• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Martini Thread

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
stir slowly with three olives on a stainless steel toothpick
wait 2 to 3 minutes for ice to melt a touch

Interesting. I have always been a "bruiser." When I make a martini I shake vigorously. My preferred result is a series of small ice flakes afloat when the drink is poured.

I also pre-chill my glasses and both my gin/vodka and vermouth.

For dry vermouth I use Vya exclusively.

For non-martini cocktails which call for sweet, I enjoy both Vya and (even more so) Carpano Antica.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Anyone here tried the fitty-fitty?

http://www.chow.com/stories/11210

Tried doing one at home, sans orange bitters as I don't have any, but the end result was only barely drinkable. However I like the idea and Wondrich knows his stuff, so I think I'll give this another try when I get some orange bitters.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny Amiga
Anyone here tried the fitty-fitty? http://www.chow.com/stories/11210 Tried doing one at home, sans orange bitters as I don't have any, but the end result was only barely drinkable. However I like the idea and Wondrich knows his stuff, so I think I'll give this another try when I get some orange bitters.
yes, i do have a 50/50 once in a while. in spring/summer, i tend to drink gin-based cocktails only.

hi-val

Reaction score
Gin:vermouth in 4:1 or 5:1 proportion. I drink a martini to drink a mixed drink, not cold gin. Noilly Prat is my go-to vermouth, and I'm thinking of cellaring a bunch of bottles since they changed the recipe and the new big bottles are already on the shelves. Gin-wise, I'm not too picky, and I like the lemon twist.

There's a whole dumbass "macho martini" culture that is a remnant of the 80's that still hasn't died. Drinking a martini where you can't taste the vermouth is like eating a hamburger with no bun. I find that people who fuss about only having a whisper of vermouth in their martini are more interested in other people seeing how picky and fussy they are than actually having a good drink. But eh, chacun à son goût.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
Don't know if I qualify, as my favorite drink is chilled vodka with olives.
However, dirty martinis only work with gin, in my limited experience.
Would someone be kind enough to explain how gin and vodka differ? Also, why does gin makes me howl at the moon, while vodka makes me charming and erudite and exceptionally witty?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I answered (c) and (b), but I'll contribute anyway.

I only use gin. I keep about 4 different types of gin in my bar (Junipero, Old Raj, Tanqueray, Martin Miller). I carry no vodka. I hate vodka. My belief in martinis: drink whatever you enjoy. If you like no vermouth, go for it. If you only like vodka, enjoy. Just don't tell me that what I'm drinking is "wrong". Not everyone has the same palate.

My Martini:
2 oz Junipero gin
0.5 oz Vya Dry Vermouth
2 dash Fee Bro's orange bitters
Garnish with however many olives you prefer. For me - 2.

I shake it all in a shaker loaded with ice and strain into a martini glass. Nothing is pre-chilled except the vermouth.

theber

Reaction score
I have never understood the concept of a martini without vermouth. Because then it is just gin, surely. Which is not a martini. It's cold gin.

Oh, and how do you do your lemon twists as I am apparently completely inept.

aKula

Reaction score
I answered (c) for question 1. Didn't know what to answer for q2, I've never felt the need to replace the gin. 4 or 5 to 1 is my favourite ratio.

Think I'll try a vodka one tonight.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hendricks gin
Dry Vermouth
Sliced cucumber garnish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
Interesting. I have always been a "bruiser." When I make a martini I shake vigorously. My preferred result is a series of small ice flakes afloat when the drink is poured.
i enjoy a shaken martini when i am ordering it at a bar but at home i find it more in keeping with my martini mood to leisurely stir the drink

Sousaphil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian

This is how I like my vodka martinis, and I've read it's more appropriate than the limp-wristed style of far too many bartenders. Just a few vigorous shakes, not like you're trying to mix Kool Aid.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dsc00392hy9.jpg
dsc0667fj4.jpg
dsc00372mi5.jpg
dsc0575zb2.jpg
I've always thought of the Martini (or rather, it's progenitor, the Martinez) as the clear spirit mirror of the Manhattan -- gin for the bourbon, dry vermouth for sweet, olive for cherry. Straight gin martinis are all well and good, but all the extra dry malarky gets on my nerves (order a chilled gin with an olive already!), and I should like the Vesper, but I don't. This is my Martini, which I christened The White Martini. I use the -tini ending as it carries the mantle borne by the Martinez, with properly good gin, and white vermouth from the Vesper, but in the proportions of the Manhattan. I first made it with Vodka (Chopin), but quickly changed to the amazingness that is Junipero. I've not found a better gin for this drink, though I stock, um, several. The White Martini: 2 oz. Gin or Vodka 1 oz White Lillet Dash Maraschino Stir over ice for 25 seconds, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a generous slice of lemon peel, squeezed over the glass. ~ Huntsman

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i enjoy a shaken martini when i am ordering it at a bar but at home i find it more in keeping with my martini mood to leisurely stir the drink
Interesting. I really dislike the texture of shaken Martinis or Manhattans. That viscous clarity of a stirred drink really does it for me. ~ H

SD1

Reaction score
Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray- though I've seen some "boutique " gins lately that I"m curious about trying.
vermouth (gin/vermouth 3:1)
2 olives- always

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads