• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Large Feet Thread – dedicated to info on where to get plus size shoes

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

No problem. I figured that I would wait until my EB MTO comes in and then we can work on fit after we have a pair to compare against. Does that sound good?

Sounds great! We are going to order some trial shoes for large sizes but we don't have a specific time frame for this.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a Small feet thread
shog[1].gif

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds great! We are going to order some trial shoes for large sizes but we don't have a specific time frame for this.

I'm sure that would help a bit for so,e of the big feet brethren of ours.

But for me, I'm quite close with both GG and EG now so I just need to wait to get my EB so we can decide if a custom lasts is needed for the future.

justrelax

Reaction score
There is not much in that size range unless you are willing to go up substantially in price. Crockett and jones may be able to work it out on a special order. Tauer and Johnson can do that size and you can customize a lot but in my opinion they are not elegant at all. They are like more of a comfort dress shoe but you may like them. The pricing is more reasonable for the options they offer.

Otherwise most other possible options would be in the $1000 range or higher. It is the narrow part that makes it so tough because there are a few that offer 15 on order but they would probably be way too wide if you're a B.

You are not making me happy!

I appreciate the reply. You are telling me pretty much what I've worked out on my own and you're absolutely right - it's the narrow part that flummoxes me. Bally used to make shoes in my size. So did Ferragamo. No more. I'm not quite ready to go the custom route...yet. My next pair will be the AE Cordovan Strand at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Even on sale there's a certain amount of sticker shock.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You are not making me happy!

I appreciate the reply. You are telling me pretty much what I've worked out on my own and you're absolutely right - it's the narrow part that flummoxes me. Bally used to make shoes in my size. So did Ferragamo. No more. I'm not quite ready to go the custom route...yet. My next pair will be the AE Cordovan Strand at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Even on sale there's a certain amount of sticker shock.

My big feet is actually one of the reasons I got into the business. I wore Crockett & Jones at an age where my friends still wore Adidas and Nike, mainly because it was the only thing I could find in my size. And it's not like you can go back to wearing crap after starting to wear proper shoes. My best recommendation for you is to go with a highly flexible maker such as Enzo Bonafé or St Crispins. Also Edward Green can make really large sizes but they are not adaptable as EB or StC.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My big feet is actually one of the reasons I got into the business. I wore Crockett & Jones at an age where my friends still wore Adidas and Nike, mainly because it was the only thing I could find in my size. And it's not like you can go back to wearing crap after starting to wear proper shoes. My best recommendation for you is to go with a highly flexible maker such as Enzo Bonafé or St Crispins. Also Edward Green can make really large sizes but they are not adaptable as EB or StC.

I agree! Those are the brands who make high quality shoes and offer many options for you too. You are going to pay extra to get shoes anyway so you should at least get the chance to customize them.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And truthfully it is better that Ferragamo and Bally don't make them for you anymore because they charge way to much for their quality.
Santoni can make them too bit they charge a huge premium too.

EB, EG,GG, St C are all great choices if you want top level in narrow but don't want to jump to custom.

AE and Alden can still do it and make it easier for your price range but if course they are lower quality and you will wait quite a long time for Alden.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've spoken to almost if not all of the major and smaller shoemakers (obviously not all bespoke though) and there are a few who can do the length bit almost nine who can do the narrow width.

You also could look into a cheaper custom maker so they would make you a last but just make the shoe at the quality of the entry level brands that we talk about. If you like AE already this may work for you.

justrelax

Reaction score
I much appreciate your insights. I can't say that I "like" AE because basically I'm ignorant. AE makes the best quality and most interesting shoes that fit me and are in my price range. Neil M shoes weigh a ton but wear like iron (and feel like it) and Alden makes maybe two very dowdy shoes in my size. From what you're saying, it looks as though I'll have to bite the bullet and spend four times what I've been spending to get good shoes. If you could mention a good shoemaker in the Philadelphia area or San Francisco, I'd be grateful.

justrelax

Reaction score
And truthfully it is better that Ferragamo and Bally don't make them for you anymore because they charge way to much for their quality.
Santoni can make them too bit they charge a huge premium too.

EB, EG,GG, St C are all great choices if you want top level in narrow but don't want to jump to custom.

AE and Alden can still do it and make it easier for your price range but if course they are lower quality and you will wait quite a long time for Alden.

Forgive my ignorance, but who is GG? The others I know or have figured out.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I much appreciate your insights. I can't say that I "like" AE because basically I'm ignorant. AE makes the best quality and most interesting shoes that fit me and are in my price range. Neil M shoes weigh a ton but wear like iron (and feel like it) and Alden makes maybe two very dowdy shoes in my size. From what you're saying, it looks as though I'll have to bite the bullet and spend four times what I've been spending to get good shoes. If you could mention a good shoemaker in the Philadelphia area or San Francisco, I'd be grateful.

Forgive my ignorance, but who is GG? The others I know or have figured out.

I know how you feel and it is tough to hear but I thought that I should just give you options. If AE works for your feet and you like the styles, I would stick with them.

Alden should be able to make more on special orders as long as the retailer that you are dealing with is putting in an order for that style. That style must be available in a last that is available in your size and it also must have a pattern that is already made for that size, style, and last. It is tough but there should be some options if you ask around. You also would have to wait quite some time.

Tauer and Johnson makes Goodyear welted shoes and they are made to order so you can design pretty much the entire shoe and they will even work with you on making a better combo last if needed. They are in the AE or Alden price range as well so they may interest you if you can find lasts and styles that you like.

The advantage with the higher end shoes is that they are made of better materials, nicer lasts (in my opinion), and let you design almost any aspect of them. You can get just what you want if you are willing to pay the cost of entry.

Sorry, GG is Gaziano and Girling.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you could mention a good shoemaker in the Philadelphia area or San Francisco, I'd be grateful.

In the Philly area there is only Perry Ercolino. He is an amazing shoe maker and is at the top of the bespoke shoe spectrum. He focuses on fit at a level that most can't even imagine in the bespoke world. It takes like 45 minutes. He does charge a lot as well but you could contact him with questions and I'm sure he could tell you what you need rift away so you could decide if that would make a difference for you. He is a great guy!

In San Fran, I know there is AL's attire who make both custom cloths and shoes. I've only seem a couple pairs bit they look like AE Alden type of quality, bit you would get a last to fit you because they modify them to fit you custom. Last I heard they were like $500-600.

I also think that wingtip in San Fran is supposedly working with some shoe companies for custom products but I don't know the details yet.

Hope that helps.

justrelax

Reaction score
In the Philly area there is only Perry Ercolino. He is an amazing shoe maker and is at the top of the bespoke shoe spectrum. He focuses on fit at a level that most can't even imagine in the bespoke world. It takes like 45 minutes. He does charge a lot as well but you could contact him with questions and I'm sure he could tell you what you need rift away so you could decide if that would make a difference for you. He is a great guy!

In San Fran, I know there is AL's attire who make both custom cloths and shoes. I've only seem a couple pairs bit they look like AE Alden type of quality, bit you would get a last to fit you because they modify them to fit you custom. Last I heard they were like $500-600.

I also think that wingtip in San Fran is supposedly working with some shoe companies for custom products but I don't know the details yet.

Hope that helps.

So much appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads