• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Continuance of the 'look's' easy enough in the summer, pair of shorts, linen or polo shirt, slips ons/loafers, sans socks, ain't hard.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Personnaly i avoid shorts at all cost, except when i am at the seaside and if it is really hot. I avoid linen too as i hate the 'crease' look. I have a Cotton/linen jacket though that is regularly ironed.
If it is really hot i wear a John Smedley thin polo, thin Cotton trousers or eventually very light jeans, and light shoes (with thin socks in the city).

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Reaction score
With summer in mind, I've got an idea for hybrid headwear, aimed at construction workers.
The Paname Hard Hat.
This time next year we'll be millionaires!
1f604.png

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Continuance of the 'look's' easy enough in the summer, pair of shorts, linen or polo shirt, slips ons/loafers, sans socks, ain't hard. 

I agree. In Florida it's hot most of the year but with the thought in mind that original Mods aspired to the look of the cool Southern Europeans (French, Italian etc) I think with a bit of thought it's easy to put together hot weather outfits that give a nod to the look, are situations-appropriate and set you several rungs higher than most of the schlubby riff raff!

I very rarely wear shorts unless at the beach or pool but don't share Clouseau's dislike of linen so have several linen strides in light colours. Usually worn with driving mocs, no socks and a polo shirt. Sunspel rivieras ain't cheap but have the lightest breathable mesh-like weave of all polos for hot days. Switch in sta pressts or light cotton chinos if you don't like linen strides. I also have several linen shirts from Uniqlo (long sleeves, rolled back if necessary) in loads of colours which were about $20 each. They look lovely and crisp when freshly ironed but become very wrinkled and worn-in quickly so you've got to just embrace that or else linen is not for you!

When wearing shorts, for shoes it's either Seavees (linen slip on deck shoe style with rubber soles, a bit like vans) or short white socks and gazelles. Leather loafers with no socks and shorts looks awful to me. Open toed sandals are a no no (they ruined an otherwise exemplary pic there Mr K!) unless they are adidas slide types and you are a stone's throw from the beach or pool!

If you're in Northern Europe where the temperature drops with the sun even in summer, a lightweight jacket like a harrington or a retro track top or Smedleyesque cardigan will work well.

Add in some classic shades and don't forget even if you're 'hat shy' this is a great opportunity to wear a titfer. Get a cheaper Panama hat and see how you like it and even if you're a bit self conscious, if you're on holiday it's not likely you'll see your mates from the pub so you should be immune from inevitable piss taking!

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
With shorts (that i really avoid except if i'm by the sea or the ocean as stated previously) i usually wear espadrilles (the classic/traditional french/spanish model of course), but there are some rare cases (for example if i've got to walk for a while) where i will wear sans socks loafers and shorts. But TBH if i wear shorts once or twice a year that's probably the maximum, if i'm at the seaside you will probably find me at the beach in swimming pants, with either a polo or a Tshirt (Yes: a Tshirt ! An item we never mentioned on this thread ! Sacrilege !) The evening i always wear trousers.
Sans socks loafers looks good with light cotton trousers and a nice polo. Riviera style.
It's not really linen that i don't like, it's the creases that go with it !
I'm afraid Mr K, but i agree with TWD about sandals…

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

@Man-of-Mystery posted this excellent picture the other day on Mod to suedehead. This is a great harrington (i really like how the colors of the outer and the tartan 'blend' together), a central element to the Look. Following a discussion i had with Cerneabbas and Mr Knightley, we propose the harrington survey.
What is your favorite harrington today ?
In my case the answer is simple (and not very original): Baracuta G9.
I own two.

The black one is pre-Lavori (cotton outer)

The dark Navy one is post-Lavori (poly/cotton outer)

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben Nevis in black. My most-worn individual item, now into its fifth spring/summer so starting to look a little faded on the shoulders. Thinking of a Grenfell in navy as its replacement, no reflection on Ben Nevis just my strategy. The Ben Nevis was my re-entry point so just moving along.

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And what a paradox that is. Feel like putting together something to fill the gap this summer. I may report back, or I may not...

Agree with a lot that has been said, no linen or leather for me. Keeping it minimal I'm thinking of my existing 2 Sunspel polos and 1 tshirt put together with Sunspel swim shorts and Sperry CVO, no socks.

(now got the Sperry CVO for £25 at TK Maxx, so just the shorts to go then...)

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Man-of-Mystery posted this excellent picture the other day on Mod to suedehead. This is a great harrington (i really like how the colors of the outer and the tartan 'blend' together), a central element to the Look. Following a discussion i had with Cerneabbas and Mr Knightley, we propose the harrington survey. What is your favorite harrington today ? In my case the answer is simple (and not very original): Baracuta G9. I own two. The black one is pre-Lavori (cotton outer) The dark Navy one is post-Lavori (poly/cotton outer)
Vintage Baracuta G9. No contest. I was in the right place at the right time to get my hands on one. I wish I could remember where I bought that green Harrington, and what make it was. I do remember that the shirt was a baggy American import bought at the Squire Shop. A caveat to Clouseau's comments - the photograph has faded a little with time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads