginning.

Hmmm...

MT1982

Reaction score
Back in the Yenni Suedes for a wet start to the morning. I'm trying to figure out if the light lines that appear on the vamp are the equivalent of break in suede of if there is something else going on. It goes away with a suede brush, but reappears quickly when walking.

I think the circled part is rubbing when you walk. Put the boots on and then flex them as if you're taking a step and see if that's what it is. I had a pair of choco tankers for a short period of time and they got a 'bald' spot there from rubbing.

I was going to post because I've heard a lot of people say the Indy laces wear out way to quick( don't know about their other laces, I.e. The ones that come with exotics or shell) but the laces that are used on the j crew pacer boot are a better, thicker quality in my opinion and almost the same color brown. Also TZ laces make a good waxed in several different mm sizes and colors.

All of my Aldens have come with the same type of laces. I had Frans Boone snuff suede para jumpers that came with them (except one lace was missing an aglet), LeatherSoul choco tankers, DC cigar cap toes, and JCrew natty CXL perf cap toes. Same laces with all of them. I didn't know they had other types of laces?

Last edited:

lstearns33

Reaction score

I think the circled part is rubbing when you walk. Put the boots on and then flex them as if you're taking a step and see if that's what it is. I had a pair of choco tankers for a short period of time and they got a 'bald' spot there from rubbing.
Oh I just figured they did, I've only got the 403's at the moment with snuff tankers inbound. Just figured the shell and such would come with better laces, guess not.

stevefok

Reaction score
All of my Aldens have come with the same type of laces. I had Frans Boone snuff suede para jumpers that came with them (except one lace was missing an aglet), LeatherSoul choco tankers, DC cigar cap toes, and JCrew natty CXL perf cap toes. Same laces with all of them. I didn't know they had other types of laces?

They have a soft nylon feel non waxed laces, I think they use that only for 401 403 405 etc. Most of the other boots come with the better think waxed laces.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can see why you think that - it does it more on the other shoe, and deeper in the vamp (nothing to rub it)

jiajia77

Reaction score
do you guys know where can i buy these shoes.

1. color8 long wing boot in barrie last with antique Edge, Commando Sole, light color on edge

2. color8 plain toe blucher in barrie last with antique Edge, Commando Sole, light color on edge

3. color8 tanker boot in barrie last with antique Edge, Commando Sole, light color on edge

thanks to you all

MT1982

Reaction score
do you guys know where can i buy these shoes.

1. color8 long wing boot in barrie last with antique Edge, Commando Sole, light color on edge

2. color8 plain toe blucher in barrie last with antique Edge, Commando Sole, light color on edge

3. color8 tanker boot in barrie last with antique Edge, Commando Sole, light color on edge

thanks to you all

What size?

Anyway, depending on what size you are...

1. Don't know anyone making a long wing boot of any variety, but Brick & Mortar has a short wing boot in Color 8 on commando with antique edges. They don't list what last it is, but looks like Barrie. You'd have to contact them for more info. Here's a pic - http://brickmortarseattle.com/images/color_8_shell_cordovan_wing_tip_boot.jpg

2. Don't know anyone with this model at the moment. There's a few with color 8 ptb's, but none with commando that I could find in my quick search.

3. Color 8 tanker - http://www.contextclothing.com/brands/alden-shoes/alden-context-number-8-shell-cordovan-tanker-boot

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Wednesday forum pals. It will be a busy 48 hours starting today when I receive some blue shell MacNeils, ending Friday with some Alden #8 LWB, 975. Image of the MacNeil make up is included. Better than Christmas. For today #8 cap toes.

Sudonihm

Reaction score
Alden does not have a long wing boot pattern.

Any idea what this is (from Moulded Shoe's Future Arrival list)? I can't find it in any search and thought it might be a boot.

* D6528 Dark Brown Calfskin Long Wing Tip (Modified Last)

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea what this is (from Moulded Shoe's Future Arrival list)? I can't find it in any search and thought it might be a boot.

* D6528 Dark Brown Calfskin Long Wing Tip (Modified Last)

It's a longwing blucher, which some shops call a "Long Wing Tip". Same as this shoe but on Modified instead of Barrie:

https://www.mouldedshoeny.com/new-engand/976-dark-brown-calfskin

Note that Moulded Shoe refers to the 976 as Long Wing Tip.

It will probably look like this (with closed heel and flat welt), except in dark brown calf instead of brown CXL: https://www.mouldedshoeny.com/shop/58806-brown-chromexcel

Alden seems to prefer using a closed heel and flat welt on Modified last LWBs, whereas it refuses to do so on Barrie last LWBs, not sure why.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads