• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
360 w/storm welt. Manly boot! 270 on Barrie looks odd to me ..
I was leaning toward storm welt also..I did that look as this would be an entirely casual boot for me - that is why I asked the last folks would want it on - if plaza then clearly not.

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Antique edging my 975s

Thought you guys would enjoy my tutorial on how to give my 975s an antique-looking edge. This old pix shows how the original stock edging was black:

Materials:
-100 Grit sandpaper
-220 Grit sandpaper
-1000 Grit sandpaper
-Allen Edmonds Chili edge dressing

Start by sanding the edges with the roughest edge sandpaper,100, with your thumb and fore fingers. The 100 grit should take off most of the old black edge dressing. The 220 and 1000 grits are basically just to smooth things out and allow the edge dressing to stick. The 100 grit leaves the edges kinda rough. Goes without saying, but be careful not to scratch the uppers.
Also, don’t be afraid to use your fingernails to press on areas of the edging where the black color remains (like mini crevasses) with the sandpaper. There will be find black dust coming off so lay down some newspaper, if you wish.
Last step: apply 2 coats of AE chili edge dressing. Allow 20 minutes or so between coats to allow the edge dressing to dry before applying a 2nd coat.
After 3 sessions of different texture sandpapering (edging will have a “bone” like color):

Final result (bathroom shot):

Final result (outdoor sun shot):

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would keep the specs the same

barrie last
all eyelets
double leather
360 flat welt

if anything, a 270 welt would make them even cleaner.

My suggestion is all eyelets, 270 flat welt, Aberdeen or Tremont, on 1.5 leather sole. Plenty of Barrie and Plaza options out there already. Aberdeen and Tremont are perfect for the wingtip pattern, IMO.

I think the idea is to go for ultimate class - at least that's my vision ;)

Last edited:

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

360 w/storm welt. Manly boot! 270 on Barrie looks odd to me ..

My suggestion is all eyelets, 270 flat welt, Aberdeen or Tremont, on 1.5 leather sole. Plenty of Barrie and Plaza options out there already. Aberdeen and Tremont are perfect for the wingtip pattern, IMO.

I think the idea is to go for ultimate class - at least that's my vision ;)

I guess I am neither manly or classy.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess I am neither manly or classy.

Ha, not what I was implying. I just think that Barrie is a bit chunky and that Aberdeen or Tremont would be more elegant on a sleek dress boot.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time trying Alden boot cream on these 403's. I've tried VSC, as well as Saphirs cxl cream, but I think this actually looks the best of the 3. They shined up nicely.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Indeed chipster, all the best my friend. The big C took both of my in-laws. Wouldn't wish hospice care on anyone. Take care...

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whiskey LHS for driving my wife around all day for her numerous Dr. appointments. Getting our hands around this cancer then gonna kill it.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

May you have the strength to get through this Chip. And may your wife have a speedy recovery.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@chipshot Yes, all the best in your mission

Antmoney14

Reaction score
Hello, I apologize in advance, I did a search but did not find an answer. My question is do you put anything on your shoes when you first get them. I just purchased the JCrew Alden Tobacco waxed long wings. Should I put anything on them prior to wearing? What color creme should I use after?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads