• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J Crew uses the crepe sole a lot. I just think it's way out of place on a sleek blank Tanker. Some special makeups are well thought out beauties.

To me this looks like they got allocated a batch of black shell, they added the brass eyelets because it's a popular look right now and they threw on the crepe sole for the hell of it. Looks like a jumbled mix up to me.

I dunno, looks great to me! Is Barrie last really all that sleek? I always thought "tanker" should apply to something bulky.

Too bad for me JCrew won't do E widths.

bkdc

Reaction score
I dunno, looks great to me! Is Barrie last really all that sleek? I always thought "tanker" should apply to something bulky.

Too bad for me JCrew won't do E widths.

Yup. Wish they had E widths. For boots, I turn to AoC, Brick & Mortar, or Alden of Madison since I really don't mind a 5 month wait to get what I want.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello NST boot x TSM today.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup.  Wish they had E widths.  For boots, I turn to AoC, Brick & Mortar, or Alden of Madison since I really don't mind a 5 month wait to get what I want.

I wish Kafka would stock a shell boot, since they carry Es and I get a 20% patron discount! Comes out to about 100-150$ off US retail.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have gone up a half size and down a width and have had it fit really well....does going up a 1/2 size not give you enough room? My feet are E width when measured.

It won't work because my right foot is half size (10) shorter than my left (10.5), and I fit to the left. Going up yet another size would make the right one unwearable.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hear there is an election today. Be sure to vote for the candidate of your choice, unless it disagrees with my choice. In that case stay home and polish shoes.
smack.gif

The maiden voyage of the vintage Florsheims I put through rehab over the weekend.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear there is an election today. Be sure to vote for the candidate of your choice, unless it disagrees with my choice. In that case stay home and polish shoes.
smack.gif

The maiden voyage of the vintage Florsheims I put through rehab over the weekend.

vcleat.com inspired me to grab a pair to try the straighten-and-restore process, but it is going to have to wait until the Christmas timeframe. Those look great! Mine are 1967 models, so it will be cool to have a pair of shoes older tan I am (assuming I don't ruin them...)

seasquirrel

Reaction score

Ran across an interesting makeup today, but can't seem to pinpoint the last (Seller was not able to help). Has anyone seen the following makeup anywhere or have any more info?

Earth Reverse Chamois Indy Boots
Crepe Soles
Speedhooks

Epaulet did an "Ironside" Indy boot recently, which was Earth Chamois, on the Trubalance last. I don't remember the sole (it might have been commando).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads