• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember red Brutus and red Ben Sherman BDs,red socks in early 70s ( not sure about red FPs then,possibly though) and red FPs and the occasional Harrington mid/late 70s.
As a blue I could not wear red although in later years I have (and still do) owned a red polo shirt.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own 2 red lambswool v-necks: one long sleeved and one a slipover. I find them usualy to be appropriate during the Christmas season and not too much else, though I'm sure others will disagree. I posted the below pic before, with the red slipover under a Harris Tweed jacket. I guess I could see myself wearing the red slipover with a stone Harrington, blue oxford buttondown, and jeans, though it wouldn't be my first choice of things to wear. Everybody looks different and thus the same thing can look "right" or "wrong" on different people.

It definitely ain't "The Look
2122.png
" per se, it shares components such as the OCBD with the right buttons on the collar, locker loop, center pleat; a pair of burgundy smooths; an ex-skinhead wearing the togs.
1f604.png

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current, US military, green has always seemed to be part of the look so, despite the negativity, I got a MA2 CWU (Mil-Tec, style no 10404001)

And wow, it feels exactly what an MA1 was back when I first got one - current issue, nothing shiny, nothing extra, looks blank, feels robust, and made by who?

Not in nomex and not by a government contractor - well frankly I can let that slide. Always thought the currently produced Alpha MA1 didn't look or feel quite right compared to how I remembered it, and now I know why (too shiny, too soft, too commercial). Would explain why I didn't remember the Alpha MA1 to be quite as puffy as they are now - they have actually changed.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was red ever a colour back in the day? 

Yes, in 1967 up North. It was very much a minority in surfer jackets, though. The majority were navy with plain navy cuffs, next ice blue with navy cuffs (similar to the Beach Boys' pic), and last red with navy cuffs.

But no matter what impression I give, I don't follow a period look precisely. :)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Wednesday is charity shop day...

Today we had in a denim Trucker by Gap, size L. Not bad for a fairly modern knock-off.

But, more importantly, our local branch of USC is closing down, and selling off Lacoste polo shirts with £16 off the usual price. I thought the red one looked nice, so I bought it.

Also I was surprised to see that they had black Levi truckers in cord, with charcoal fleece lining pretty cheap too. Not Strauss's best style ever, but I have worn an amber cord version with cream fleece for three winters, and they keep you pretty warm.

Many appy polly loggies for the poor quality of the shop photos. They were taken on a crappy old phone.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a 1940s look to me - fedora, wide lapels, wide pinstripe, presumably wide trousers. Pre-dates anything we might be interested in.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just up the road from JS on Thursday so must have a look.
Well, I went to London and all day there was a tiny, nagging, warning voice in my head in the tones of @covskin - saying how many fuc#ing casual jackets do you need?

So, I spent my limited resources instead on grooming products at the Holborn Pharmacy. If anyone is in the area I thoroughly recommend it for Kent brushes and combs, Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving supplies and hard-to-find and now extinct fragrances. 88 Southampton Row.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well, even if i was hearing covskin's Voice saying 'how many fakin jeans do you need' i didn't listen and bought a new 501 - nothing fancy, not LVC, just a nice colour, 'dry', and quite thick for a Levi's - and spent my limited resources for the sales (if I'm serious).

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, even if i was hearing covskin's Voice saying 'how many fakin jeans do you need' i didn't listen and bought a new 501 - nothing fancy, not LVC, just a nice colour, 'dry', and quite thick for a Levi's - and spent my limited resources for the sales (if I'm serious).

I was taken to Costco this week for the first time,its a huge reatail warehouse type place and there is one just outside of Bristol.
They were selling Levi 501 for £45,it seemed quite cheap to me,they also had Armani J31 for £50, I am not sure about jeans in places like that,are they the same as you would buy in other shops ( a bargain then ) or do Levis / Armani have them knocked up with cheaper material just for places like Costco?

NorthCoast

Reaction score
I was taken to Costco this week for the first time,its a huge reatail warehouse type place and there is one just outside of Bristol.
They were selling Levi 501 for £45,it seemed quite cheap to me,they also had Armani J31 for £50, I am not sure about jeans in places like that,are they the same as you would buy in other shops ( a bargain then ) or do Levis / Armani have them knocked up with cheaper material just for places like Costco?

I believe the knock off thing goes on at Costco, but I don't know if it is done everytime.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
I know that Armani and a few others peddle slightly second rate stuff at the likes of Bicester Village- I
believe it's manufactured with bulk buy/ discount rates in mind.
There's probably info on the web regarding this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads